• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery take 2 - Farewell Band "Anna" & welcome MGB "Bob"

top_kat

I never thought I'd be back writing another pre-op diary. Let alone less than 4 years after I had my original band fitted.

It's been a bit of a nighmare journey it has to be said, a massive weight loss (12st) without ever finding restriction, I cannot count the amount of miles I've done travelling across the country for fills to a band that never made any different. I never found that sweet spot (it does exist so they tell me), we never did get to the bottom of the pressure leak and my providers "after care" was they just didn't care.

Anyway, here I am. After 18 months of nightmare health issues with gallstones which has seen me in hospital on and off and not being able to eat anything but jacobs mini cheddars, crackers and crisps. It is not true that only high fat food kicks off gallstone pain, for me it was fruit, fruit juice (particularly apple!), it was vegetables and bread, pasta and potatoes, rice and couscous. Basically everything and so, here I was with a massive weight loss being replaced by an ongoing gain.

Fast forward, a supposed 3-4 week wait list for gallbladder removal turned into 13 months, a simple day case of surgery turned into a complicated surgery with abcesses on the liver and the gallbladder being attached to places it shouldn't. So a day case, turned into 10 days, the one surgery turned into an emergency GA less than 20 hours later, followed by a 3rd (and failed surgery 3 days later). Two days to Xmas they wanted to do the surgery again on Xmas Eve but told me I wouldn't be out for Xmas, so with some persuasion, two drains in place and a supply of Morphine I was allowed home to return between Xmas and New year.

Back again, surgeon refused to do surgery, said it was too soon, so told me I'd have to wait two further weeks. Back out still with drains, I followed up after 10 days only to learn they'd forgotten to book me in. Final surgery scheduled end of Jan.

Thankfully it happened, but I've lost 18 months of being on track, I've regained lots of what I had lost, however the NHS doc wanted the band emptied for surgery, promised me they would refill after.

Lies! All lies.

Paid to go private for a refill and they couldn't get anything in (I'd had over 12mls in there beforfe) and they believe that the 4 surgeries has caused the tubing to kink or there's an issue with the band itself. As it's got a suspected pressure leak, it is not worth me paying for any investigations on something that never worked, so, I've been investigating the MGB.

I am now booked to travel to Belgium on June 30th, to have conversion from Band to Mini gastric bypass with Chris De Bruyne.

I have to start a 30 day pre-op diet which I will begin on May 30th and preparing to do the milk diet for the final two weeks.

Nervous as I shall be travelling alone. Nervous because despite lots of surgeries it hasn't cured my fear of going under anaesthetic. I asked them the same question as my last provider in terms of number of mortalities on the table and it's zero. I wouldn't be going otherwise.

So here I am. Pre-op once again, and about to say farewell to my band "Anna" and welcome to my MGB "Bob" lol

I need an outlet as no-one is going to know (just as they didn't with my band) apart from my DS and my Aunt. If my Mum were here,I'd tell her, but I don't have a wish to tell anyone.

There's been some things that have made me feel like real crap recently
- holiday in March and had to use a belt extender :(
- had to go out and buy bigger clothes :(
- the realisation that I was close to having a Tummy tuck to remove my excess skin and instead my savings are going to be used for this conversion
- I look awful
- my aunt said "It wasn't that long ago that you looked so nice" - well thanks for saying that I now look like crap, even though I'm still 6 stone lighter than I was 4 years ago :cool::(

So . . . here we go. Take two. I'm saying farwell to Anna and welcome to Bob!

Wow Kat you have been through the mill :(
I hope this new surgery gets you where you want to be ..
So your band is still in place. .. but it's not doing anything ? That sucks ..
Keep us updated and good luck on your trip .
Xxxx

Yes, that's right, Still got the band but it doesn't do anything. It never did anything after it was placed. Never been able to find restriction even with 25+ fills. It never took away the feelings of hunger, I never felt satisfied on the portions and the "sweet spot" was never found. I wish I'd been brave enough to have the bypass in the beginning as as the more I've been investigating long term band issues and the more I've been in touch with people with failed bands it's a lot more common than I think a lot of people, myself included realise.

I just want the band gone and to start over.

Yes, that's right, Still got the band but it doesn't do anything. It never did anything after it was placed. Never been able to find restriction even with 25+ fills. It never took away the feelings of hunger, I never felt satisfied on the portions and the "sweet spot" was never found. I wish I'd been brave enough to have the bypass in the beginning as as the more I've been investigating long term band issues and the more I've been in touch with people with failed bands it's a lot more common than I think a lot of people, myself included realise.

I just want the band gone and to start over.
I hear you top cat. I had my band same time as yours. It was either to tight or no restriction. I have only lost 3 stone in that time. Whenever I went on a long flight I had to have the restriction reduced and at one point I had a 12 hr flight and nothing was going down including salvia. I had to go straight to London to have the water out on arrival. I just want it out and have a sleeve. I wish like you I had had the sleeve to start of with but my provider recommended the band.

Wishing you all the very best Kat....you have been my complete inspiration, and will continue to be :) forget the things that have made you feel crap recently ....just know this is the worst you can possibly feel now, onwards and downwards from here on in....... can't wait to hear all those wonderful updates again :) So long Anna ....... welcome Bob x x x x

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear you've had such a tough time of it lately. Have been reading your posts and you've done so well! Fingers crossed surgery goes well and you're back to best soon!

Wishing you all the best Kat although different problems reading this is like re living the last few years of my life I finally said goodbye to my band 21 Jan mine was "Bertie" and hello to "Sid" my sleeve all good so far . Good luck xxx

I hear you top cat. I had my band same time as yours. It was either to tight or no restriction. I have only lost 3 stone in that time. Whenever I went on a long flight I had to have the restriction reduced and at one point I had a 12 hr flight and nothing was going down including salvia. I had to go straight to London to have the water out on arrival. I just want it out and have a sleeve. I wish like you I had had the sleeve to start of with but my provider recommended the band.

Ah, I feel for you. At the time due to my fear of GA having a bypass seemed so extreme, but my provider recommended the band. Having it placed got me in the right mind set but it was going via Weight watchers that helped me to lose the weight as I could (and always have been ) been able to eat what I wanted. But the past 18 months have been a big set back and I refuse to spend the last of my savings looking at the band being fixed especially the more I read on long term failures and the amount of people who go on to have revision surgery. I know of people who had a band, had issues, had it replaced had even more serious issues and now can't have anything because of the damage it's done and I don't want things to get to that stage.

Do you think you will have the sleeve?

Wishing you all the very best Kat....you have been my complete inspiration, and will continue to be :) forget the things that have made you feel crap recently ....just know this is the worst you can possibly feel now, onwards and downwards from here on in....... can't wait to hear all those wonderful updates again :) So long Anna ....... welcome Bob x x x x

Thank you :) I've got a 30 day pre-op to do so I shall be starting in earnest at the end of the week.

Wishing you all the best Kat although different problems reading this is like re living the last few years of my life I finally said goodbye to my band 21 Jan mine was "Bertie" and hello to "Sid" my sleeve all good so far . Good luck xxx

Ah, I'm sorry you've had to say farewell to Bertie, but I'm glad that Sid is doing well :)

H

Ah, I feel for you. At the time due to my fear of GA having a bypass seemed so extreme, but my provider recommended the band. Having it placed got me in the right mind set but it was going via Weight watchers that helped me to lose the weight as I could (and always have been ) been able to eat what I wanted. But the past 18 months have been a big set back and I refuse to spend the last of my savings looking at the band being fixed especially the more I read on long term failures and the amount of people who go on to have revision surgery. I know of people who had a band, had issues, had it replaced had even more serious issues and now can't have anything because of the damage it's done and I don't want things to get to that stage.

Do you think you will have the sleeve?
i. Yes I'm having the sleeve on the 14th of June. In going to Prague to have it done though. Could not afford the 10+ grand they quoted me for the removal of band and then the sleeve.

H

i. Yes I'm having the sleeve on the 14th of June. In going to Prague to have it done though. Could not afford the 10+ grand they quoted me for the removal of band and then the sleeve.

Similar to me, travelling to Belgium because of the silly money they wanted to charge me here firstly to remove the band and then to do revision surgery. I think the only thing I am struggling with thought wise, is that I am travelling alone. Good luck to you hun, it won't be long til Sid arrives :)

Hi top_kat,
Sorry to hear this. I was googling about gastric band providers, the hospital group and the Healthier Weight. I saw your story about the Healthier Weight and the post-care services and everything you mentioned were encouraging. Actually, I booked with them today to do gastric band. Then, I was this topic. What happened? Why did you change your mind? I am mum for 4 kids with 33 BMI and considered for gastric band.
Thanks

Everything is OK with HW, IF everything is OK. If things start to go wrong, if there are issues then "after care" is a very loose description of what they offer. As such, I would never return to them for a procedure. Nor do I feel comfortable saying I am happy with their after care. Some people have an OK experience but we see quite often on a private FB group how many aren't

Don't let this put you off, there are lots of people who are happy, but if there are problems then it's not as straightforward as it seems. I can't wait to get rid of my band and start my new journey.

Thanks very much for your reply. I see what do you mean. I asked about slippage and fault, they said I will have 2 years warranty on the surgery and such complications.

Thanks very much for your reply. I see what do you mean. I asked about slippage and fault, they said I will have 2 years warranty on the surgery and such complications.
I personally think that's the problem. Nothing goes wrong in 2 years. It's after that that you start getting problems. Like I said in my previous post. I would have just gone for the sleeve as I'm now paying double

Thanks Sunshine. Do you recommend having 5 years Warranty?
As the price is only around 300
Thanks
Reem

I personally think that's the problem. Nothing goes wrong in 2 years. It's after that that you start getting problems. Like I said in my previous post. I would have just gone for the sleeve as I'm now paying double

This is not the case at all, it doesn't just go wrong after the two years mine initially went wrong well within that period and there are a number of people I am in contact with who are having issues from as early as 5-6 months and others well within their warranty. The thing is, having warranty is all well and good, but the company is very quick off the mark to pass the buck and to place blame back onto the bander.

Back