• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

closure of the sleeve questions

lulunics

Hello everyone, my surgeon told me he now glues and stitched the sleeve and im wondering what closure you all had on your sleeve and if anyone still got a leak with the double protection closure?
x x

Hi lulunics

The closing of the sleeve, I understand is determined by the size of the bougie used. If your surgeon uses a smaller than standard bougie to maximise weight loss /or if you have a great deal to lose it causes greater pressure (like pipework in the home) inside the sleeve and therefore a greater risk of leaks. This is where the procedure changes from the standard cut and staple to a glue the edges/seams, tuck over the edges and sew/staple. thus giving a tighter seal.

My sleeve was created using a standard bougie however i developed a leek and numerous complications, and continual issues. Using a glue such as tisseel glue, then over sewing/stapling cant be a bad thing as it would mean the seal would be completed before perforating the edges with the needle/staples. I should imagine it would dramatically reduce the risks of leaks, however not completely illiminate them. Ill never know, but can advise that to rectify my leak there were discussions where had it not sealed itself off or began to they were considering removing the staples from my stomach, gluing the edges to form a new seal then doing just this procedure. The only reason it didnt occur was due to the cost of them doing this.

However, weighing up options if it means the leak risk can be reduced and someone spared this its worth every penny, and i should imagine comparible to the cost of the staples used perhaps more competitive and may actually have cost saving implications financially and more importantly with us, the patient and the impacts on our lives and those of our families caused by a leak.

I wish you well with your surgery, do you have a date yet?

Hi lulunics,

From viewing the video of my surgery, my sleeve was done just using staples - no sign of any glue being used. I'm now 8 weeks post surgery and all is well.

All the best with regards to your surgery whatever method your surgeon uses.

AE.

i have clips to close my outer wounds, and staples inside

Hi lulunics

The closing of the sleeve, I understand is determined by the size of the bougie used. If your surgeon uses a smaller than standard bougie to maximise weight loss /or if you have a great deal to lose it causes greater pressure (like pipework in the home) inside the sleeve and therefore a greater risk of leaks. This is where the procedure changes from the standard cut and staple to a glue the edges/seams, tuck over the edges and sew/staple. thus giving a tighter seal.

My sleeve was created using a standard bougie however i developed a leek and numerous complications, and continual issues. Using a glue such as tisseel glue, then over sewing/stapling cant be a bad thing as it would mean the seal would be completed before perforating the edges with the needle/staples. I should imagine it would dramatically reduce the risks of leaks, however not completely illiminate them. Ill never know, but can advise that to rectify my leak there were discussions where had it not sealed itself off or began to they were considering removing the staples from my stomach, gluing the edges to form a new seal then doing just this procedure. The only reason it didnt occur was due to the cost of them doing this.

However, weighing up options if it means the leak risk can be reduced and someone spared this its worth every penny, and i should imagine comparible to the cost of the staples used perhaps more competitive and may actually have cost saving implications financially and more importantly with us, the patient and the impacts on our lives and those of our families caused by a leak.

I wish you well with your surgery, do you have a date yet?
yep that makes complete sense, I have followed your journey and bless you you have had a tough ride, but you always remain positive and that's just amazing :)
I have my date its 2nd October, it should have been the 20th September but they have changed it, im just hoping they don't change it again cus as we all know the waiting is awful.

Lucy x x

um ... from viewing the video of the surgery? oh my - I watch a lot of the progs on TV about surgery, but I am not sure about watching my own! Respect! xxx

My sleeve was stapled with a triple row of staples...no glue.

yep that makes complete sense, I have followed your journey and bless you you have had a tough ride, but you always remain positive and that's just amazing :)
I have my date its 2nd October, it should have been the 20th September but they have changed it, im just hoping they don't change it again cus as we all know the waiting is awful.

Lucy x x

Hey Lucy, hope the time flies by for you. It can be quite nail biting and gruelling. You should be able to enjoy a Christmas dinner of sorts too!

Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated x:)

Hi,
I know! He's so hard core, he can even bear to watch his own video nasty, LOL
LOL you're a bunch of softies :) the only nasty bit was realising what I had done to my poor old body over the years. Rather naively I never realised so much fat attached itself to your internal organs - seeing that alone was a huge incentive to make sure the surgery works and not do that to myself again.

But I am hardcore :D

AE.

AE, I have 2 DVD's of my operations, 10 months and 35kg apart. One of the things that I wanted to see was the difference in my fat :whistle: and it is really interesting to see the difference.

First op, I had a very fluffy blanket of fat down my left hand side and oodles of it on everything else. Second time round, my fluffy blanket was almost gone, and I have virtually no fat around my stomach and other bits that you can see. One of the really weirdest things was that I have a few petal shaped tiny blobs in occasional clumps with about 5 little bits in each.

Nice viewing :peep:

Hi,

LOL you're a bunch of softies :)

But I am hardcore :D

AE.

hee hee - bless you - I have watched all my piercings and tattoos being done (where flexibility allows :eek:) ... I think I would like to have a copy of my surgery, whether I would watch it I don't know..... intrigued though! xxx

i would of loved to see my op being done

Hi,
First op, I had a very fluffy blanket of fat down my left hand side and oodles of it on everything else. Second time round, my fluffy blanket was almost gone, and I have virtually no fat around my stomach and other bits that you can see.
"Fluffy blanket" - a very nice description, I'm glad yours has almost disappeared. Hopefully mine will be doing it over the next few months and years. I certainly don't want to have it back. :eek:

hee hee - bless you - I have watched all my piercings and tattoos being done (where flexibility allows :eek:) ... I think I would like to have a copy of my surgery, whether I would watch it I don't know..... intrigued though! xxx
Now that's hard core - No piercings or tattoos here - maybe I was only that brave because I was fast asleep. :cry: I've now destroyed my own image. :(

AE.

Back