• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused with Sunderland rh

ssot

Im totally confused with Sunderland hopital about this waiting list carry on cant believe the way they treat ppl was told 10 days ago that i was down for operation day end of May( been on list from November 19th 2010 after endoscopy) so still not heard anything rang today spoke to mr smalls sec where she told me she couldn't tell me anything other than it wasnt going to be in next 10 days due to diet ( need to be on it for 10days) i said i thought you gave 4 weeks notice then she started going on about extra lists totally lost me said i had to wait until i appeared on this list then i might get letter with only 10 days notice i think like i say tho might be me getting lost off a bit do you think its cheeky if i ring again tomorrow and say i didnt understand?

We always feel like a pest, but it is best to be informed and understand it. Good luck :)

If i remember rightly from discussions i had with staff during my journey, they give us the approximate date, based on the waiting lists at that specific time.
However from time to time they have increased staff / theatre resources which they utilise to try and reduce the waiting lists and get more people through their ops. Bit of an added bonus !
When i once spoke to the sec she explained that the admin staff only get the lists for those ops scheduled for the next few weeks. The surgeons don't plan too far ahead as they can't always anticipate what resources they might have (in part due to the added capacity created at times to enable them to get through more ops but also due to the odd limitation in resources at times) so rather than mess people about by changing dates, they just release the dates about a month at a time.
I know it means that you don't always get much warning about your date, and it gets frustrating waiting for the postman every morning, but try and hang in there.
I actually only got ten days notice, as they phoned and offered me a cancellation. Luckily i was able to accept it !
Obviously, its quite a while since i had my op, so things could be different now. If you are in any way anxious then give them a call. Just be patient with the secretaries though as they get masses of calls from us anxious patients (i was one of them lol) and at times they do bear the brunt of peoples frustrations x x

i have been emailing the sec for a few weeks now for my date - i asked for it to be after 20th as hubby is away. i got a date for 24th..... then they rang and its changing. i would ring and ask as theres nothing worse than not knowing xxxx even for peace of mind!

finally got my date

Just had phone call got my date for 7th June with Mr Shroeder doing the surgery at Sunderland

Not long to go, Good luck.xx

Just had phone call got my date for 7th June with Mr Shroeder doing the surgery at Sunderland
Good luck with your date of the 7th June.

Will be thinking of you.:)

hi ssot this seems 2 be how they do it at srh its about 6-7 months from endocopy i think,the sec gets a list and rings u out of the blue about 3 weeks b4 ur opp or thats wot happend 2 me,she rang ,said we have a new list just been releasedand we can do ur surgery on the 17th april i had 2 decide there and then and they sent me a diet sheet in the post i had 2 do 10 days b4 my opp,oo yes and you get a pre opp appointment in those 10 days hope this helps understand what she ment but any thing else just ask

SSOT
I see you're from my neck of woods, if you have a firm date you should get a pre op appointment soon (might even be on my list).

Think the reason for so many short notice surgery offers is down to trying to secure extra theatre availabilty which they don't often find out about until a week or so before.

There are so many on waiting list the hospital is trying to catch up with lists, so all I can advise is anyone who is waiting for their date - it might be you getting a phonecall someday soon so try to maintain a steady weight loss if possible but just don't put weight on as this can lead to you getting cancelled if you gain too much from previous appointment especially if you have been previously warned not to gain any more weight or even told to lose weight that you had put on from previous appointment.

Hi Chris
I am doing fine although not updated avatar yet I am now just below 100kg (first time in 20 years), are you keeping well?

Back