• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Daybreak now!

Beth72

A lady about to be on Daybreak at 8.05 talking about her WLS going wrong......needs to eat 5000 cals a day apparently?!

Think I missed the point! Why does she have to have 5000 calories?
She had a bypass didnt she? Why did they keep saying that it was an incredibly rare operation?

Did anyone see it? Puzzled by which procedure she's had as wasn't bypass, sleeve or band, but something more drastic?? Has chronic malabsorption now.

Think the 5000 cals was so she absorbed some of the nutrients maybe? She had some disorder as result of malabsorption that is common in severe alcoholism apparently - very strange though as like you say, didn't really go into why needed so many cals.

It was a total information less article. Didnt say what she had, when, where, NHS or private, what went wrong, why she lost 14 stone in one year, why she developed the alcoholics disease. What they are hoping to achieve in the future.

Totally disappointed.

Thought I'd missed what op she had, but seems it wasn't mentioned. I also wonder why she seems to live off rubbish? Surely if she is mal absorbing actually eating something nutritious may help? Take it she does not dump! It all paints a bad picture.

Looks like she had it at Spire, Leeds! Doesn't say which surgeon - thanks for article Wannabe. Put wind up me a bit as I'm due to have my procedure (sleeve) at Leeds - realise it's a rare complication, but the media werent positive about surgery at all there! Thank goodness for this forum, or we'd all be too scared to move forward after hearing stories like that!

Thought I'd missed what op she had, but seems it wasn't mentioned. I also wonder why she seems to live off rubbish? Surely if she is mal absorbing actually eating something nutritious may help? Take it she does not dump! It all paints a bad picture.

It's actually quite hard to consume 5,000 calories a day post op without resorting to a degree of calorie dense foods such as rubbish. :D My multi-site cancers mean I have to eat more of the calorie dense foods that we would normally avoid post op. I have had to eat every two hours this last year just to get in enough calories to maintain my weight, so I can see why this lady does this.

I haven't read the article nor did I see the piece on Daybreak but it appears from the posts here that it is another scare mongering story about WLS.

Looks like she had it at Spire, Leeds! Doesn't say which surgeon - thanks for article Wannabe. Put wind up me a bit as I'm due to have my procedure (sleeve) at Leeds - realise it's a rare complication, but the media werent positive about surgery at all there! Thank goodness for this forum, or we'd all be too scared to move forward after hearing stories like that!

If you're having a sleeve rather than a DS then you have nothing to worry about as they are very different procedures

I've seen this story going around a bit for a few weeks. It's undoubtly tragic that her health has suffered to that extent. There is however, something that doesn't quite ring true in the reporting. If she was under a dietician I feel sure she would be prescribed something like an ensure shake which has 600 kcals in it, plus there are lots of other fantastic products that are designed to combat chronic malnurishment.

The lady on daybreak now has wernikes encephalopathy as a result of her DS which resulted in chronic malabsorption/malnutrition. Wernikes is a complete lack of thiamine or vitamin B1.

Treatment is high dose B1 and a highly calorific diet which includes lots of carbs and glucose. She has to eat things like curries, cakes etc as they contain carbs and sugar, which in turn is stored as glucose. This is what her body will use for energy and food, due to the chronic malabsorption/malnutrition. That's why she eats what she does and through complete ignorance is why she was slated so much in the daily mail.

I've seen this story going around a bit for a few weeks. It's undoubtly tragic that her health has suffered to that extent. There is however, something that doesn't quite ring true in the reporting. If she was under a dietician I feel sure she would be prescribed something like an ensure shake which has 600 kcals in it, plus there are lots of other fantastic products that are designed to combat chronic malnurishment.

There are but not everybody can assimilate the shakes etc. They tried to give me these things last year but they clogged up my insides something terrible.

There are but not everybody can assimilate the shakes etc. They tried to give me these things last year but they clogged up my insides something terrible.

Also you have to take into account the wernikes. Ensure drinks may not be suitable for treatment of it. I would imagine she is being advised and strictly monitored by a dietician.

Thanks Paula for informing us of the wernikes, poor lady.

[Looks like she had it at Spire, Leeds! Doesn't say which surgeon - thanks for article Wannabe. Put wind up me a bit as I'm due to have my procedure (sleeve) at Leeds - realise it's a rare complication, but the media werent positive about surgery at all there! Thank goodness for this forum, or we'd all be too scared to move forward after hearing stories like that!]

Beth72 please try not to worry about your surgery. I had a gastric bypass at Spire Leeds in June 2011 and I have lost 11 stones 6lb. I feel fabulous now, it has completely transformed my life. The consultant who performed the op (Professor Peter Lodge) was amazing - very kind and friendly, the nursing care was fantastic and the follow up care is marvellous – you get followed-up for three years post-op and if there are any problems at all, you are given the number of the consultant and dietitian. I have had no problems with my bypass, I still have a great social life and I am keeping the weight off. I’m enjoying things that I was unable to before (like swimming and horseriding) and from my own personal experience, I would recommend that anyone who is considering surgery should go for it – it has changed my life! I also know a lot of other people who have had weight loss surgery and they have also had no problems. I hope that reassures you.

Thanks so much Ginger67 - it's very reassuring reading your post. My sleeve is booked with Simon Dexter & I feel confident after meeting him twice. Congratulations on your weight loss - 11 stone is amazing, hardly surprising it's turned your life around for the better. I'm actually having my surgery at the Nuffield Leeds as it's cheaper than Spire, for the same surgeon. Think my package includes 2 years follow up, although his secretary said he usually has an open door policy after that.

Have you been to any support groups in Leeds? I understand Weetwood Hall have 1 this coming Monday, so I may go along to hopefully meet some sleevers/WLS people x

Back