• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

deciding sleeve or not

loz31uk

im going to see psychologist on 15th of may and we gonna discuss then what surgery i want once gastric balloon removed i was thinking bypass but now im thinking more towards sleeve i just want ppls opinions on there experiences and how much weight have you lost and what you can and cant eat and have any of you been ok with alcohol thanks xxx

I'm pretty early on, but I asked myself this question as well. I decided on the bypass, purely because I have so much to lose, and I wouldn't be happy with 50% weight loss which is what my surgeon was saying to me. I also didn't want to regret not having the bypass further down the line.

However, the sleeve does still have a lower chance of dumping and some people lose all the weight they want to with the sleeve.

hi Yvessa im definately thinking sleeve ive research over last couple of days and i think it be better for me than bypass ive been so confused over what to do for last few month and now ive chose sleeve i feel sure its what i want just hoping they will agree xx

loz31uk said:
hi Yvessa im definately thinking sleeve ive research over last couple of days and i think it be better for me than bypass ive been so confused over what to do for last few month and now ive chose sleeve i feel sure its what i want just hoping they will agree xx

Hi I'm 5 month post bypass had it's the best thing I ever did. Iv had no real problems iv lost 8.5 stone so far and would like to lose another 3/4. I can eat most things only have problem with White bread or fresh pasta. Dumping is only mild for ne. I can eat a small amount of the bad stuff!!! But if I push it to far I feel sick and hot ect. But I see that as a good thing. I'm nit sure my willpower would be strong enough alone. I'm glad I dint have to go without but even more relived that I can't eat too much! What ever you chose the result wilt be the same a lighter healthier and happier you! Good luck! Am xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hopefully some sleevers can come give you some insight soon too. I also done the long and hard thinking. It's a good idea, as there is no taking it back lol

You seem settled on the choice of a sleeve. Which from what I have seen is a very good option. My surgeon told me only 10% difference in loss between sleeve and RNY. And even that can be overcome with hard work and following the rules.

Good luck :D I have seen many happy sleevers on here and one of my best mates. So sky is the limit :D

Are you going to have your op in SRH or were you going to Darlington? At SRH the surgeon and his nurse suggested to mme the bypass would be better for me so they probably tell you they don't pressure you but they no better than us, i have really had no problems with my bypass and have recovered well and very quickly. The choice is yours and the surgeons good luck xx

Hi
You can eat anything with the sleeve but carbs like bread and potatoes very little(too filling). Your appetite is hugely reduced, infact you have to remember to eat at the right times because the appetite is just not there. The sleeve leaves the pyloric valve intact, which is a muscle that lets food into the duodenum (small intestine) bit by bit.
My surgeon was very pro sleeve and i was too chicken too go through with the bypass, i wanted the least fiddling around inside as possible! Still cant beilieve i went through with it but glad i did now. :)

Kim

Well if i'm not mistaken but when the surgeon came to see me on the morning of the op he said if for any reason he couldnt do the bypass it would be the sleeve. luckily when i came to he'd been able top do the bypass. xx

Figures say you can lose up to 85% of the weigh you need to lose, my neighbour had the sleeve and is 8lbs under her ideal weight. If your determined you can lose it all.

Kim x

I've also opted for the sleeve for being too chicken to consider a bypass for some reason it seemed a lot more serious and scary (despite them still chopping my stomach for a sleeve!)

Sorry I can't offer more help its been interesting to read this thread and see other peoples opinions, good luck with which ever way you go!

Nx

I was told if they couldn't stretch my intestines up to my stomach I may wake up with a sleeve. I signed for that possibility.

The sleeve scared me more than the bypass lol. I think it's because when my mate described her op and blanched. It created a strange phobia lol

Now I feel healed I don't feel like my insides were rearranged. I could have had anything done for all I know lol

Hi I had a sleeve and it was the best thing I have done. Op day I was (15.3) on 4th jan and now I'm (12.3) I have gone from a size 24 to 16-14 I can eat anything just in small amounts :) I had my first drink of alcohol yesterday, and was quite tipsy off one glass of wine lol. Good luck with which ever op you choose :) x

stuckinafatsuit said:
Thats the great thing about healing, thank god cause that 1st month i felt a truck had hit me.

Kim

My mate who had a sleeve said that. She couldn't get her head around the fact that I had hardly any pain a week post op.

The first few days though... I did feel like a truck had ran over me and reversed to check what it had run over lol

After the first week I was feeling very normal.

even drove to London and back for my 2 week check up (about 110 mile round trip). Although I did feel very tired next day.

With the exception of a little pain due to a haematoma on one wound I've been pain free.

Amazed at how quickly the recovery was.

My pain was self inflicted though, i hoovered the stairs and cleaned the bath a week after the op and next day the pain in my stomach was horrendus. I dont have a high pain threshold so i thought i was dying!!

Kim

Shows how different we all are regardless of the op :D

I intend to milk it with my db and make sure he gets the chores done lol! To be fair he is very good as it is but for those 2 weeks I shall definitely relax and get db on the case with the Hoover heye xx

Back