• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Deciedion made Gastric sleeve help

Hedge

I'm 35 yrs old with a long term back condition and my weight has been going up and up to the point where I'm 5ft10 and weight 19st bmi 38 . I've put a lot of my weight on my tummy . I'm under a dietician at the local hospital and in December they should put me on a waiting list to have a gastric sleeve . Which means approximately 10/11 months minimum wait to have surgery . I thought I could wait and try and loose some weighty self or even maintain but it keeps going up so I've finally decided to get a loan and go private .

I'm feeling excited but angry that I couldn't so this on my own but I have now realised it won't happen without surgery. I've been unable to walk properly for the past year which is not getting better . I spend alot of time at home in elastic acted bottoms because if I wear anything else I feel uncomfortable . I've started feeling more health problems like breathlessness , sweating alot more than I would usually, very tired that is also accelerated by the fact I'm on morphine plus other medications for my back . I've started suffering with knee pain so here I am.

I'm worried about my hair falling out ? Excess skin? The feeling after surgery that I want to eat chocolate , cakes and pastry which is my big downfall and not being able to . I'm also wondering which is the best company to use with the best prices. Any help even just some reassurance would be great please .

I found a surgeon called Chris Sutton who sounds great just wondered if anyone else had heard of him ?

Heather

Hi heather, welcome to the group. There is so much information on here, I've had all my questions and more answered just by reading the threads.

I'm having a sleeve in 2 weeks time! Just on my pre op diet at the moment.

My understanding is that afterwards you can still have the occasional treat. There are lots of swaps we can do for things that are less calories/sugar/fat etc. But I've read a lot that people's taste changes so they don't necessarily crave the things they used to. Seeing the weight come on is going to be a huge motivation.

Spend time having a really good look around on here...everyone is so lovely and more than happy to share their experience.

You'll be fine...its an exciting time. New beginnings

Xxxx

Hi, I'm 4 weeks post op (sleeve). I went private because I couldn't be doing with all hoops you have to jump through on the NHS. I got made redundant and thought sod it! I'm just going to go for it.

I had my sleeve done at Kings College Hospital in London. Mr Patel was such a lovely guy, and everything went swimmingly. He cost £7500. He is cheaper than most, but there is no fluff. (Just a pre op, and a dietician comes to see you after the op). If you want psychologists and all the other stuff, then sadly, you will have to pay more and go somewhere else. He was recommended to me, and I would also recommend him

I chose to have a sleeve because the side effects are less drastic. No dumping (rarely), no issues with malnutrician, less risky op, and there should be nothing you won't be able to eat. You will need to eat a protein based diet, because your stomach is smaller (by about 80/85%), you need to ensure you are eating the nutrients for your body to function. However, you will be able to eat some treats.

With the sleeve you generally lose 60/70% of your excess weight. And you will have to work at it.

None of the surgeries are a cure sadly (if you eat puréed mars bars your gonna be in trouble lol) but it is like the ultimate tool.

Good luck!

Back