• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Depression................

Hollyhunny

5 years of waiting
:sigh: need to know about it,
who of you have it
how have you dealt/are dealing with it

how can you get across what your problems are to your GP in a 10 minute slot

as a pre-op gastric bypass wanna-be
how does this affect my surgery and recovery?

thanks gurls and guys

I have suffered with depression for many years, I have been on many meds in the past but Im currently on Effexor. I find them really good. Its a horrible illness, theres no two ways about that, but with meds it is manageable. I am post op bypass and they knew I suffered with it and I saw the psychologist etc and was still passed for surgery, so it shouldnt hinder you :D X

Im new to depression/stress and saw my GP on Wednesday. He has prescribed Citalopram and I havent been to work since Tuesday.

Its not the first time Ive been down, but its the first time Ive been down for so long and unable to snap out of it. For me I think its a culmination of a stressful year and a stressful job. However the GP said it doesn't always need a trigger.

As for what to say to the GP, I really didn't know where to start, and not sure I made any sense. Just poured out whatever was in my head!

He said it could be several weeks before the tablets have any effect. Just hope they start working soon.

It shouldnt affect your surgery, but you may have to see a psyche as part of your pre op procedures.

Hi Sam, I am on the same medication as you and it does work if you give it time.

Hollyhunny - Just tell the doctors exactly how you feel, most of them are brilliant and understand.

Good luck hun. xxx

thanks girls

thank you for the hearfelt replies

it makes me feel somewhat better knowing that Im not alone in the way I am feeling

I went today

the GP said they dont prescribe medication on the first visit so I have to come back Friday?

strange ...

I am on Citalopram too - its really good - just makes you feel "normal"... I certainly notice it if i forget to take my tablet.

Really? that does seem a bit strange, unless she wants to talk to you a bit more in depth on Friday? Also leaving it a full week is a bit much, could they not get you in sooner?

Im pre op too, also on anti depressants. Has had no affect on me being accepted for surgery.

Weird, not known that before, Id say the sooner the better as they take a while to get into the system...hes the doc though so Ill give him the benefit of the doubt ;) x

I am on Citalopram too - its really good - just makes you feel "normal"... I certainly notice it if i forget to take my tablet.

I do too, I have tried to come off them and even got to the point where I was taking about 3 a week, but it seems everytime I try it I have a massive crisis in my life and start taking them again...... LOL

My daughters doctor never gave her anything the first time, perhaps they think you are just having a few low days and might not need anything. Anyway go back Friday dont carrying on suffering hun xxxx

Im new to depression/stress and saw my GP on Wednesday. He has prescribed Citalopram and I havent been to work since Tuesday.

Its not the first time Ive been down, but its the first time Ive been down for so long and unable to snap out of it. For me I think its a culmination of a stressful year and a stressful job. However the GP said it doesn't always need a trigger.

As for what to say to the GP, I really didn't know where to start, and not sure I made any sense. Just poured out whatever was in my head!

He said it could be several weeks before the tablets have any effect. Just hope they start working soon.

It shouldnt affect your surgery, but you may have to see a psyche as part of your pre op procedures.

Hi Sam,
I am really pleased you saw your GP regarding feeling low. you will see a big differance onc ethey have kicked in I promise. I think only wjen you star to feel betterdo youjust how down and for how long you have been. Hope you pick up real soon.

Linski xxx

im also on citalepram, and i know if i miss a day, they are really good, and i get no side effects at all.

suffered on and off losing close relatives etc and was a vicious circle however except from crying the other day as I couldnt take a massive bite of a bacon sandwich with thick crusty bread I have felt so much better starting my journey of losing weight and I think if you hold in your head its not a miracle cure but it is a helping hand just like anti depressants then we will all win. Anti depressants done cure you they help you from drowning you still have to paddle yourself to get out!!

Hi hollyhunny

Ive just been told i have depression
(i had an appointment this morning) Poured my heart out must have sounded like babble, was in there 30 minutes ...

Ive been given citalopram and have to go back in 4 weeks also she mentioned CBT and a weight nurse at the practise ..
I did make a passing comment about weight loss surgery and she said
"lets not go down that route yet"
Not completly sure what she ment xx

Good luck with your journey xx

Hi everyone, am on citalopram too, but only 10mg and it doesn't seem to be making any difference, what dose are you other ladies on? xxxx

Hi Jan,

Im on 20mg myself. Ive been on them for 9 days now, and I do feel slightly better, but am struggling with insomnia which is one of the side effects.

How long have you been taking them hun? Have you seen any improvement in your mood at all?

im on 40mg, and i feel great, i dont sleep well, but thats nothing to do with the tablets, i cant imagine coming off them yet, although one day id like to try it.

Have been on them for about three weeks now, and have just come back from holiday. I was very weepy while I was away, and very down, and spent most of the time on my own in my room. I have a lot of problems going on at home though. Before I went away I asked my OH to find somewhere to live, as felt the relationship was over. He spent the entire holiday sending me texts and messages saying how things were crap for him, and moaning about everything, which didn't help. Now that I am home he wants me to re consider and give our relationship another go. I just don't know what to do. My friends and family think I should get rid, as he is a control freak. I am worried I will be alone for ever etc, and is it better the devil you know etc. We have been together for two years, and have not had an easy time, his business went bust, he had to move in with me as he could no longer afford to rent his place.
Thanks for telling me your dosages, I think I may need to have mine increased a bit xxxxxx

to be honest hun, id go with your gut feeling, dont be worried about being on your own forever, just deal with this present situation, and then you can move on, and feel a lot happier. dont let him manipulate you, even though it will be hard. good luck huni, big hugs xxxx

Back