• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HELP NEEDED..Salford Royal Patient..REPLIES ARE GRATEFUL

emma-louise

my new life!!
hello everyone,

Im hoping anyone who is a salford royal patient can advise me..
Im hoping to have a gastric bypass in the future;
Ive recently attended the one stop clinic,where Ive seen a consultant,dietican,dr new..had sleep tests done etc.
Dr new told me I have to have a psychiatric test done.
From what I was told at the appointment,he said it shouldnt be too lone to get an appointment.
But from what Ive read on here,theres a few stories on having to wait months!
Can anyone tell me who actually does the tests at salford ?
And are you able to ring them to check on progress of you getting an appointment quickly..
Does anyone know what they ask in the tests ?
And has anyone ever been turned down for the operation after having this test done ?
Ive had my hopes built up now,as salford tell me as Ive got this far,my funding will be approved..
Once this test has been done,how long is it before you go on a pre op diet and then given a date for surgery..?
Im hoping you kind people can help,this is major stress time,as I feel you need to ring the hospital to check your progress with appointments or things just take a long time..
Im so mentally ready now! Im just not wanting this psychiatric test to ruin it all.

Im grateful for any replies..

Hi E-L

Dotty Chick had a recent appointment with psych after some major cock up. So she will probably be along in a while with a number & who to contact etc.

At the appointment itself they just discuss what's happening with you at the moment, how long you've had a weight problem, do you have any isses around food, i.e. bulemia (sp) any triggers that make you want to eat.

After my appointment I had to get a further letter of support from my GP as the psychologist I had felt that as I had suffered from depression in the past (after my dad died & I had an accident in 2006) she felt that I although I was informed about the operation, my decision to have a bypass was not coming from someone who was medically stable!

I didn't get to see the lovely Carly in the psych dept. I saw a new psychologist who had a downer on WLS as a whole and who had advised me that surgery wasn't a solution to weight loss, dieticians & psychologists were the right route to take :eek:

I went to see my GP who wrote me a letter of support and then there were no further issues.

As far as being turned down, I'm not aware that anyone ever has been. When I spoke to Mr Ammori's sec about what she had written, she advised me that they have to refer you to psych as part of the package, but what they put doesn't really have much bearing on what you have agreed with your surgeon.

Good luck x

thanks galm,

This whole progress is confusing!!
I mean when I went to the one stop dr ammori clinic,it wasnt even dr ammori I seen it was another doctor??
I cannot even remember his name...its all so stressful..

Hi Emma-Louise, ;)
Gails is right, I had a psych appointment a few weeks ago, the last stop before surgery hopefully. I spoke to someone called Carly who was lovely. She just had a chat with me really, asked about my life, family, eating etc. Asked what I knew about WLS and what happens later and that was it really. She said she had no hesitation recommending me for surgery, thank goodness!
Like Gail said earlier though, I dont know of anyone who has been turned down because of the psych exam. :eek:
Good luck x :D

hi again,

does anyone know how I go about ringing salford on who will be doing my phyciatric test ? and to see how long I have to wait..

Sorry I don't know, mine was a while ago and they always change things.

Do you attend the support group meeting?

There's one next week, Wednesday in the Mayo Building @ 7pm

Someone there may know.

hi galm,

Yes Ive been to the meetings,would dotty chic know ? For my peace of mind,i wanted to ring salford tommorow to check progress..

Hi again,
Ive just found all my letter from Salford Royal and the psychologist is called Dr. Carly Smith, her secretary is called Lyn Pickup. The phone n umber on the letter is 0161-206-5588. If you ring her she might be able to help.
Good luck x :D

To dottychic,

If you get this message(not sure how to get intouch with you)but thanks for your advice and the phone number,for carly at salford.
I have tryed ringing het but not been able to get intouch with her,its been from june 17th I seen dr new now,and was informed I had to see carly.
I still havent had any appointment..,I dont know what to think anymore this whole process is so stressfull!
how long from the one-stop clinic to see carly did it take for you ?

hope to speak to you soon
emma-louise

I have found this thread so helpful, having only just been told that I have been referred to Dr. Ammori. What a lifeline to be able to read other people's experiences. Thank you all so much.

Dr. Ammori's Clinic

:) This is so helpful... as a newbie... I am just finding my feet and awaiting my first appointment. So pleased to have found you all on this site xxx

Hi Emma Louise, I cant understand why you cant get through, Ive never had anty problems. Try this one, 0161 206 0113, I think this is the main number and askj to be put through to the psychology dept. Im not sure how long it will take as I had mine brought forward as they had lost me in the system before and I spoke to a lady from PALS who sorted it for me.
I spoke to Mr Ammoris secretary and she told me the wait for a psychology appointment is pretty long, you shoukld ring them and ask directly they will know better.
Hope you dont have to wait too long as I know how horrible it is when you are sat waiting! Good Luck X

Hiya hun...as the above says really - its a very straightforward appointment and although Gail saw someone different, most people see Dr Carly Smith who has been dealing with us Salford bypassers from day one. I know if anything she can be a little too forward in allowing unsuitable people to have the op :s I find it a bit worrying at times, but it does mean so long as you have your head screwed on about what to expect and of course plenty of support available - ie online on here then you should have no probs ;)
Good luck hun x

Hi Beverlie, :welcome: I see you are having Mr Ammori, if you research him a little you will see he is the "daddy" of WLS lol. You are in safe hands. Good Luck and I hope you have a speedy journey X

Thank you so much Jacqui... lovely to receive your message... I haven't found my way around this website as yet, so apologise if I haven't answered any replies... I am curious to know approximate timescales from acceptance to the first appointment... like so many others... I feel some anxiety but in terms of my health... it is certainly the only way forward for me... do hope you are doing well and so wonderful to see such great encouragement and sharing of thoughts on here... thank you again xxx

Your very welcome, I would say from start to finish (finish being op) approx 12-18 months. I was messed about a bit in between and "lost" a couple of months but had the psych appointment moved up so swings and roundabouts really. The waiting really is the worse thing, it seems like it will never happen to you, but it will. Im just waiting for a surgery date now, probably end of Sept. Feel free to ask anything you want X :D

Hi Emma-louise, my experience with carly was very similar to Jacquis, i found it to be very informal and she put my mind at rest, i saw her just before Christmas and had my op in April.

Aww thank you so much. I do hope that you soon get it behind you, how are you bearing up with such a long wait? I spoke to a lady named Gill today she said I would be getting a letter... sounds like it's a long haul... but better to wait than never... I am feeling unwell due to my diabetes and I had treatment for cancer last year, so I shall be so pleased when I am able to look forward to helping others through there journey... when I reflect upon mine. Kindest regards and sincerest thanks xxx

Hope you are getting along really well Dawny, so great to see the encoragement sharing going on here... all the very best to you xxx

Back