• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello Everybody

IRJ

Hello ime new to this board, but what a board very helpful and interesting although too many women (only kiddin) anyway here goes i spoke to my doctor re surgery in Jan 09 having tried everything and he wrote to Salford Royal re a meeting with consultant Dr JP New who i saw on the 12th March with all my blood results from the doctors for Diabetes, Cholestorol etc which were all fine, i spoke to Dr New for 20 minutes or so about surgery and he agreed with me and my GP that with a BMI of 55 i should have the Gastric Bypass which is what i wanted and was told he would write to my GP asking for funding from our PCT and he would leave a holding appointment for 13th May, my GP duly wrote to my PCT on the 7th April and yesterday i got a letter from the PCT saying that funding had been approved.

Now i go to have my sleep apnea test next wk which i bring home and do and return the next morning, i'me pretty sure i know i have a sleep apnea problem, so will this cause a problem and on my next appt on 13th May will i be given a Op date?

Sorry for the long boring story but i would appreciate any worldly advice you have for me has a board virgin.

Thank you in advance

Hi irj
welcome to minis. there are a few of us here who are under Dr new What a gent he is. im 5 months post op and have lost 6 stone and feel bloody fantastic. there is a support group at hope and when i get the next date i will post it. Mr ammorie will be doing yr op at salford so you will be in safe hands he is a wiz.
keep us upto speed with your journey you have come to a fantastic place just make sure you read read read and ask any questions we are all here to help each other.
hc

hello IRJ im a bander but i just wanted to say :welcome: to minis.

liz xxx

hello IRJ ..... i had sleep test and took back the next day they found i had sleep ap .. and 2 days later i had an appointment for cpap .. thats the machine they give you to take home with a mask and you sleep with it on at night it straps to you head and forces air in ur nose ..

i was waking 37-50 times an hr that i never knew of .. but after having it 5 days i had another small test and it showed it was working for me ..

it will not put a stop to you op if you have sleep ap .. i know people who have dates for there op and still haven't had sleep tests done .. as i was told it don't matter if you have it or not for the operation .. all it means is as long as they know they can make sure ur on enough air through the op ..

have they requested any other tests ?? echo,ECG,cpx,mental health, ?

i got my date from surgeon on my 2nd visit to see him so fingers crossed for you ;o)

Just wanted to say welcome to Minis! I had the bypass but was a private patient, so I cant help you on waiting times etc..sorry! There are plenty here though that do know the ins and outs of the system so I'm sure they will be along soon to help! Congrats on your decision for surgery btw..its changed my life! :)

Kel xxx

Hi:welcome2: IRJ, as far as I'm aware having sleep apnea helps you get the op so I would'nt worry about that. As for a date I can't really help you as I'm having mine done in Sheffield but would like to wish you good luck on your journey. xx Gaynor xx

welcome and good luck! x

Hi Irj I just joined the group yesterday myself and find it totally amazing I am all over the place as I saw my ~GP then got PCT funding Feb and had my first appt last Thursday I had asked for a band but they asked had I considered a by pass My BMI is 48 but I am diabetic and seemingly the bypass is putting many diabetics into remission in varying lengths of time and depending whether diet tablet or insulin controlled
My head is reeling and my hubby listens but think it is difficult for him other than to say 'only you can make that decision' true, but I feel i just want to talk and talk lol.................... I have done loads of research on the band and now redoing on bypass, which probably is the best for me, its just the thought of it I have had an ecg done, and have an appt for 8th May for an echo cardiogram and that is purely because of my age
I can only hope I make the right decision and in the meantime am gleaning all the knowledge and experiences of our friends on Mini

Good luck jay xx

just to give you an idea of time scale i saw dr new on 12th june and had my op on 6th nov. There was a delay as bariatric surgery was new to the hospital and the orignal surgeon retired so they had to appoint the new surgeon who is highly skilled. In that time i had my sleep apnea test a psych appointment that i think is one of the most important assessments as they ensure you are mentally prepared for the life style change you are going to undertake. i also saw the surgeon who once i saw him said 6-8 weeks it was 7.
I had my pre op the week befor my op and had my ecg then along with mrsa. bloods, blood pressure, peak flow and urine test.
hth
hc

Now i go to have my sleep apnea test next wk which i bring home and do and return the next morning, i'me pretty sure i know i have a sleep apnea problem, so will this cause a problem and on my next appt on 13th May will i be given a Op date?

Hi IRJ and :welcome: to Mini's.

I am one of those waiting for a gastric bypass at Salford so I am going through the processes of the new bariatric protocol. It is unlikely that you will get a date at your next appointment. You will get your date after you complete all the pre-op assessments including a psychological evaluation and a meeting with a dietician. You will of course also meet the surgeon before you get your date. SRH do seem to be working hard at making the process faster and smoother.They have a no. 1 hospital in the Northwest and No. 2 countrywide reputation to protect.

I'll give you my time line of the process so far:
GP Referral - late October 2008
SRH Consultant Appointment + funding application: - 19 Dec 08
Funding Approval: - early January '09
Sleep Test:- 17 Feb '09
Surgeon Appointment: - 19 Mar '09
Pre-op assessment: - 20 Mar '09
Dietician - 23 Apr '09
Psychology - tba
Surgery - tba (expected sometime in May)
I have to say though, the delay between the GP referral and actually seeing Drs New/Syed in Dec was the result of a chicken and egg struggle between my PCT and SRH. It was the question of what comes first: the funding or the Consultant appointment? Salford were of the view that funding must be in place before patients are seen by Dr. New and my PCT felt they could only process funding applications on the strength of the Consultants recommendation. That was resolved in Dec. If not for this, I might have been further along in the process.

Best wishes for your process. The surgeons knife should be hovering over your belly soon enough.

Last edited:
Wanted to say Hiya and welcome to minis xx

hi IRJ there are a few guys on here although not all of them post frequently. Welcome to mini's and good luck with your WLS

Hiya IRJ, welcome to this wonderful forum.

[FONT=&quot]Hi IRJ & welcome to our weight loss family. I had my surgery at SR just 1 week before HC. I had my pre-op 8th October and my surgery 29th October but I was part of the backlog clearing that HC mentioned. I was originally slated for July because I met with the previous surgeon end of May and he said 6 weeks until op. That surgeon stepped down & had to be replaced. So, I had to wait until October.

Wishing the best of luck & I know you have a great surgeon and hospital staff who really care.

Nic
[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Hi IRJ,
just read this thread and thought i would just let you know where i am upto (i know we are at about the same stage) and both from blackpool.
Upto now .....
Nov 2008 - first asked my GP for surgery
March 2009 - went back to my GP and he said he would refer me (lovely man!)
23.03.09 Blood tests done for Dr New
02.04.09 First apt at Dr News Clinic
13.05.09 Sleep apnea test done

Just had a call today from Blackpool Fylde Hospital on St Walburgas Rd - they told me that a should receive a letter tomorrow for an apt with surgeon and team on the 1st June 2009. :D

Oh i also had a call from PCT in Blackpool to let me know that i have funding so its been a great week!! Hope you have heard something !!
Sue x

Oh thats fabulous Terri, i love to hear people say its the best decision they have made, i know i am ready for it! Cant wait to be on the losing side with ya :D:D:D

Back