• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The Joy of going through the process

Hi SJ how are you, you haven't posted in a while I'm a little worried as you've been a bit down, how are you getting on now Hun xx

Hi SJ how are you, you haven't posted in a while I'm a little worried as you've been a bit down, how are you getting on now Hun xx

Hi Bling babe

Still no weight change this week and feeling dispondent. Seeing others losing each week I am finding hard. I think its brilliant for them but it is hard when it is not happening for me.
I have been to the gym three times and done my full workout and swimming twice, using about 2000 cal. I have religiously written down my food intake (max of 850 cal per day) so I am really hoping that this week I see some movement. The trainer in the gym said that it would take approx three weeks for my body to get used to being subjected to regular activity and then it should respond. So I am waiting with baited breath to see if it works and if the scales move on Monday morning. My shape has changed and my fitness has increased in four weeks - now doing 25 mins and the treadmill, and I do my arm and core exercises (hoping that core makes itself known at some point!) and 13 km on the bike. I am a sweaty lump when I exit the gym but it feels good. I just want to see the weight shift.
How about you? How are you and how is life? Your holiday is looming isn't it? Mine seems an age away although we have already booked for a repeat performance next year. I still haven't seen anything from Sweetcheeks. I assume she has had a rough time and is just not wanting to seek support here but it would be nice to just find out how she is.

SJ xx

Well done on the exercise. Are you getting enough protein? Your body may have gone into starvation mode and is therefore hanging onto it if you aren't losing...

Hi Bling babe

Still no weight change this week and feeling dispondent. Seeing others losing each week I am finding hard. I think its brilliant for them but it is hard when it is not happening for me.
I have been to the gym three times and done my full workout and swimming twice, using about 2000 cal. I have religiously written down my food intake (max of 850 cal per day) so I am really hoping that this week I see some movement. The trainer in the gym said that it would take approx three weeks for my body to get used to being subjected to regular activity and then it should respond. So I am waiting with baited breath to see if it works and if the scales move on Monday morning. My shape has changed and my fitness has increased in four weeks - now doing 25 mins and the treadmill, and I do my arm and core exercises (hoping that core makes itself known at some point!) and 13 km on the bike. I am a sweaty lump when I exit the gym but it feels good. I just want to see the weight shift.
How about you? How are you and how is life? Your holiday is looming isn't it? Mine seems an age away although we have already booked for a repeat performance next year. I still haven't seen anything from Sweetcheeks. I assume she has had a rough time and is just not wanting to seek support here but it would be nice to just find out how she is.

SJ xx
I really feel for you I can imagine how difficult it must be, fingers crossed for this week, you are doing really well with the gym and swimming I do admire you. Looking at Sam55 reply does make sense it could be a mixture of starvation mode and as you gym instructor said taking a few weeks for the body to become accustomed to the exercise.
It is a worry not hearing from Sweetcheeks, its hard not knowing how she is.
I'm ok thank you. Got my MDT on 1st August, it's really nice to get the first year over and done with and begin the approach to the next nhs hurdle although I have to say it's good having this time to research and be certain I'm doing the right thing, I am certain ! I'm still worried and desperately waiting to her that I can actually have the surgery though.
Take care my love sending lots of positive vibes Xxx

Hi sj sorry the scales still haven't moved for you hunny. You are doing fab with your exercise hunny xxx

SJ Andy74 has posted a thread tonight with an article linked to it about early weight stalls, it may be of some use to you xx

Hope your ok hun? xxxx

Hi Bling Babe
I am just going to read the thread now. Thank you for the pointer. I did break my own rule of not getting on the scales more than once a week and it looks as though there has been some movement downwards. Not a terrific amount but to be honest - anything will do!. I really hammered the gym this week extending the work-out to over an hour in the hopes that it makes a difference.
The downside is that I have a wedding to go to on 8th August and stupidly I bought a beautiful dress in a size 22 to wear. I can get into it but it looks as though I am going to have a baby within the next four weeks - so I have had to emergency shop for something else. I am now so unsure about weight loss and my shape I have settled for a size 26, which is roomy but the last thing I want to look like is a sausage in a skin! As I will be seeing family I haven't seen for a year or more I was hoping to feel thinner and more confident. But it looks as though I will have to do with feeling a frumpy Onslow (character out of Mrs Bouquet sit-com. The Onslows are an embarrassment to Mrs Bouquet!) of the gathering again.
Hope you are doing okay. Any news?
SJ xx

Aw SJ don't say that I'm sure you are going to look absolutely lovely and it's what's inside that really counts x I'm pleased that you have some downwards movement, down is down no matter how small.
It's my weigh day tomorrow so I'll have an idea then of what I have to do before my MDT, the huge problem is that all of the scales in the different rooms at L and D are so different to my work scales by as much as 2kg EITHER way so it's so hard to judge when I'm so close to that cut off point.
I haven't cycled for over 2 weeks now, I want to but can't be bothered, I've been feeling quite low for a few weeks, I'm moody with OH, have forgotten how to smile, just feel flat, went to GP today, it was a locum, he said 'oh I see you have problems sleeping' , yes it's an 8 year long problem actually, I told him I felt I needed a short course of antidepressants so he asked if I would like to try some that will help me sleep, I'm not really one to take tablets, I feel I take enough as it is but I almost bit his hand off, YES PLEASE, so he has prescribed Mirtazapine, I really only want something short term but if I could sleep too that would be a great bonus. I'm hoping they will begin to work on my low mood within a couple of weeks, I just want to be myself again, start cycling again and look forward to our holiday with excitement.
Sorry SJ for the gloomy post
Take care xxx

awwwww @Suffolk Joy Bling Babe is absolutely right. I think you are such an inspiration just by going through surgery. It is still early days and you have already changed shape. Give yourself a pat on the back and a great big hug. You deserve this and you are not the embarrassing one. Please dont think that way. You are an amazingly, strong woman. You will shine wherever you go because your beauty is inside. Hold you head up high and show your family that you are in control of yourself. That in itself can make anyone turn their head. How many people do we know that are always moaning and groaning about things but never change them. I always think they either like moaning and groaning or they are not brave enough to stand tall and make a stand to change things. Change is the biggest thing we fear. Not many people like change, but you have said enough is enough and done something to change. You are so brave. Having WLS is not for the faint hearted. It's a massive life changing decision. You made it, for whatever reasoning.

Go to the wedding and feel beautiful because you are. Stand up and be proud of who you are because you are a tower of strength. Don't worry what the haters think, if they were supporters they will have your back, if they haven't then you don't need them in your life. You are living for you. You have given yourself a second chance.. That will always be good enough. Believe in yourself as much as we do xxxxx :hugs:

Thanks Fee, I'm feeling positive that it will work xx

Hi Bling Babe
I do really hope the tablets click in for you and help. I have been in anti-d's since 2002 when work started to go pear shaped. Landed up on horse pills (prescribed by psychiatrist) and although I am still on them many years later they have been a big help. Over te past 5 years of utter hell at times they have seen me through so that I have been able to cope. Exercise I have found does improve the mind as well - its just that breaking of the cycle to feel able to exercie so that you can get the endorphin's whizzing. But my goodness, sometimes it is the very last thing you can even contemplate doing. Give them a good few weeks to start to take effect, have a bloody good holiday and come back feeling refreshed.

As for MDT - all fingers crossed and toes for 1st Aug. I do think that they should have one central set of scales in the department because as you say even a 1 lb difference makes a big difference to those of us whose life is ruled by our weight. If you are going up or down the smallest difference makes an impact. I would be interested to know if those at the sever end of eating disorders (bulimia and anorexia) are weighed on alternative scales at each appointment or if they use just one? We are as a group exactly the same - just the other end of the scale (excuse the pun!).

I have finally - finally seen a move in the scales. I lost 3.5 lbs this week. Yippee!! I feel very relieved and just want to see it continue now - however small per week I want to see a loss.
SJ xx

It feels so long since I have been able to say I lost some weight this week. A stall so early on for me has challenged my determination to continue and to feel positive about the operation. I never expected to wake up from the op and find myself a size 14 (although I had dreamed of it!!) but neither did I expect to find the weight loss such a struggle. I had allowed for eating minute portions and was in fact perversely looking forward to that but it hasn't happened. By my reading I can eat quite a bit more than most folk after a RNY and I have to sometimes ensure I do not overdo it. Other times I have no interest in food and just want to eat a few grapes and have a glass of milk. Each day I have religiously written down what I eat - calculated the calories and the protein - and sometimes have found myself having only had 35 g protein but 1000+ calories - they are the days I am most ticked off with it all. Other days I have 850 calories, 70 g of protein and feel positive - I just have the daily battle of which sort of day gets the upper hand.

Going to the gym is becoming a habit. I tell everyone who asks that for the next year my job (I am very fortunate to be retired) is to go to the gym 3 times a week, swim twice and focus on me. As I say this I wonder if I am in part trying to convince myself as putting me first goes totally against the grain. I have always put others, husband, kids, family, friends, work, the dogs before me - a good place to hide and be needed and value myself that way. If I am always the one giving and helping, it gives me some value in the world. To turn it round and put myself as No. 1 and concentrate on my needs, my wishes to sort me out seems very self-indulgent and yet necessary. If I don't do it now that I have been given this second opportunity and a tool to make it possible when would it be the right time? I have the income to pay for a gym that I can access each day if I so choose, I have the time. The family demands have slipped away, the kids are adults and hubby is able to do as he wants so there is are no barriers any more to me putting myself front and centre. It just feels very odd, self indulgent at times and frightening. I am aware that I am putting pressure on myself to achieve - do better each time I am in the gym, more lenghts in the pool, better dietary control etc etc. I just need to keep the momentum going forward and keep on moving in the right direction.

So. its 55 lbs down - only another 100 lbs to go!!

SJ xx

Hi Bling Babe
I do really hope the tablets click in for you and help. I have been in anti-d's since 2002 when work started to go pear shaped. Landed up on horse pills (prescribed by psychiatrist) and although I am still on them many years later they have been a big help. Over te past 5 years of utter hell at times they have seen me through so that I have been able to cope. Exercise I have found does improve the mind as well - its just that breaking of the cycle to feel able to exercie so that you can get the endorphin's whizzing. But my goodness, sometimes it is the very last thing you can even contemplate doing. Give them a good few weeks to start to take effect, have a bloody good holiday and come back feeling refreshed.

As for MDT - all fingers crossed and toes for 1st Aug. I do think that they should have one central set of scales in the department because as you say even a 1 lb difference makes a big difference to those of us whose life is ruled by our weight. If you are going up or down the smallest difference makes an impact. I would be interested to know if those at the sever end of eating disorders (bulimia and anorexia) are weighed on alternative scales at each appointment or if they use just one? We are as a group exactly the same - just the other end of the scale (excuse the pun!).

I have finally - finally seen a move in the scales. I lost 3.5 lbs this week. Yippee!! I feel very relieved and just want to see it continue now - however small per week I want to see a loss.
SJ xx
Thank you SJ, I know I really must try to get back into the cycling, if for no other reason but because if I leave it to much longer I'm going to be walking like John Wayne again when I do start !!
SJ I am so very happy for you, you deserve to get that downwards movement, I'm so chuffed and I'm sure it will continue, all that hard work and you reaping the benefits at last xI agree with you on the scales, it wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't so very close to the cut of point, according to work scales I am already below the cut of point, thanks for the message and the fingers and toes xxx

It feels so long since I have been able to say I lost some weight this week. A stall so early on for me has challenged my determination to continue and to feel positive about the operation. I never expected to wake up from the op and find myself a size 14 (although I had dreamed of it!!) but neither did I expect to find the weight loss such a struggle. I had allowed for eating minute portions and was in fact perversely looking forward to that but it hasn't happened. By my reading I can eat quite a bit more than most folk after a RNY and I have to sometimes ensure I do not overdo it. Other times I have no interest in food and just want to eat a few grapes and have a glass of milk. Each day I have religiously written down what I eat - calculated the calories and the protein - and sometimes have found myself having only had 35 g protein but 1000+ calories - they are the days I am most ticked off with it all. Other days I have 850 calories, 70 g of protein and feel positive - I just have the daily battle of which sort of day gets the upper hand.

Going to the gym is becoming a habit. I tell everyone who asks that for the next year my job (I am very fortunate to be retired) is to go to the gym 3 times a week, swim twice and focus on me. As I say this I wonder if I am in part trying to convince myself as putting me first goes totally against the grain. I have always put others, husband, kids, family, friends, work, the dogs before me - a good place to hide and be needed and value myself that way. If I am always the one giving and helping, it gives me some value in the world. To turn it round and put myself as No. 1 and concentrate on my needs, my wishes to sort me out seems very self-indulgent and yet necessary. If I don't do it now that I have been given this second opportunity and a tool to make it possible when would it be the right time? I have the income to pay for a gym that I can access each day if I so choose, I have the time. The family demands have slipped away, the kids are adults and hubby is able to do as he wants so there is are no barriers any more to me putting myself front and centre. It just feels very odd, self indulgent at times and frightening. I am aware that I am putting pressure on myself to achieve - do better each time I am in the gym, more lenghts in the pool, better dietary control etc etc. I just need to keep the momentum going forward and keep on moving in the right direction.

So. its 55 lbs down - only another 100 lbs to go!!

SJ xx
What a poignant post SJ, you can do this, i understand how it must be difficult to put yourself first, try to embrace it. Hugs to you

55lb is an amazing amount to lose @Suffolk Joy . Sometimes its really strange when we do put ourselves first, because of all the years raising a family . You deserve to take time for you and do what you like the best.

So I have done a full 6 weeks in the gym - prompted by a message on the Wellness Account that I had come to the end of that Training Programme and needed to arrange an appointment with a trainer to reset a new training programme. To be honest, since probably week 2 I haven't just done the workout they prescribed but each Monday I go in and push myself to achieve more. More cycling, more walking, more sets and in the past 2 weeks I have even moved myself on to different machines to extend my workout. So the maximum calories I have burned in 1 session has been 796 so my aim is next Monday to beat that and do more, depending on what they set within my new programme. The thing I least like doing is hanging off the wall on straps and doing squats - plays havoc on my knees and the grip on my left hand is suspect so I have landed like a big blob on the floor on my bum when my grasp went. It was one of those moments when I was slightly winded, but way more worried that someone else saw it happen or the instructor would appear making sure all was okay. So, I lay on the floor stretching and bending about waving various limbs about (not my thing at all as I felt like a beached whale) pretending I had of course meant to land on the floor. Getting up was a bugger though. Why are there never any chairs around when you want one?

I have also determined I am not a "no sweat" gym-bunny. I watch some of the ladies come in and do their session. Pony tails wagging in the air-conditioned breeze, barely breaking a sweat looking good in their fitted joggers and sports bra-come-top. Then there is me in a pair of baggy cropped joggers, an oversize t-shirt to hide the lumps and bumps and looking like a doused beetroot after the initial treadmill session. The drips of sweat are wiped away with a sports towel which when I cycle has to be around my neck otherwise I may be in danger of spraying the neighbours. The hair looks as though I have dipped my head in a bucket of water and my t-shirt is plastered to my back. This delightful look is rounded off nicely by being able to check ones self out in the ever present full length mirrors around the gym for the poseurs. Thank goodness if I take my glasses off the world goes suitably fuzzy and I tend to restrain for any eye contact lest it should encourage some sort of discussion.

But with all the blowing and puffing, looking drenched, feeling overheated and tired I am enjoying it. I like to feel as though it is making a difference and that I can sit down in the evening thinking I have earned the rest and I have done something worth while. So I am making it my next months mission to make sure that I swim at least 3 times a week to up the exercise again.

I have also decided that I am not going to weigh myself each week but every other week as I am becoming a wee bit obsessed with it. My shape has changed, my ability to move and I have lost inches around everywhere so the success of the op at the moment cannot solely be determined by weight loss. That is still very important - I want to get rid of the other 100 lbs but I may take a year of more to do that but then again, it took me 52 years to put it all on!

SJ xx

Back