• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

difficult feelings and situations

tinkywinky

SOOO HAPPY to be a loser!
hi all
How do you all deal with difficult feelings and emotions now, that would have sent you to eat before wls?
Also do you have new respect for yourself now?
before wls I would eat through every emotion i felt but im amazed after wls how much I have changed and am sooo proud of myself. Im not saying that i would never had a bad day again (lol - its wls not magic afterall - and yes its early days) but i feel a new respect for myself, body and band thats helping me make the right choices. I try to express my feelings more (good or bad) rather than bury them. Also i no longer think im on a diet and denied anything and if i really want something i will have it. no guilt attached now - i have finally let go of my big guilt stick where food is concerned.
Just wondering how you all deal with things. hope you dont mind me asking but we all learn so much from each other on here, that someone else's coping method could be a lifeline to someone else at crunch time.

Firstly, I think how you have adapted is wonderful, it sounds like you have what it takes to put bingeing and emotional eating firmly in the past now.
Those are really good questions as comfort eating got me in this state in the first place. I think my emotions are coming out more and I let them as much as is acceptable around the kids. I get on the treadmill after the kids go to bed, with my ipod on full blast, thud away like a rampaging rhino (joke) then run a lovely bubble bath and have a face pack.
That's amazing for clearing out the brain fuzz.
I also have some Paul Mckenna and Kelly Howell hypnosis and guided meditation I use in the evenings that seem to be helping since I started using them.
I try and keep busy around the house as well.
I am kind of going cold turkey where I used to eat my feelings back down. I have to say, since I had a moan on here a few days ago I feel brilliant . Thanks everyone for that xx

yh, i really wonder how i'm going to cope. if anything happens round here, which it does a few times a week (4 kids,2 ex hubbies, a partner, and parents i dont speak to!!) i eat..........crap. how do i get my brain/emotions to work with my band?

Hi

At first it felt really strange to not reach for food when I got upset, the first time me and the OH had a blazing row and he stormed off. Normally I would of reached for food and or wine - instead I allowed myself to get angry, he shouldnt of stormed out, then got over it!

Like you I feel very empowered in doing this - hooray for our bands!

Maz x

I have had a bit of a rollercoaster with my emotions but I am currently working with a therapist doing Cognitive Behavourial Therapy.

It helps me learns ways to cope with automatic thoughts when something is not going right.

It's working, really working and I am slowly rebuilding my confidence.

the phyc at my provider said i might need so extra support due to my past/childhood, but didn't unfortunately tell me where i could get some, i'm not in the position to be able to pay!?

the phyc at my provider said i might need so extra support due to my past/childhood, but didn't unfortunately tell me where i could get some, i'm not in the position to be able to pay!?

Hi Julia

See if you can contact his secretary to get an appointment fixed up or alternatively speak to your GP my OH recieves therapy on the NHS. Its once a fortnight but really helps.

yh, thanks i'll do that

I have had a bit of a rollercoaster with my emotions but I am currently working with a therapist doing Cognitive Behavourial Therapy.

It helps me learns ways to cope with automatic thoughts when something is not going right.

It's working, really working and I am slowly rebuilding my confidence.

Hi Caz - Thats fantastic, so pleased its working and helping to rebuild your confidence :D

I too have more respect for my body and watch what I put in my mouth. If I feel emotional I let it out where as before I'd bottle everything up till I exploded. If I'm stressed I walk my horse instead of walking to the fridgexx

Wow, that's really brilliant that you are finding all of these strengths and using them Helen. I think food and the guilt/self loathing that comes along with the excess inhibits development of so many important life skills, like as you say, admitting how you feel, expressing yourself, also learning to say "no" to people and stopping being a people pleaser all of the time.

It really sounds that you are starting to "emerge" if you see what I mean - the road won't always be smooth and even - but while it is, make the most of it and run like hell!

My road is a bit hilly at the moment so have had to slow up a bit.

Lv Jen x

Thank you for starting this post it is extremely helpful for people like myself who are only a few days post op and have still these hurdles to face. TW you sound as if you have come a long way and you should be really proud of yourself. Caz i too am really pleased that your confidence is returning x

This is the hardest part of not eating "EMOTIONS".
I snatch and grab so much then feel like i,me deprived as i have not had time to sit down and eat my mind tells me i,ve not eaten.
So writting it down helps me pre op to make time for meals as a priority( very complex used to doing 10 things at once)

Another thing i do is eat to concentrate again working on this as i know i should slow down, stop and concentrate not eat as it never helps i just get stressed and want more food to help me think !!!!!!!!!

Mia

Back