• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What Do You Think??

Wibble

Hi All. It's almost a year since I was last here, and my op has been scheduled for July 17.
The thing is, I don't know which op to go for, and thought I'd ask those who've "been there and done that". I'm a little concerned that being a type 1 diabetic if I had the bypass and experienced dumping, I could confuse the symptoms for a diabetic hypo and I don't think I want to be doing that. On the other hand, a sleeve shouldn't cause dumping so that's the diabetic issue sorted but would it enable me to lose the weight that I need to? I just keep going over and over this in my head and don't know what to do for the best, and I have to make a final decision. My surgeon says I'm suitable for either op and I will lose weight with either op, and my husband says to go with whichever I feel more comfortable with, but having got to this stage I'm not sure it's about "being comfortable" anymore, just which op would give me the best results in losing weight and regaining my health.
I'd be really grateful for anyone's point of view. Thanks.

Hi Wibble
Not going to be much help here but didn't want to read and run. I had a bypass 8 months ago but didn't have any health problems pre op. I'm sure there are a few people on here who have had a bypass and have said there is a marked improvement in their diabetis. I have been really fortunate in that i haven't dumped since my surgery not everyone does so you may be one of those. Mixie is our resident sleeve expert and acheived so much so i'm sure he will be along soon to help. Good luck with your decision sorry i couldn't be of more help xx

I think it would be a bit irresponsible of any of us to try and persuade you to have one or the other because you have a medical condition that needs careful handling. You really need to ask your surgeon to help you decide for definate taking the medical side into careful consideration as well as your eating habits/problems. Out of the two I would have said the Sleeve but again, I think ask the experts first then when you have gotten the decision you can fire away and ask us whatever you feel ...whoever has the same op as you eventually go for will be more than happy to offer advice. What went smoothly for one person doesn't automatically mean everyone with similar health issues will react exactly the same.
Lots of love and good luck x

Obviously we are going to love the surgery we have had ourselves (providing it's going well!) I had a sleeve 11 weeks ago and have already lost half of my excess weight, so I am very satisfied with my choice.

The bypass probably enables you to lose more weight at first.

Whichever you go for, you have to remember that you will still have to work at losing the weight - and eventually you will have to work just as hard to keep the weight off. Surgery is not a miracle cure - it is a partner to assist you. Food issues will still be there and, if you don't exercise, you aren't going to lose so fast.

Good luck and healthy healing whichever you go for xx

I agree you should discuss it with your surgeon as he is the expect. I would just like to say that as you get nearer you do get doubts it is only natural.

I am sure you will get it worked out in the end.

Good luck for whatever you choose, some good advice given here already.

Thank you all for your replies. I've bashed this out in my head for what seems like the 100th time, and have decided to go with the sleeve. I'll let you know how I get on! Thanks to all again. Alex.

Dont use the idea of dumping as something to put you off it. My bypass peeps dont dump and as long as you stick to a low fat/low sugar diet you should not find dumping a problem anyway.

Do ask your surgeon which they think would be best long term as they are the experts.

Good luck

Back