• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do I have to pay for my cambridge meals?

louisaL

looking to make a change!
Just thought i should check as it was one of the reasons i stopped doing it myself

Sorry honey I have no idea.

when i was told i had to lose weight in order to have my spinal op, i found a chemist that did lipotrim, you used to get this on prescription at one time, it is identical to cambridge, but used in hospitals. now however they wont prescribe it, well my pct wont, i could only afford to do it for a few weeks, and i did lose weight, but, as we all know, it soon came back on. so i opted for wls.
i would ask at your doctors, bt id be surprised if they will give it to you, however they might do lipotrim on script. worth asking. good luck

I would like to think it wasn't available on prescription, but either way I hope you can find out for sure. xxx

I would like to think it wasn't available on prescription, but either way I hope you can find out for sure. xxx

I agree.

I can see the reason for someone being put on a prescribed liquid diet like lipotrim for a short period to ready them for surgery, but with the huge percentage of failures with all these liquid diets I would not want it to be the norm that the purveyors of these fad diets get richer than they already are on the back of the already beleaguered NHS

Call up the L&D and ask them they would be able to tell you. Was it them who told you to do it or have the 'suggested' it.....that one word might make a big difference :sigh:

Let us know what they say!

I have asked my G.P(the none supportive surgery!!)
I was told I couldn't get on prescription...but it could just be them being penny pinching....

I thought he L&D do the milk diet for the 5% loss...
I will keep an eye on this thread x x x

I've never heard of the L&D doing the cambridge diet for the 5% loss I did the milk only

So sorry, I can't help at all with this, I didn't know it could be possibly available on prescription... I have no idea at all xxx

LIpotrim is available on prescription....but you have to have a Decent G.P to prescribe it to you....
My G.P said that it cant be prescribed...
Although the lipotrim website and rep(via phone) said it can....
It may be worth asking at the doctors Louisa xx ....

Sorry for the delay in responding had sky plus installed this morning :)

well when i had my meeting with the nurse on fri she said you will need to loose 5% of your body weight before you have your operation. and i could of sworn she said they would put me on the cambridge diet to do this.
i'm so confused think a phone call to them would help although other L&D people should know as they would of already done it.

i guess what i'm trying to ask is whatever diet they put me on to loose my 5% and the one to shrink my liver do i have to pay for any of it?

thank you x

I know some hospitals will especially the Whittington, they will also give you a counsellor to help you with it, i think you need to be prescribed it by the hospital instead of the gp xx

Sorry for the delay in responding had sky plus installed this morning :)

well when i had my meeting with the nurse on fri she said you will need to loose 5% of your body weight before you have your operation. and i could of sworn she said they would put me on the cambridge diet to do this.
i'm so confused think a phone call to them would help although other L&D people should know as they would of already done it.

i guess what i'm trying to ask is whatever diet they put me on to loose my 5% and the one to shrink my liver do i have to pay for any of it?

thank you x

Hey there,

May be they'll put you on a prescribed diet like a low-fat thing then take you on to the Milk Diet.

I'm in no way wanting to insult or offend you ... but may be you could look about doing this yourself as a means of really putting you in the right mind-set for your operation and showing some willing rather than waiting for a prescription? You'll essentially be on your own post op in as much as buy the right foods and eating them etc...... Any weight loss journey is about independence as well as discipline .. surely you can stretch to buying diet product yourself?

I'd like to think that you'd want to meet them half-way by starting this yourself? Nestle do a product called Build Up which is far tastier than Cambridge, there is also Complan you can buy etc. Not expensive either (much much much cheaper than Cambridge) or invest in a tub of protein powder this will serve you well pre and post op.

thanks cha ching. i've done the cambridge diet twice before and it was both the financial strain and loss of motivation which made me stop but the last time i lost 3stones in 2 months so i know it def works.

i explained to the nurse i was thinking of going on it now anyway (was waiting to be more motivated and financially ready) but she said not to and wait until they put me on the weight loss diet for the 5% as i will be sick and tired of being on the diet by then.

I agree Cah-ching

I did the lighterlife diet some years ago at a cost of £58 per week, I switched after discovering lipotrim (basically the same thing) because it was cheaper, I think it cost about £25 per week.

On the surface this may seem expensive, but lets be honest my food bill each week was far greater, then throw in two takeaways per week at £20+ (more if I got meals for the kids, which they dont need either), so reality is the usual eating habits cost more.

I figure, I willingly paid to get myself to this size, I can share the cost of getting myself to a normal size. Further, post op, my foodbills are a fraction of the cost.

I consider that I was fortunate to get a bypass on the NHS, even though I have always worked and never claimed any benefits or freeness from the system. It calls for balance in all things.

If pre-op I was put on lipotrim, I'd just buy it, after all none of us could claim the cost of all the unhealthy foods on the prescription, so why should we essentially be "paid" to adopt a healthier lifestyle. Our sucess benefits no one as much as it does ourselves.

omg i completely agree my weekly food bill plus takeaway easily comes to more than the cambridge but if i financially struggle on week i dont do a weekly food shop and just make up meals with the food i have already in the house where as i couldnt miss a week of buying my shakes..

hope i am making myself understood

Last edited:
Louisa i know where you are certainly coming from, my OH runs his own business sometimes we used to eat like kings if the money was in othertime toast and jam when the money wasnt, you need to ask Luton as i said Whittington definately does having a spare fifty odd pound a week just for your meals is alot of money especially if you are anything like me and kids and that come first xx

I know that most folk that have gone to the L&D do the milk diet which consists of so many litres of milk per day as well as low fat jelly and an oxo cube...!
I am sure someone from the L&Ders will tell us what they did..
I do know if you cannot tolerate milk they put you on a low carb diet instead(they are not sure which they will give me untill i produce my blood sugars and diet plan to them at the triple appoinment.(if that makes sence)
I personally wouldn't go on the Cambridge or other diets until they tell you too..
It may be worth you reading Annie T s diary...I know she has just been through this and continued on the milk diet only to find she was malnourished before her op!!!
She is having her op tomorrow at the L&D xxx

Back