• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do I have to pay for my cambridge meals?

I'm a L&D er and it was 4pints of semi skim milk, 1 oxo drink and 2 litres of water a day, the sugar free jellu is really for emergency's if you have to have something, I tried it the once and couldn't stand the stuff

thank you everyone

thank you cheekybum, yes i have just started my own business too so the money coming in is very speadout at the min

I know of the Cambridge DIet, Lipotrim, TOny Ferguson, Lighter Life et al. I have done a VLCD. I think Lighter Life and Cambridge are particularly expensive ... £25 worth of groceries could feed me for two weeks .. pre-op.

Anyway ... going back to the original question. I'm going to come clean here.

I actually think it's cheeky to expect the NHS to pay for someone's pre-op diet regardless of whether they've qualified for the operation on the NHS or not. Surely you're able to show willing by doing something for yourself i.e. doing the pre-op diet on your own volition.

However if you have been offered it then I can't argue - I hope you get it sorted.

I havent been offered it.

I just assumed they were going to put me on a vlcd (and it being the cambridge diet) as that is what we (the nurse and i) were discussing at the time when she told me i would need to loose 5% i didnt realise there were other diets.
i've only learnt about these since coming on here friday afternoon.

i had to ask about the finance because i'm going to have to make sure the money is there when my appt is given to me.

Louisa i really think you need to go back and see if you can have a phonecall appointment just to clarify a few things, and see what they meant that way you will know where you stand, if they offer it to you then take it, if not see what they can do to help you lose that weight. They are your team to support you use them! They are good at what they do. Good luck my lovely xx

Hi Louisa, Ive never heard of anyone being asked to do the cambridge diet, or any other VLCD prior to their op. Some bariatric teams though do insist on some weight loss before going ahead with the op, and reading the replies on this thread it would seem that L&D are one of those teams.

I would expect though that you would have to do whatever diet you wanted to (ww, sw, calorie counting or whatever) to achieve the 5% (if indeed that is the target set) by whatever date they ask you to lose the weight by.

As a seperate issue, it is then normal to have to go on a pre op diet which isnt about weight loss, but about shrinking the liver. This is normally for 2 weeks prior to the op.

Hope that clarifies things a little.

Thanks so much Sam yes this is what I've been told.

I have been told by L&D that I am now waiting for an appointment to meet the dietican, psychiatrist and surgeon and on that day will be put on a diet to loose 5% of my body weight and then 2 weeks prior to op will be put on a diet again to strink the liver

I think its appalling that the NHS would possibly pay for you to do the Cambridge Diet, its just giving much needed money to corporate fat cats. I used to be a Cambridge Counsiller and only lasted a year because I hated the way the Company was only interested in making money, they were greedy and were allowing any tom, dick or harry become counsellors, which in my eyes is very dangerous.

Putting you on a proper diet before your op to lose 5% body fat is sensible and shows your commitment to the bypass.

Hi,

The L&D will probably put u on the milk diet for the 5% loss, thats what I had to do...and many others. I dont like milk but suffered thru it for the greater good lol

HTH x

hi fat again, i hope you understood that i havent been offered funding for the cambridge diet?

Hi i am at l&d and i have just had the triple appointment (minus the psychologist and now need this at a later date as wasn't in that day! argh). i have started the 5% loss diet and it consists of 4pts semi milk, oxo cube and a sugar free jelly.
You will not see a surgeon until you have lost the 5% and they initially give you 4 weeks to do so but if need be you will get another 4 weeks. this weight loss has to sustained until surgery.
i was told at my first appointment that dont worry if you lose any weight and i lost just under a stone by just watching what i was eatting and starting an allotment this summer and breaking a sweat there about 3 times a week.
i wasn't offered any other diets or options other than the milk which suprised me as i have type 2 diabetes but with a bit of trial and error you find the milk diet isnt too bad. i'm 6 days in and starting to get used to taking my thermos of milk about with me lol

Good luck

danielle

hi fat again, i hope you understood that i havent been offered funding for the cambridge diet?

Its ok I do understand you haven't been offered it, I was just amazed that there may have been a possibility.

I'm really against the Cambridge Diet, and the Cambridge organisation and all it stands for, so when reading your post, my blood started to boil.

I guess the bottom line is that your pct would want to see a commitment on your part to lose some weight before your op. However you decide to do it I wish you luck.

Hi i am at l&d and i have just had the triple appointment (minus the psychologist and now need this at a later date as wasn't in that day! argh). i have started the 5% loss diet and it consists of 4pts semi milk, oxo cube and a sugar free jelly.
You will not see a surgeon until you have lost the 5% and they initially give you 4 weeks to do so but if need be you will get another 4 weeks. this weight loss has to sustained until surgery.
i was told at my first appointment that dont worry if you lose any weight and i lost just under a stone by just watching what i was eatting and starting an allotment this summer and breaking a sweat there about 3 times a week.
i wasn't offered any other diets or options other than the milk which suprised me as i have type 2 diabetes but with a bit of trial and error you find the milk diet isnt too bad. i'm 6 days in and starting to get used to taking my thermos of milk about with me lol

Good luck

danielle

Thanks danielle,

thats really helpful! i will just wait for my appointment i'm sure i've got a while yet x

well done with doing well on your diet you sound like you are breezing it.

Back