• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dr Labib @ Russells Hall

Linski

Hi
Does anyone see Dr Labib's at Russells Hall? If so do you know if you have to go through weight management first now or will her refer some straight on for surgery. I know he is no longer using Walsall due to the backlog and is using Telford.

Also does anyone know id South Staffs will fund me for Telford.

Linski xxx

Last edited:
Linski, forget Dr Labib at Russells Hall, you won't go to see him you aren't a Sandwell/Dudley pct patient...

Ring your pct and ask for commissioning and then ask if they'll fund you at Telford! Wolverhampton won't for their own reasons but there's no saying Staffs wont....

For the cost of a phone call you can put yourself out of a lot of worry and misery, if you need to ask PALS for the commissioners number xx

Good luck Lin, love and hugs xxx

Linski, forget Dr Labib at Russells Hall, you won't go to see him you aren't a Sandwell/Dudley pct patient...

Ring your pct and ask for commissioning and then ask if they'll fund you at Telford! Wolverhampton won't for their own reasons but there's no saying Staffs wont....

For the cost of a phone call you can put yourself out of a lot of worry and misery, if you need to ask PALS for the commissioners number xx

To be honest Julie I have lost all hope. Telford will accept me for surgery but only after Dr labib gives the go ahead. They said all their patients come from him now as he;s not using Walsall Manor for obvious reasons. I am not sure if South staffs will fund Walsall either and I definatley come under them and not Wolverhampton I am going to ring PALS and ask them to guide me as it is making me really depressed.

will keep you informed- thanks for your help.

Linski xx

Lin, I agree with Julie you need to find out from your PCT who they commission surgery from. It may well be that they will fund Telford in which case you need to find out the referral process - which they should be able to tell you.

I know it is frustrating but please do not make yourself ill. Good luck x. By the way did you get a response to your complaint from Walsall?

tranquil

Lin, I agree with Julie you need to find out from your PCT who they commission surgery from. It may well be that they will fund Telford in which case you need to find out the referral process - which they should be able to tell you.

I know it is frustrating but please do not make yourself ill. Good luck x. By the way did you get a response to your complaint from Walsall?

tranquil

Hi Tranquil, funnily enough I had a reply today. They apologised for losing my referral initially and said they were pleased I had chased it up and they could offer me an appointment pretty quickly. They can not give me an idea as to when I will see Mr K as he only works Friday am and he serves many districts and his time is limited. They are working with the PCT's with an aim to be able to offer realistic timescales in future months. They are aware of the need to improve communication and again offered their apologies if I feel I have been left feeling their procedure is inadequate in places. They have postponed any further referrals for the forseeable future to enable them to return to their usual efficient service. They also said demand for this surgery is at an all time high and they have felt increasingly under pressure to meet patient expectations. They refused to give me a rough idea of when I could expect to be placed on the waiting list let alone surgery.

Letter was polite but to the point and really told me nothing I didn't already know.

I meant to post this today but got caught up in the whole Dr Labib saga!

I will call tomorrow as I really need clarification on who will fund me and for where.

My GP insisted I keep my Walsall Manor one as well as explore Russells Hall. To be honest he seems as if he doesn't really know whats what and thats unusual for him. There is a huge amount of ignorance surrounding this operation and the trauma we go through. Very frustrating but there again can't tell you anything you don't already know! Your journey says it all - my insperation!
When we both done we will have a party!!!!!!!
Thanks for the support.
Lin xxx

PS When do you start the liver shrinking diet?

Hi Tranquil, funnily enough I had a reply today. They apologised for losing my referral initially and said they were pleased I had chased it up and they could offer me an appointment pretty quickly. They can not give me an idea as to when I will see Mr K as he only works Friday am and he serves many districts and his time is limited. They are working with the PCT's with an aim to be able to offer realistic timescales in future months. They are aware of the need to improve communication and again offered their apologies if I feel I have been left feeling their procedure is inadequate in places. They have postponed any further referrals for the forseeable future to enable them to return to their usual efficient service. They also said demand for this surgery is at an all time high and they have felt increasingly under pressure to meet patient expectations. They refused to give me a rough idea of when I could expect to be placed on the waiting list let alone surgery.

Letter was polite but to the point and really told me nothing I didn't already know.

I meant to post this today but got caught up in the whole Dr Labib saga!

I will call tomorrow as I really need clarification on who will fund me and for where.

My GP insisted I keep my Walsall Manor one as well as explore Russells Hall. To be honest he seems as if he doesn't really know whats what and thats unusual for him. There is a huge amount of ignorance surrounding this operation and the trauma we go through. Very frustrating but there again can't tell you anything you don't already know! Your journey says it all - my insperation!
When we both done we will have a party!!!!!!!
Thanks for the support.
Lin xxx

PS When do you start the liver shrinking diet?

Absolutely right we will have a party. The issue with wls surgery is that is is classed as an elective surgery so none of the waiting time limits apply. However that does not mean they can keep you hanging around forever. I am going to start the pre-op diet at the start of November - having looked at it, it is going to be hard going but worth it!

I know I said about taking it easy but if you are going to stick with Walsall you do need to keep chasing them or you may end up lost in the mess they are in.

tranquil

Julie lots of PCT's refer to Dr Labib. He is one of the countries leading weight loss consultants (so they tell me)

Hi Wendy,
I have called his secrtary this morning and Dr Labib was in the office and actually offred to speak to me!!

He will see me with pleasure and has arranged funding from south staffs many times. Apparently its patient choice now as to where you are referred so he see's patients from wide and far.
Even if I have to do the 18 week weight loss thing then with a 6 week wait for surgery at Telford (currently) I will cut my wait in half at least.

|Do you know if you HAVE to do the weight management course or does he refer for surgery sometimes? I ask this a south satffs have atomatic funding for BMI 50+ with a co-morbility?

Many thanks for your reply - i feel better today now I have hope!

Linski xxx

Wohooo Linski...

Well done, I hope you join us all soon

OMG I am going to flip soon!!!! Head of South Staffs PCT commissioning rang to say they will not fund my surgery at Telford as they only fund Walsall Manor, Heartlands or Royal Derby hospitals! How many more time are the so called experts going to get things wrong. All I want is for someone to confirm 100% - where can i go to have this operation in the shortest possible time ( Less than a year) will do nicely. I feel like saying ti hell with it. FFS if I was as incompetent in my job I would get the sack.

Hi Wendy,
I have called his secrtary this morning and Dr Labib was in the office and actually offred to speak to me!!

He will see me with pleasure and has arranged funding from south staffs many times. Apparently its patient choice now as to where you are referred so he see's patients from wide and far.
Even if I have to do the 18 week weight loss thing then with a 6 week wait for surgery at Telford (currently) I will cut my wait in half at least.

|Do you know if you HAVE to do the weight management course or does he refer for surgery sometimes? I ask this a south satffs have atomatic funding for BMI 50+ with a co-morbility?

Many thanks for your reply - i feel better today now I have hope!

Linski xxx

I don't know if you will have to do weight management only you PCT can tell you that BUT i would go and see Dr Labib he and his team are fantastic and he can request that your PCT fund you for Telford and they will listen to him more than they will to you.
Good luck

Thanks I shall go and see what happens. South staffs said I need to check Derby Royal out as they have shorter wait than Walsall and they fund there. Still dont know if I am coming or going to be honest. Do you think its worth me exploring Derby?

Lin xx

Back