• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dress sizes- I do not understand!

Miss Tickle

I don't understand dress sizes at all and am now feeling rather miserable.. I have eventually bought a tape measure and measured myself in inches. My bust at it's fullest is 45 inches, my waist is 37 inches and my tummy/hipd is 46 inches. When I put them in the dress size calculators it tells me I am a size 22 or 24, yet shopping yesterday most18's were too big and size 16 too small. I have one pair of capris which are 1 16 and are on the tight side but fit. My size 18 jeans are too big and size 18 tops are too?
Can anyone enlighten me? I've never measured before-just bought whichever sack would cover me in Evans.
Am I really still a size 24 a who has an uncanny eye to pick up wrongly sized garments that are pretending to be a 16/18?

This is everyone's nightmare. Sizes change from shop to shop. I can go to next and fit into jeans bootcut shape fine yet a size 18 jeans bootcut will not even go round my ankles!!! Same bloody jeans same cut but still two different shop. It is very frustrating

Buy 16 stretch jeans they will fit you!Just buy what fits.thats what I do and dont get hung up on the numbers on clothes or scales!

well thats me with jeans... my catalogue 24's are now falling off me and i can take them on and off without undoing them. in asda...24's are now too big but 22 is way too small... and in matalan the 24's wont go up my legs and the 26's are massive... i have no idea what size i really am lol... same as you i would buy from evans anything that fitted lol xx

Clothes sizes mean nothing and vary greatly even within the same shop. I can be anything from a size 4 in jeans to a size 10 depending on the cut and the shop.

Hi Miss Tickle,

This is the "official" size chart of Next:

Womens Clothing

However, as per other commentors different stores have different "allowance" margins.

I have always found Evans have the biggest "allowance" margin. Basically their version of a size 26 (my current *Evans* size) is a 28 at Marks & Sparks and a 30 from the market !!

I actually slightly dread the day I come OUT of only shopping at Evans because I know (due to their over generous sizes) that I will suddenly find I am at least 1 or 2 sizes bigger than I thought I was everywhere else !!!!

i think if the majority of your clothes are a 16 then you are a 16!! When I was a 24 my mum bought me a cardigan from Sainsbury's in a 16 to shrink into! It was too big within a week, you can rarely trust the size on the rail, just try things on and if they fit buy it, if not don't! Don't be upset!! A size 18 is too big!!! xx

I'm finding the whole shopping for me a nightmare right now...I too always just picked up whatever fitted from the fat section and now find that I don't fit anything there anymore..:wave_cry::(

I'm going to have to decide on styles and colours etc etc....arghhh!! don't know where to begin...:sigh:

I went online the other day to a linked article from channel 4 on "what shape am I or How to dress for my shape" something like that ...popped in my measurements and it tells me I'm hourglass shaped...well thats thrown me even more because I'd never have thought I'd be "hourglass!!":confused:

It says fitted blouses and short jackets with kick out 50's style skirts....are they mad!!!:eek::eek:

I'm just going to have to allow a whole day to try on everything in the shop and see what looks good....not that I know which would be the best shop to do that either....HOPELESS THATS ME!!!!!:(

Why don't you reward yourselves and have a little you time with a personal shopping slot in one if the larger department stores - you don't gave to buy but it could help you to re evaluate your new shape ans size xxxx

Do you have to pay for a personal shopper to help you out. Knowing my luck I'd end up with a 16 year old who'd try and dress me like a teen. How do you know which shops have personal shoppers. It's all a bit of a mystery isn't it. At least I knew where I was in the fat shop. If it fitted I brought it.

Mum sent me over 2 pairs of M&S size 18 velvet jeans in gorgeous colours as I'd just brought a pair of M&S black denim jeans from the charity shop, the jeans are now huge on me but the ones Mum sent are still about 5 inches from doing up. Work that one out. I feel like taking them to the store and asking them to explain it sometimes.

Kate x

I am currently having a problem with knicker sizes because having just dropped to the point at which an Evans clothes size 26 fits me 'perfectly' I have found:

1. Evans knickers in the 26 - 28 packs TOO big ..... I am wearing a pair today and they are falling down

2. Evans knickers in the 22 - 24 packs TOO small (!) ...... I bought a pack of them at the weekend and the first pair I put on snapped the knicker elastic at the top (!).

I *know* that Evans size 26 - 28 items are always made really with the larger size 28 in mind ....... but am wondering now if the size 22 - 24 items (well knickers!) have been cunningly cut short to the size 22 dimensions ???

Alternatively Evans need to make Size 26 effing knickers !!!!!!

I am really peeee'd off about this at the moment, as it is the first realy "problem finding clothes that fit" I have encountered since starting to lose weight.

I am thinking now I need to find ANOTHER kind of brand, some shop that does knickers in a 24 / 26 ....... or in a straight forward 26 !!!!!!!

Sharonimo said:
I am currently having a problem with knicker sizes because having just dropped to the point at which an Evans clothes size 26 fits me 'perfectly' I have found:

1. Evans knickers in the 26 - 28 packs TOO big ..... I am wearing a pair today and they are falling down

2. Evans knickers in the 22 - 24 packs TOO small (!) ...... I bought a pack of them at the weekend and the first pair I put on snapped the knicker elastic at the top (!).

I *know* that Evans size 26 - 28 items are always made really with the larger size 28 in mind ....... but am wondering now if the size 22 - 24 items (well knickers!) have been cunningly cut short to the size 22 dimensions ???

Alternatively Evans need to make Size 26 effing knickers !!!!!!

I am really peeee'd off about this at the moment, as it is the first realy "problem finding clothes that fit" I have encountered since starting to lose weight.

I am thinking now I need to find ANOTHER kind of brand, some shop that does knickers in a 24 / 26 ....... or in a straight forward 26 !!!!!!!

Marks and Spenser do good knickers x

don't take any notice of dress sizes just go by what fits and what doesn't. It all depends on where they are made and what template they are being made to.

Emma xx

Go to charity shops where you can try different makes in same sizes,ie Marks,Next,etc.It will give you an idea of sizing in the stores you like without traipsing all over town.I work in one and have tried clothes from shops I would never of gone in ie Warehouse,Gap,Selfridges.

Yep M&S and sloggi's pants are the best!

Clothes sizes - well, where to start. What size will fit depends on your height, body shape and the shop!

Im 5ft 10 so no 'normal' clothes are a good fit for a start. A lot of shops do longer length trousers but they haven't realised yet that taller people have long arms too - hence all sleeves are half mast lol

According to the next size chart, Im a size 15 top, 16 waist and 13 hips. Hmm, just keep trying the different shops and you will find the one that 'fits' your shape. For me thats mostly M&S, occasionaly next xx

Back