• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Driving is driving me crazy!

TR_Wolf

(just call me Adam)
I started learning to drive in November. :character00182: Once a week with a fantastic guy called Mike who has since become an acquaintance verging on friend.

The only thing is that despite Mike's superb tuition, I really find learning in a manual quite stressful! :shifter: Not just gear changes, and making sure you change to the right gears, but all of the nonsense with the clutch, using it to change gears, slow down, move off, get the biting point, etc etc.

Even when I pass my test, I plan to get an automatic car, because they just seem to make more sense, and over in the USA they seem to cope well with them!

The only thing is, although there's the advantage of being able to drive both auto and manual if you learn in a manual... I'm pondering thanking Mike for his time, and moving on to perhaps find an instructor who will teach me to drive in an automatic, and thus pass in an automatic. Would be mean to Mike though, he seems so optimistic for me, and has given me his time and effort.

I'm really not sure what to do. I think an automatic would be simpler for me, and cost less to learn to a driving test standard as it'd take less time because of the simplicity.

What are your thoughts on this? Are any of you Automatic drivers? Maybe manual to automatic converts? :7600:

Getting a little stressed about it actually! Any thoughts or advice are welcome!

yes i have advice for you....stay manual! lol

My OH and I learned to drive in the same 6 months....he learned first and was adamant he wanted to drive autos forever...so why not have an auto license he argued!

i said, look, take a manual license and choose to drive auto forever and ever if thats what you want but no...he didnt...

i then got a company car....gorgeous..and as you do with a company car, you use it for everything inc going on hols....but he cant drive it!!! we now have to buy auto's and sometimes its a pain in the ass finding one we like to buy....then paying that little bit extra for it...

we bought a tiptronic (semi-auto) and it was VILE to drive...and then died a horrible (costly) death because it had to be programmed to change the clutch and that didnt happen grrr....

my advice is nothing is impossible...its nice to be able to share driving on a long journey, if there is an emergency and you have to use someone elses car, what are the chances that its auto? if you need a rental..auto's are harder to come by....there are lots and lots of reasons why my OH should have done a manual and then chosen to drive an auto....but thats exactly it, he has now taken away his choice...

stick at it mate...its not that hard if thousands of people manage it....its just frustrating!

AND...when i passed im positive i fluked in a manual....id ride the clutch and stall...but as soon as i passed all the silly little things stopped! I now a perfect driver (she says hahahaha)

xx

Quite honestly, driving manual is worth it. It is worth it for fuel saving reasons, it is worth it for sheer 'I am driving. Yeah!' Also, these things will start to come naturally to you, but only after you've been driving on your own for at least 2-3 months. It does get easier.

Stick with the manual, I don't drive but a good friend of mine can only drive autos and she has one hell of a time sometimes finding a car she likes within her budget.
Good luck with the driving, it's something I'm going to do once I've lost weight.:)

Bear in mind, most learners need 40 lessons. That's 40 weeks if you're having one lesson a week, and no driving instructor, manual or automatic will recommend less. So you've probably had between 25-30 lessons.

What's the difference between the two, it's just that your left leg is not used in an auto, that's it everything else is the same, stick with the manual car, it will be so much better in the long term, especially with fuel costs spiralling out of control, you don't want to limit yourself to an auto that does 20% less mileage to a tank full do you.

Paul

Even when I pass my test, I plan to get an automatic car, because they just seem to make more sense, and over in the USA they seem to cope well with them!

Therein lies the problem.

In the US most cars are automatic so it matters much less to US citizens whether they ever bother to pass a test in a manual ..... sadly this is not the case here -- you are trying to pass a test in a country where the vast majority of cars are manual and most hire cars, and replacement cars sent by insurance companies should your own vehicle ever break down.

I know that my US Aunty and Uncle only drive auto's and when the visit the UK they have to go to some lengths to ensure that they only hire automatics.

Yeh stick with the manual mate. Ive had 2 automatics in 26 years of driving and,though they were nice cars, the fuel costs shoot up as you use more and any repairs are more expensive. As others have said most hire companies and insurance companies dont carry them and you pay through the nose for those who do.

Also, american roads are different to ours. They are wider, traffic flows better and therefore you lose less fuel in the stop start.

Deffo stick with the manual, at least until you have passed your test, then go auto if you want to. If you decide later to go manual you will have to do your test again. Automatic cars do have gears anyway that you have to be aware of and use going up and down steep hills.

Yvessa said:
Also, american roads are different to ours. They are wider, traffic flows better and therefore you lose less fuel in the stop start.

And fuel is a lot cheaper there.

i drive a manual and have had 3 total. each one was different in feel and shifting from the next. stick with it, you will get the hang of it!
dee

Stick with a manual car...the driving experience is much better, I mean you never see Jeremy Clarkson test driving an automatic do you?!?! lol

Just pull on your big boy panties and learn to drive a manual for chuff's sake

I went from manual to auto. I developed a phobia of manual due to an oversensitive clutch and stalling.

Got to test standard with it and was booked in. But kept being admitted to hospital when pregnant. So my instructor cancelled my test.

Now three years later, going to book to take manual lessons again.

Good luck :D

Back