• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Elasticated eating - down and back up again!

alberqueque

Right - i am in a more fed up mood than i thought i was! i have spent this week losing mostly everything i have eaten. tried a baked potato tonight with tuna - so tasty - so painful and so not staying down. All my food seems to be on elastic at the moment and just bounces back up!! is this common fellow bypassers - 4th week now

I am not a bypasser but this sounds like the possibility of either eating too fast or too much in each mouthful.

Even as a bander we have to chew like crazy, I sure know when I swallow something a little too big.

Take a litlle more time...and remember you are still very early days.

I hope this improves for you soon :)

There are basic things to remember

1. do not drink for 30 mins prior to eating
2. take only very small pieces, about the size of a rubber on a pencil
3. chew thoroughly, it was reccommended to me i chew everything AT LEAST 15 times i know some have been told more. Remember meat will need more chewing then other foods
4. pause between mouthfuls, put the fork/spoon ect down so you have to pick it up again
alternate each foodtype so foods do not easily stick together - not easy when all you can manage is proteins
5. everything you eat should be consumed within 20-30 mins max
6. Do not drink for up to 1 hour after eating to allow for proper digestion and prevent food being washed through

If you are doing these ALL things then you should contact your dietitian

Last edited:
TS, do you mean the size of a rubber on the end of a pencil?

A pencil rubber could be massive ;):D

without knowing to much about your cirtumstances or how much your actually consuming and going on the assumption your now just 4 weeks post op, i'd say you were trying to eat to much !

Your pouch is about 2-3 oz, which is about the size of a golf ball ! or another way to look at it is a full mouthfull of food !
Becuase your eating mushy food your able to push a bit more in without it hurting, as soon as it backs up your osophegus its chucky time.

So your mouth is literally bigger than your belly lol ;)

Good advice from TS and I agree with Richard think you are trying to eat too much....you should still be on smaller portions and I did not introduce jacket spud until after week 6...but we are all told differently...try to follow TS instructions but eat smaller portions...by the time you have chewed it to death you will be sick of the sight of it...IT DOES GET BETTER....lol....xx

ok altered it to say rubber on a pencil lol i love those soft WHSmith ones and that was abou the size i could initially eat in TOTAL!! so now it looks right

Nothing alse much to say as every1 seems to have covered everything, Hope you find out whats going wrong tc hun and all the best xXx

Thanks so much for the invaluable advice all - i think you hit the nail on the head with the amount i was eating - have had a much better day today with better eating xx

Glad to hear you are doing better! All the above advice is excellent so well done everyone. Just wanted to also mention that when you first start having food come back up on you, a good thing to do is go back a phase, ie mushy or liquid. The reason behind this advice is simple, the process of vomitting can cause the lining of the pouch to swell. The next time you add more food that is solid you may have a repeat performance, and you can see how that can turn into a cycle. So continue doing what you are doing but remember should you find you are getting several bouts of vomitting, go back a stage and let you stomach rest a bit. And then move slowly forward again, it is all a learning curve.

Best of luck,
Nic:p:p:p

Back