• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Electric cigs anyone

leelaloui

Hey all im travelling from ireland to the uk for my op in 5 days :) am so happy
i was a smoker and my surgeon told me i had to stop smoking and im 6 weeks off them :eek: but i have been smoking the electronic cigarette and finding it great and thought i was doing the right thing till someone said as there still nicotine in them its still bad i am so scared that they wont do the op because of this any advice please i know i should of prob checked but as i bought it in chemist i thought they were grand :cry:

Nicotine isn't harmful, but it's the addictive bit, it's all the other chemicals and poisons in cigarettes that do the damage. Although you are still ingesting some type of smoke into your lungs with the electronic cigarette. I'd try and stop using it and ring your bariatric team for advice. It's best to be honest with them as you want the best possible outcome :)

Oh yes Paula the electric cigarette is as addictive as the real ones lol your right i will ring them tomorrow and ask is it ok better be safe than sorry and least will take the worry away :)

I used the electronic cig. Worked wonders for me personally. The stuff you inhale is a vapour, not cig smoke. It doesn't contain tar which is one of the nastiest aspects of inhaling cig smoke. And obviously you're still getting your nicotine hit. Speak to your team and see what they say.
I'm not "bigging up" e-cigs, but giving up the fags is not easy (but soooo worthwhile and neccessary) and personally I used whatever worked. I went onto patches for my hospital stay and during my recovery I went cold turkey and the last thing I found I wanted to do was smoke.

Wibble said:
I lapsed last Christmas (have my reasons!) but going good now.

We all have lapses, I lapse if I get drunk (very very rare) but it happens, be it food or fags, it's so hard to let go sometimes xxx

Although better than conventional cigarettes, those of us with BP issues know that one of the reasons we should avoid smoking is that nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, ie. likely to raise BP. Some BP meds are vasodilators, they work by relaxing blood vessels. If your BP is OK I expect you will be fine. Good luck with your op.

You can also get ones that are nicotine free, just to help with the hand to mouth thing! Shame they can't do calorie free chocolate too really!! X

my wife uses a refilable e-cigarette, she can get it in various nicotine strengths from none to strong and lots of different flavours (even chocolate!), i dont smoke myself but they certainly look good for those looking to quit/cutdown or smoke in a less harmfull way plus it costs a fraction of the price compared to real cigarettes

I used an e cig to help me give up back in february this year before my bypass. I started off with the 16mg nicotine cartridges, and then over the space of about 6 weeks cut down till I was just smoking the 0mg nicotine ones.. I still have the ecig, but never buy any refills anymore, I just keep it as sort of a security thing in case I ever feel the need, but so far so good. I would definitely recommend them not as a replacement for smoking conventional cigarettes, but as a tool to help lose the nicotine addiction and to give up... xx

yes guys my provider didn't seem to mind the e cig at all phew but since the op i couldn't stomach it so haven't smoked it for over a week funny really as before i was smoking it constantly

You can also get ones that are nicotine free, just to help with the hand to mouth thing! Shame they can't do calorie free chocolate too really!! X

And fat free crisps please :p

One of my pals - a heavy smoker for twenty years - recently managed to give up completely thanks to her precious electric ciggy! She now sings the praises of these things to everyone she meets.

I gave up years back by means of sheer willpower - and it was tough. Smokers have nothing to lose and maybe lots to gain by trying electronic ciggie subsitutes. Good luck everyone!.

Back