• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ellzee, Journey to find the REAL me

For the moment while everything is still tender you could add in a couple of protein shakes to make sure your getting plenty of protein in a day? xx

Morning Laura. I am aiming for 50-60gm protein a day. I have some protein drinks that are 20gm each, I made some soup with Philadelphia and pea protein, it's all adding up there.

But the dietitian must know what she is talking about, so probably wise to go along with what they are saying. My dietitian appointment came through this morning and it's not till 18th July, altho I could ring before then.

I have had some Greek yogurt and honey this morning and have so over eaten I feel sick and so so stuffed!

Hope you manage to sort it out.

Denise
XxX

Thanks ladies, my husband called to talk me down and I feel a bit better. I just panicked as being the goody two shoes I am I expected to be given a pat on the head when I relayed what I'd eaten and it all being liquid but the thought of doing something wrong was mortifying! But I'm only just starting day 3 and I can pick up the protein now I know I can have a slightly mashier type liquid.
Thanks for those ideas too, I will look into the protein shakes and get some Philly, but what on earth is pea protein? I wouldn't know where to look for that! Apparently laughing cow is quite good for a little boost too so I might suck on one of those later, mmm.
I've fired up my old myfitnesspal account now so I can track not only calories but protein etc too each day. I just had to spend a while deleting all my old VLCD weights so I wasn't demoralised!
I must say I think I over ate when I had half of that puréed lentil soup as I feel a little bloated now so I need to try not to fixate on it. We live and learn. :) x

Hi Laura. It's all new to us, how are we supposed to know !

I got pea protein from Ocado. It's just a powder that you add to good. But it's mainly protein.

I have just had a phone call from THG, they say my first fill will be 2 weeks after my dietitian appointment and I need to bring my box and giant needle!

Just reading about you deleting all the VLCD stuff made me think that I will never do another crazy duet ever! How good does that sound?

You are doing great Laura.

XxX

Well, i think i need to proof read my posts a little better, thats the first thing!

I have just had a bit of a funny do, i had a drink of peppermint tea, felt a bit ill, then thought i was going to vomit, managed to get to the toilet, i was hugging the bowl ready to be sick i did half a dozen burps, the last one was massive, then i felt alright! Very odd.

So now i have had some mushroom soup with added phili and pea protein and i think its time for a bit of a nap!

Hope you are doing alright Laura?

XxX

Good morning, I'm feeling positive today! I'm 16lbs down on my start weight now so that's a nice boost but my tummy still feels huge!
Yesterday I scrambled two eggs with lots of milk for my tea, I probably ate a little over half but did feel very satisfied. My protein intake was near to 40g so better than it had been.
This morning I managed my whole weetabix drink which has over 9g protein in but I did feel that maybe it was a little too much for me.
I'm struggling a little with the balance now of trying to get the protein in but not eating more food than I need. I seem to have contradictory goals in my head, eat more protein but eat less food.
Myfitnesspal is helping and it also means I can show the dietician exactly what I'm eating when I see her next Friday. I'm still taking it easy but am shuffling around the house relatively easily now.
Hubby is home from Thursday and I am hoping to join him for a short dog walk then, fingers crossed! My mum is out doing it at the moment but I'm still in PJs!!
Have a great day x

Doing grand hunni :) just do what you can right now and don't stress it ...... my guidelines didn't even mention getting in x amount of protein at the start LOL just shows how different they all are. Just take it slow and steady wins the race :) x x x x enjoy !!

Thank you lovely! I had a 'little dish' fish pie for tea tonight and it was lovely. It was basically a very sloppy mash but just to have some flavour after so long was a real treat.
I still feel nervous about introducing mush so early but I'm trying to be sensible and think about whether the consistency of what I'm eating could realistically do me any harm or not.
I'm looking forward to a mushy weetabix tomorrow, yummy!
I had around 700cals today which by any standards is low but it does worry me I'm overeating. I'm probably over analysing it but I have to choose between more cals or more protein and I was told to focus on protein so fingers crossed it works out.
I definitely feel more awake now, but that could also be as I stopped taking my codeine today! Hopefully I make it through the night without painkillers too x

Sounds like your doing just grand...... I was straight on sloppy when i got home from hospital, didn't do fluids at all..... i just made sure everything was well watered down. Its scarey ............ i was terrified going from mash to softs LOL and even now im still funny with certain things :) just take it slowly x x x x

Oh that's like music to my ears knowing you didn't do liquids only and have still done so well! Everybody else seems to be out on such strict liquid only diets it was worrying me.
But I had a mini breakthrough this morning I think. I was eating my one mega milky weetabix and about 2/3s of the way through I started to question if I was full. So I stopped, and shortly afterwards I realised I had in fact had enough. I remember last night having a few more mouthfuls after starting to think about whether I had had enough or not, and then realised I'd probably had too much.
So today's aim is as soon as I'm not sure if I've had enough to satisfy me, I will know that I have and stop!
Hubby is on a first aid course today then picking up his new car tonight ( I felt bad to be spending so much on me so that was my gift to him lol!) but after that he is home with me for 5 days. Yay!!
Everyone have a great day x

One week on and I'm feeling good today. Just over 18lbs down from 2 weeks before the op and I went on my first little walk this morning! It took half an hour to do a 15min walk but I'm still happy, it all helps build me back up!
So yesterday I had a really soft piece of salmon for tea, I chewed it within an inch of it's life but I certainly enjoyed it. 20mins in I hadn't finished it though so I chucked the rest. I also had a boiled egg mashed up with mayo for lunch. I'm much nearer my protein target now but I am missing my vegetables. I'm going to get some nice mushy veg today and look forward to that with my dinner.
I took my main dressings off yesterday, and promptly burst into tears lol I really don't know why. I'm really funny about certain things and infection is one of them. Now my waterproof dressings are gone, only the sticky stitches are left, I just felt more open to that I guess. But they all look near and tidy so I'm happy. They also managed to reuse 2 from my gallbladder op so I'm only 2 scars up on before!
Feeling positive, going to risk a trip to tesco today with hubby in his new car. I can tell he's itching to drive like a maniac so fingers crossed he's gentle with me!! x

Sounds like your doing perfect hunni :) following the rules and taking it slow...... I was same first few weeks worrying if i was doing things right lol but it all becomes second nature after awhile :) enjoy your trip to Tesco get ya veggies and enjoy x x x

Hi Band Buddy!

How you doing? Are you enjoying your sloppy? I cant wait till i can eat something chewy, which sounds daft but i am already planning my first sloppy meal its going to be salmon and sauce with some nice soft veg! I cant blooming wait.

Denise
XxX

Hi Denise, I'm doing ok. I must admit I've been feeling somewhat despondent the last few days. My appetite came back relatively early and into the second week I'm feeling hungry more and more. Streamline told me to expect this and it's normal but it's making me feel guilty when I eat which I don't like. I was told that the band works better with normal foods and textures so to get back to a normal diet as soon as I can, so I've been eating fish a fair amount and I'm loving the 'little dish' meals. I've also had eggs, prawns, mashed up baked beans and weetabix.
I'm booked in for my first fill this Friday, they actually said they brought these forward to the two week mark because so many people feel like I do and start to wonder if it's working at all after 2 weeks. I can't wait for that and to feel some restriction again. I think if I were so inclined I could probably binge like I used to.
I've also been seeing some really negative comments on here. Don't get me wrong, I understand everyone has a story to tell and I'm under no illusions that you have to know the possible downsides too but, when you're still trying to get your head around it all for yourself, for me it hasn't been helpful.
I'm really happy with my scars, all the dressings and sutures are off now and it's looking good. I don't see myself as a midriff barer so wasn't too fussed but it does help that they look so neat.
I'm glad you're doing so well and the weight loss you've had is fab :) That's a big kick start for you.
Thanks for checking in on me, good luck back at work xx

Hi Laura

I know what you mean about the negative stuff, i was convinced that my band had come open once i was able to drink water, like you say we need to learn how to be with our bands.

I am glad you are doing great, i think once you get your fill you will start to feel a bit more onboard and positive. But its good that you have not gone straight back to your old ways, it would be very easy i reckon. I find the hardest part is passing food and not just putting it straight into my mouth, i was dishing up something the other day and just put a nacho straight into my mouth without even thinking!

Stick with it Laura, we will start dropping the weight good and proper soon!

XxX

I know what you mean about eating whilst dishing up. One of my worst habits contributing to my weight gain is eating something whilst preparing a meal or snack. So for example I'd have a slice of bread and butter whilst making toast or a packet of crisps while making dinner. I know it's stupid and that's what I like about the band is the knowing if I eat the 'pre meal' there's probably no point making the actual meal as I'll no doubt feel ill afterwards.
I've spoken to work and I won't be in on Friday due to my appointment so hopefully I'll be back next week. I'm still scared about putting my uniform on as it was so tight around the tummy I don't want to do any damage. But at least when I'm at work I'm not constantly within meters of the fridge and don't have to have a constant battle about whether to go eat something or not. Although we have snacks available 24/7 at work they're all things I can't have (morning pastries and day time donuts and cookies) so that's not too bad. Plus we've been serving the same things for years they don't really excite me any more.
It's my last day on my own tomorrow, I can't wait for hubby to be off shift again for Friday and the weekend. I want to go to the shops and do some dog walking to get me ready for the big bad world again!! x

Hi hunni and teddy :) just as easy to catch u both in one place :) sounds like your both doing great well done irls the worst is well behind you. The hunger will return as you heal inside, for me this was the worse part just before reintroducing solids............ just take it slowly and do as you have been........... question your tum when its had enough....... stop and feel how you feel and if still not satisfied have some more :)
Both doing grand, i will catch up proper once i'm home again and back to normal ............. i read about 'negatives' i hope nothing i've said lol i hope to be supportive all the way........ x x x hugs girls keep up the fab work x

Hi crystal, don't be silly! You've been very lovely, supportive and helpful! It wasn't meant to be a dig at anybody but just because of my frame of mind reading people say it's the worst thing they ever did is quite alarming, but of course it's also the truth for some peoples situation and I know I also have to see the downside as well as the positives.
So I had my first fill today, woohoo! I had a really good 1hr appointment with Richard juniper who was really really good. We went through everything and I feel so much better about things. I can now officially eat whatever I want, but textured foods are better. Anything too sloppy or with too much sauce will go straight through the band and defeat the object.
So to find my port I had to put my ankles together and raise my legs. It tenses the muscle that the port is attached to but omg it hurt so bad!! I'll be practicing that ready for next time as I could barely hold it he had to kind if take a flying stab in the split second I could manage it lol!
So the needle just felt like a standard injection, and he out 2.5ml and made me drink water to test how tight it was. I could instantly feel it struggling to get through, so he then eased it off until the water went through comfortably. So I left with a 1.5ml fill and I'm feeling good about it. I went in there thinking 'give me as much as possible' but knowing now that everyone is different and that even for me water was a struggle at 2.5ml I'm pleased they did it that way.
I'll now see him every two weeks to slowly build it up. He said they have found that doing it slower makes it easy for people to adjust, I hope so! So I'm no longer on a diet now, that's a new one! I just have to stick religiously to the 20/20/20 rule and try not to be too obsessed by the scales until we find my 'sweet spot' fill level. That will be the hardest part for me, but I'll give it my best shot.
So after expecting to be on mush for 24hrs they said that's no longer necessary, so I had a grilled chicken wrap. Yummy! Not sure if I'm full or not, but I stopped after 20mins/20 mouthfuls like a good girl!
Everyone have a great weekend! I'm in for an expensive one as 2 weeks off work has me bored, and for me boredom results in 2 things. Eating and spending money!! As I'll be eating less I'll have to spend more. We ordered new sofas today and are about to order our new living room furniture from next which looks lovely. It all arrives in about 3 weeks so we have to decorate soonish and I also made the mistake of mentioning a new tv to my hubby. Oops, now he's hooked and the price of these things is astronomical!! Ah well, hopefully the more I spend the less I eat!
Enjoy your weekends xx

Whayahh Laura, your first fill. Glad it went well, your tea sounds awesome!

I am swinging between wanting proper food and scared about eating real food!

Your idea of spending lots of money on furniture sounds a good idea till you can buy clothes , that's my plan, lots and lots of clothes!

Enjoy your new stuff!

XxX

Hi crystal, don't be silly! You've been very lovely, supportive and helpful! It wasn't meant to be a dig at anybody but just because of my frame of mind reading people say it's the worst thing they ever did is quite alarming, but of course it's also the truth for some peoples situation and I know I also have to see the downside as well as the positives.
So I had my first fill today, woohoo! I had a really good 1hr appointment with Richard juniper who was really really good. We went through everything and I feel so much better about things. I can now officially eat whatever I want, but textured foods are better. Anything too sloppy or with too much sauce will go straight through the band and defeat the object.
So to find my port I had to put my ankles together and raise my legs. It tenses the muscle that the port is attached to but omg it hurt so bad!! I'll be practicing that ready for next time as I could barely hold it he had to kind if take a flying stab in the split second I could manage it lol!
So the needle just felt like a standard injection, and he out 2.5ml and made me drink water to test how tight it was. I could instantly feel it struggling to get through, so he then eased it off until the water went through comfortably. So I left with a 1.5ml fill and I'm feeling good about it. I went in there thinking 'give me as much as possible' but knowing now that everyone is different and that even for me water was a struggle at 2.5ml I'm pleased they did it that way.
I'll now see him every two weeks to slowly build it up. He said they have found that doing it slower makes it easy for people to adjust, I hope so! So I'm no longer on a diet now, that's a new one! I just have to stick religiously to the 20/20/20 rule and try not to be too obsessed by the scales until we find my 'sweet spot' fill level. That will be the hardest part for me, but I'll give it my best shot.
So after expecting to be on mush for 24hrs they said that's no longer necessary, so I had a grilled chicken wrap. Yummy! Not sure if I'm full or not, but I stopped after 20mins/20 mouthfuls like a good girl!
Everyone have a great weekend! I'm in for an expensive one as 2 weeks off work has me bored, and for me boredom results in 2 things. Eating and spending money!! As I'll be eating less I'll have to spend more. We ordered new sofas today and are about to order our new living room furniture from next which looks lovely. It all arrives in about 3 weeks so we have to decorate soonish and I also made the mistake of mentioning a new tv to my hubby. Oops, now he's hooked and the price of these things is astronomical!! Ah well, hopefully the more I spend the less I eat!
Enjoy your weekends xx
Its great to hear you in a fab positive mind set hunni :) SOunds like your on target to embrace your band and the journey it will take you on................ i love to see it :) forget the negative stories you read......... i did the same, i sought out the bad stuff, i think its wanting to know what could happen if........... but to be honest most of the horrific ones when i really began to look into them you can see its because they didn't treat their bands with respect. Obviously there is always a chance our bands could malfunction but there are many good stories out there where people have lived with their bands for many many many years :) for me i say this is a learning curve......... learn to eat right and embrace the new ways ........... and IF something should go wrong with my band i have learned enough hopefully to get me by in life after band :) Now i just surround myself with the positive forget the 'ifs' and 'whats' what is happening here and now is the most important............ live life for you and those you love learn from your tool, get healthy and enjoy your new healthy lifestyle ..... lifes to short to worry :) huge hugs hunni
Sounds to me like your doing just grand.... x x x x x enjoy your expensive weekend LOL just enjoy now

Back