• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Taming the inner pig - Mrs. Beavers Journey

MrsBeaver

:newbie:
Hello you lovely lot. I´m the latest addition to this amazing forum. After reading Sharon´s and Kirsty`s diaries, I got inspired to start my own. So, my story so far....decided to go down the NHS route a few months ago, but so far I haven´t even gotten seen at the Dietetics clinic and I am gaining weight by the day. After having a long chat with the other half, I have decided to go private. Did some research and have finally decided to go with Healthier Weight as they are with Nuffield in Glasgow.

Today I went for my consult with Mr. Kasem. Actually thought I was going to see Mr. Gibson, but the administrator sent me the wrong booking confirmation. Oh well, these things can happen I suppose. Mr. Kasem seems to be a very no nonsense and straight to the point kinda guy, which I actually quite like. Does anyone have any experience with him?

I will now get my agenda out, time my operation and hopefully be booked in before the end of the month. The only thing I am a bit worried about is Christmas, as I am going back home to see my family. But I guess I just have to tell them how it is.

Anyhoo, I am looking forward to getting to know you all :D

Last edited:
Well, I am currently reading BandedHun´s diary. I am only on page 10, so still got some to go. But so far, way to go!!!!

Lots has happened since yesterday. My appointment has been booked now for the 23rd.....next week Friday...eeeeeek! My pre and post op food pack has also been ordered and should arrive tomorrow. Will start the pre op diet on Thursday. I´ve been having constant butterflies. It is all getting very real now.

Date of operation booked

Well, 24 hours, and so much has happened. I have spoken to HW yesterday to book my appointment. 23rd is the day of reckoning! Next week....wow, I can hardly believe it!

Also ordered my pre and post op food which has already been dispatched and arrives tomorrow, so I can start my pre op diet on Thursday. It is all getting very real now!!! :)

all moving very fast , good luck with the op.

hello Mrs beaver!
you must be soo excited ..not long to go now!

Thanks los! Exited, scared, nervous.....all at the same time...been having butterflies for days, and I still have over a week to go....should be interesting hahaha.

Had a nice big bowl of spagbol for dinner....for the last time...really enjoyed it!

Hey MrsBeaver - wow you're really moving! Hardly any time at all for you. What sort of pre-op diet have you been given? :)

Hi sundown. I'm with healthier weight and they offer a pre and post op food box. It's shakes and soups as well as meals for when u are back in solids. Similar idea to diet chef I suppose :). Dreading the pre op tho, so little calories...will be a long week!

Hi sundown. I'm with healthier weight and they offer a pre and post op food box. It's shakes and soups as well as meals for when u are back in solids. Similar idea to diet chef I suppose :). Dreading the pre op tho, so little calories...will be a long week!

If you're anything like me - you'll be so hungry you want to gnaw your own arm off in the first 3 days and then, after that, the hunger mostly goes away. After that it's just the boredom of having the same thing over and over.

the good thing is that after the operation you wont feel hungry, I am 9 weeks out and still no feeling of hunger at all

I am nine months out and you probably will feel hunger again. I can get absolutely ravenous, in fact I used to be able to go longer without food before the op than I can now, the difference is the amount you can eat but most importantly what you choose to eat.
Good luck with your journey, it will be amazing x

Thanks girls for all your kind words and advise. Yeh no doubt I will be starving....after all, I am cutting my calory intake in half....will miss the chewing the most I think. Did juicing before and after the second day I just wanted to chew something lol. I am just hoping that these shakes are filling. Also got myself different fruit teas to fill up on fluids. Soooo much to think about.

Any advise on scales? I never managed to get myself scales that show the same weight when I step on them several times....oh and vitamins....was told to take calcium and iron supplements. Anything else you lovelies are taking?

Sorry for the million questions :D

Oh sundown I just realised, your op is next week as well, all the best for that! What made you go for a bypass rather than a band?

Any advise on scales? I never managed to get myself scales that show the same weight when I step on them several times....oh and vitamins....was told to take calcium and iron supplements. Anything else you lovelies are taking?

Sorry for the million questions :D

I've got a pair of digital Tanita scales that give the same weight no matter how many times you step on (believe...I've tried lol). They also give your body fat percentage....which is how come I know that I've got the same fat content as a pork scratching :D

Oh sundown I just realised, your op is next week as well, all the best for that! What made you go for a bypass rather than a band?

Thank you!

On your questions - basically a lorra, lorra research and comparisons, plus taking into account my lifestyle. After a lot of reading, the only real bonus I could see for the band was that the surgery was less complicated and therefore a lower risk. It obviously involves a lot more after care with the fills and, frankly, with my work I just won't have time to keep going off and doing that. I also felt that the post-op eating regime was a lot harder than with a sleeve or bypass. Lastly, when a consultant went over the choices with me the big thing that stood out was average weight loss which both on stats, and in his own experience, is higher with a bypass than a band. I felt that at my weight and a life-long weight issue I needed to go for the one with the higher loss averages.

However....I didn't want a RnY bypass either; felt that was pretty drastic and if everything goes pear-shaped it's not really reversible. However I did feel I needed the malabsorption of the bypass - didn't think that restriction alone would do it for me and I'm one of those people who always like a back-up. So after a lot of research I alighted upon the mini-bypass which is very common in Europe, but only available in the UK in Southampton and Sunderland so far, and that ticked the boxes. Less risky op than the RnY, but with the same weight loss results and without all the follow-ups of a band. It's also reversible if necessary.

It's a very personal choice really that needs to weigh up lifestyle, your own conclusions from research, weight history and an honest appraisal of personal ability to deal with the post-op eating, cost differences (if going private), surgery risk etc etc. At the end of the day I think that if the person is committed to the surgery they are having, whatever that surgery is, they'll be more successful than someone who's not really invested and thinks the surgery will do all the work for them. The main thing I keep in mind is that in ALL weight loss surgery, it's perfectly possible to regain all the weight again if you're not committed to rest-of-life changes. :)

Last edited:
I've got a pair of digital Tanita scales that give the same weight no matter how many times you step on (believe...I've tried lol). They also give your body fat percentage....which is how come I know that I've got the same fat content as a pork scratching :D

???? same fat percentage as a pork scratching...I actually nearly choked on my food funeral cake just now lol

Thank you! On your questions - basically a lorra, lorra research and comparisons, plus taking into account my lifestyle. After a lot of reading, the only real bonus I could see for the band was that the surgery was less complicated and therefore a lower risk. It obviously involves a lot more after care with the fills and, frankly, with my work I just won't have time to keep going off and doing that. I also felt that the post-op eating regime was a lot harder than with a sleeve or bypass. Lastly, when a consultant went over the choices with me the big thing that stood out was average weight loss which both on stats, and in his own experience, is higher with a bypass than a band. I felt that at my weight and a life-long weight issue I needed to go for the one with the higher loss averages. However....I didn't want a RnY bypass either; felt that was pretty drastic and if everything goes pear-shaped it's not really reversible. However I did feel I needed the malabsorption of the bypass - didn't think that restriction alone would do it for me and I'm one of those people who always like a back-up. So after a lot of research I alighted upon the mini-bypass which is very common in Europe, but only available in the UK in Southampton and Sunderland so far, and that ticked the boxes. Less risky op than the RnY, but with the same weight loss results and without all the follow-ups of a band. It's also reversible if necessary. It's a very personal choice really that needs to weigh up lifestyle, your own conclusions from research, weight history and an honest appraisal of personal ability to deal with the post-op eating, cost differences (if going private), surgery risk etc etc. At the end of the day I think that if the person is committed to the surgery they are having, whatever that surgery is, they'll be more successful than someone who's not really invested and thinks the surgery will do all the work for them. The main thing I keep in mind is that in ALL weight loss surgery, it's perfectly possible to regain all the weight again if you're not committed to rest-of-life changes. :)

Wow, thanks for the explanation. U r right everyone is different. Looking forward to seeing your updates...since we are nearly surgery twins lol

Hi Mrs B, just checking in to wish you all the best with the rest of your pre-op and for your surgery.

I'm 5 days post op, had my surgery at Nuffield too xx

Hi Mrs B, just checking in to wish you all the best with the rest of your pre-op and for your surgery. I'm 5 days post op, had my surgery at Nuffield too xx
Oh hi Sophina, had a wee look through your diary as well. Nice to meet someone that is with Nuffield. How did u find it? Just had a call from them. Git to go in on Monday for my pre-op at 9am....right in the middle of rush hour *sigh

Back