• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

ENDOSCOPY,SEDATION OR SPRAY

lindy62

Hi all, dont know which to have, which is best ect, the pros and cons please , any info would be helpful.

thanks
lindy62

Hello, I know exactly how you feel as I was unsure too. Luckily I have a friend who had an edoscopy under sedation and said that she wished she hadn't bothered, so that convinced me to just have the spray.
It was over in about 7 minutes and the spray wore off after about half an hour. The spray did make me panic a bit, because it felt like I had a ball stuffed at the back of my throat when I swallowed. SOme people say that they feel like they can't breathe, but I was ok there.
Gagging is a reflex, so there's nothing you can do about that, but the nurse I had was great and suggested I breathed through my mouth (a bit like you do in labour!) so I only gagged twice and that was it.
It's not a painful experience, just weird! I'm at SRH and they take a biopsy to check for H.Pylori bacterium (campilobacter), which it turned out I had. Antibiotics sorts that though, so again, it's nothing major...although I did have a freak out at the time haha!!
Hope this helps xx

I had spray first time and it was a bit of a mare due to the machine having a fault. (It was 9 + years ago) After that I always opted for sedation. Its less stress and worry but you do need someone to take you home after and stay with you until you are no longer dopey. You are still aware of what is going on when sedated you just don't feel it and not really remember it. The throat spray does not last long I found. I think either choice is good it is just which you feel more comfortable for. I think some hospitals let you pick sedation but you can change your mind on the day if you like. Hope that helps and good luck with your journey.

i opted for the spray as i didnt fancy being sedated. it was banana flavour, it took about 6/7 mins altogether but it felt like half an hour, they tell you to relax but its really hard with a tube down your throat but i just lay on my side, closed my eyes and focused on breathing through my nose. this is really important because if you loose focus you start panicking and gagging ( as i did) lots of burping and retching but just let it all come out dont try and hold it in :)

I'm not sure about your date, but they don't tell you your results if you're sedated. Another reason for me opting just for spray. I just wanted it over and done with. Which hospital are you at?

I had the spray hun, Its easier especially if you are driving. And too be fair it wasn't too bad. you just have to try and keep relaxed. good luck x

I had both. But to be honest the sedation done nothing. If I was to have it again I wud just go for spray.
Sunderland told me straight away that I was on the list as soon as took camera out.
The sedation doesn't knock you out it just makes you relax a little.

I didn't have to have an endoscopy Pre-op but I did have one about 4 yrs ago when I was diagnosed with reflux & I went for spray only as I didn't fancy the wooziness of sedation & I didn't want to hang around after to recover!!! I was in & out within 10 mins & the only bad thing (other than having a tube down my throat) was that the doc was a right fitty & I was embarrassed by my gagging & burping... lol :)
Think the sedation would help if you're at all nervous about the procedure but don't think it helps with the gagging or burping...
X

Hi I had both as I was frightened but it wasn't too bad and didn't last long. Got confirmation of being on the list. I was able to get a lift there so sedation was an easy option.

Im at sunderland, and everyone has to have one at sunderland. Im not nervous at all, i've had ten surgeries on my wrist so im used to hospitals. Think i'll just go for the spray, at least that way i wont have to depend on anyone for a lift and ill find out im on the list.

lindy62

had an endescope this week and had both spray and sedation although when they say sedation you are aware of everything that goes on and i tried pulling scope out when i started to gag but they managed to stop me and carry out the procedure. it leaves you with a sore gulp for a few hours but after that you are ok. it takes only a few minutes to carry out aswell. had one the other end and that took an hour and a half! they should tell you on day if all is ok but cannot give you biopsie results. good luck.

I had both on first endo as I was also having balloon inserted and overnight stay. On balloon removal I only had the spray and I wished I'd had light sedation too... coz I'm a wuss...

yeah you dont have to make decision until you are actually there. caus at the appt i was then i wasnt going to have sedation. then i was, kept changing my mind til i actually went in for the procedure. glad i did tho caus i to am a wuss and any thing that helps i will take..

Angela

Hi, I had one on Tuesday..... I had spray and sedation, but I feel like I was anaesthetised as as soon as I was sedated I went out like a light..... Don't remember the slightest thing, just woke up in recovery and felt fantastic, no pain or anything, so I'd say go for sedation x

Hi I had a endoscopy I few years ago not to do with wls. I wasnt given the option of sedation I only had the spray and it was orrendous I have a really bad gag reflex and even with the spray I was still gagging especially when fill my stomach with air. I would say sedation all the way after that experience x

Back