• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Banders.......Feeling Full?

vanilla-cupcake

Hi everyone

I was told never to over-eat (obviously) and that I would get a certain sensation in my chest (I think) that told me I was full and NEVER to eat after this as it would come back up, the thing is I have never got this feeling, I put small portions on my plate that I assume I should be having, does this mean im not eating enough becasue I never get the 'feeling' or am I doing the right thing?

I've only had 1 fill so maybe this doesn't happen til I hit the 'sweet spot'

I know im asking alot of questions lately but im petrified of putting any weight on

Thanks
Kate x

Hi Kate

In the early days alot of it is sheer willpower. I have had the full feeling, prior to my fill and still get it now - I feel it right at the top of my stomach, under my left boob (which covers most of stomach anyway lol). If you are coping with the quanitity you are eating and losing weight then I wouldnt worry about it. If you start to get really hungry and find you are eating more and putting weight on its time for that fill. You may indeed feel this after your fill.

Ask whatever you want! we are all here to support and learn x x x

Heya, I usually get fuller quicker if I eat my proteins first. I am still struggling with how much volume sometimes and I have had to be really strict. One of the reasons I personally started counting calories was because as an emotional / compulsive eater I could eat mountains of all sorts before I got any full signal and by then it was far too late.
It's difficult to answer wether someone else is having the right amount because there are so many different factors.
Maybe if you add another mini meal to what you're already having thats mainly protein it would give you enough to eat so you're not going into starvation mode, keep active anyway, and maybe say have two eggs on toast instead of one ?? or add some lean bacon or ham instead to breakfast alongside what you have already? I'm sure you could add a couple extra bits like that to each meal or have a mid afternoon small salad & protein and not harm your loss. That said I don't know for definate, I am only suggesting .
After you eat your food maybe wait a few minutes and if you still feel you want something go have a couple bites of something healthy.??
Sorry I'm not very useful.

Heya, I usually get fuller quicker if I eat my proteins first. I am still struggling with how much volume sometimes and I have had to be really strict. One of the reasons I personally started counting calories was because as an emotional / compulsive eater I could eat mountains of all sorts before I got any full signal and by then it was far too late.
It's difficult to answer wether someone else is having the right amount because there are so many different factors.
Maybe if you add another mini meal to what you're already having thats mainly protein it would give you enough to eat so you're not going into starvation mode, keep active anyway, and maybe say have two eggs on toast instead of one ?? or add some lean bacon or ham instead to breakfast alongside what you have already? I'm sure you could add a couple extra bits like that to each meal or have a mid afternoon small salad & protein and not harm your loss. That said I don't know for definate, I am only suggesting .
After you eat your food maybe wait a few minutes and if you still feel you want something go have a couple bites of something healthy.??
Sorry I'm not very useful.

Neen, where is your gorgeous profile pic???

Ah I got rid of the cheesy grin:) I might take a new one on Sunday at the party:)
Also I just wanted to add that Mazza is right about the fill, you've only had the one. Don't worry so much ! It's eaaaaaarrrrrrlllllyyyyyy days! OH plus I just remembered, it's not just eating "too much" that can make you sick...I threw up one and a half cherries a while ago....must have been the skin on them...not fair eh *rolls eyes*

Hi Kate

I'm still confused about how we are supposed to feel after eating too :confused:

Warning - don't read the following if you're easily put off :(

I've just had 2 boiled eggs and had to leave half of 1 of them as it feels like its coming back up, too dry I think, on almost every occasion after I've eaten I end up with a build up of a thick clear mucus which I have to 'get up' as it won't go down and I feel like I can't breathe at times.

I don't think I'm eating too much and I know we're meant to try and eat dryer food (as in not too much sauce) but I really don't like the feeling of it sitting in my chest.

has anyone else felt this??

Hi Kate

I'm still confused about how we are supposed to feel after eating too :confused:

Warning - don't read the following if you're easily put off :(

I've just had 2 boiled eggs and had to leave half of 1 of them as it feels like its coming back up, too dry I think, on almost every occasion after I've eaten I end up with a build up of a thick clear mucus which I have to 'get up' as it won't go down and I feel like I can't breathe at times.

I don't think I'm eating too much and I know we're meant to try and eat dryer food (as in not too much sauce) but I really don't like the feeling of it sitting in my chest.

has anyone else felt this??

Yes I have felt like this, my shepherds pie yesterday was quite dry, I had a bit of gravy with it but it didn't do much good, I felt it was getting stuck so I had to take a few sips to wash it down, I had no choice :eek: We were so use to having a drink with our meals its hard not having that anymore. Boiled eggs would be far too dry for me unless I had salad cream or mayo with them. I have a poached egg in the mornings and the yolk is lovely and runny, its the only way I can eat them

hi guys, this feeling is feeling full in the sense of being banded, this is your restriction working for you, stop eating at the 1st sign of fullness/restriction. restriction can be an uncomftable thing to come to terms with but your band is stopping you eating a bigger portion and its doing its job correctly. if this feeling isnt there with some meals then the foods will most likley be more towards the slider food types. it does take a while to ajust and its normal to feel confused in the early stages of banding.

liz x

Hi Girls,

The feeling you are describing is restriction. That slightly tight but not painful sensation. It should never be bone crushing but the slight discomfort is there for a reason.

If you are building up mucus, it's because you are eating too fast. It happens to me sometimes, especially if I eat when too hungry and go a little too fast. Slow back down and it goes away.

Try to avoid too many slider foods, they are easy to tolerate (and yes I still have them now and then) but you are far better off with solid proteins, veg and a few carbs last. Try smaller mouthfuls than you are doing now, have one mouthful, chew and then sit and wait for it to go through the band, put the knife and fork down and most of all relax and not worry what anyone else around you is doing. I know when I go out, sometimes I make the mistake of pacing with other people and it can sometimes end in the meal departing.

Yummy, try not to drink whilst eating, this is really not good for long term success as it flushes food through too fast and any sense of fullness you get with restriction is wasted.

It's all a massive learning curve, I am still learning and still make the odd mistake but it's getting easier.

I even had a little organic cider (very slight sparkle) after dinner the other night...that was a real treat.

And remember before you get to sweet spot restriction, it takes a lot of self control and hard work to lose weight, so for every pound you do, congratulate yourself and feel proud. :)

Hi Kate
I'm not sure how different the full feeling is between banders and us bypass guys, but like you i'm terrified of over eating and being sick that i don't think i have experienced that full feeling either so thanks for the post hopefully it will also be helpful to me and my pouch x

Hey Yvonne thats exactly what was happening to me. It's stopped since I don't eat bread any more, happened with pasta as well and some fruit. I would love egg on toast, ironically I tried poached egg on toast a while back and was really enjoying it then BAM straight into the loo and I get tons of cartarrh when it comes back. It's horrible hun, I can totally sympathise.
I have it with some thick bits of meat too, like pork and beef.
I'm ok with chicken , thin wafer thin meats like ham and beef if I'm careful...fish like tuna is ok but it fills me up really fast.
I don't know how one egg more soft boiled would be on its own or with meat?
Sorry you had that happen xxx

Yes I have felt like this, my shepherds pie yesterday was quite dry, I had a bit of gravy with it but it didn't do much good, I felt it was getting stuck so I had to take a few sips to wash it down, I had no choice :eek: We were so use to having a drink with our meals its hard not having that anymore. Boiled eggs would be far too dry for me unless I had salad cream or mayo with them. I have a poached egg in the mornings and the yolk is lovely and runny, its the only way I can eat them

yes I can usually manage 2 poached eggs quite easily, but as I've not lost any weight these last 2 weeks thought I should try something dryer...no chance :rolleyes:

I was reading the daily menu thread last night and was suprised (not sure why) at how differently we banders can eat...for instance I've not dared try pasta or rice and was sick with a small piece of toast at the weekend.

Because I was away at my Sisters last week, I fell into the bad habit of eating very easy things just so that she could observe me eating something....mash, crackers with butter, crisps which is why I'm guessing no weight loss.

My Hubby has become very good at spotting the signs if I need to 'get rid' of eaten food...I'm worried I'm going to get an eating disorder the way I'm behaving!

sorry for whinging :eek:

hi guys, this feeling is feeling full in the sense of being banded, this is your restriction working for you, stop eating at the 1st sign of fullness/restriction. restriction can be an uncomftable thing to come to terms with but your band is stopping you eating a bigger portion and its doing its job correctly. if this feeling isnt there with some meals then the foods will most likley be more towards the slider food types. it does take a while to ajust and its normal to feel confused in the early stages of banding.

liz x

No way.........is that restriction??? The food feels like its stuck in my throat not my chest, I soooo didn't know that was it, thank god I asked this question. Oh God now I feel like I have been having too many slider foods as I only experienced this yesterday with dry shepherds pie!!

No way.........is that restriction??? The food feels like its stuck in my throat not my chest, I soooo didn't know that was it, thank god I asked this question. Oh God now I feel like I have been having too many slider foods as I only experienced this yesterday with dry shepherds pie!!

:) hi kate please dont panick, its all trial and error with restriction and finding what food densities suit you best at different stages regarding how tight your band is at the time, restriction doesnt always come from just totally dry foods, for instance i can eat mash no problems i always have been able to but my sister shes a bander to cant eat mash as she says its to gloupy for her and it makes her vomit, we are all different kate and its a learning curve for us all to find whats just right for us.

p.s you may find that one day you can tollerate a cetain food then the next it may get stuck, if this happens dont worry as it is quite common.

liz xxx

I found last week very hard as it was the first family gathering for ages (and since op), and found I was getting grilled by my Sister and Brother who hadn't seen me since before the op.

I didn't want them to worry, so tried to be as normal as you can be with a band (eating wise) and ate easy stuff just so they could see I was eating something.

Caz - yes it's slight discomfort...not painful or bone crushing...almost like when I could eat bread but ate too big a piece....I shall try to slow down too as the mucus palaver is just horrible and embarrasing :eek:

Kate - :hijack:...apologies xx

:) hi kate please dont panick, its all trial and error with restriction and finding what food densities suit you best at different stages regarding how tight your band is at the time, restriction doesnt always come from just totally dry foods, for instance i can eat mash no problems i always have been able to but my sister shes a bander to cant eat mash as she says its to gloupy for her and it makes her vomit, we are all different kate and its a learning curve for us all to find whats just right for us.

p.s you may find that one day you can tollerate a cetain food then the next it may get stuck, if this happens dont worry as it is quite common.

liz xxx

Thanks Liz, im really gonna have to sit down and work out an eating plan, just looked back over my daily menus and I have had hardly any veg at all......thats not good enough, cheers, you and Caz always have all the answers for us newbies x x x

I found last week very hard as it was the first family gathering for ages (and since op), and found I was getting grilled by my Sister and Brother who hadn't seen me since before the op.

I didn't want them to worry, so tried to be as normal as you can be with a band (eating wise) and ate easy stuff just so they could see I was eating something.

Caz - yes it's slight discomfort...not painful or bone crushing...almost like when I could eat bread but ate too big a piece....I shall try to slow down too as the mucus palaver is just horrible and embarrasing :eek:

Kate - :hijack:...apologies xx

oh give over this thread is for all of us :D

Back