• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First day of pre op diet done

clairelou

First day of milk diet over...surgery suddenly seems to be very imminent now

i felt hungry until early evening but by the time i`d finished my alloted milk / yoghurt for the day that had actually passed...so maybe it isn`t going to be too bad

On the plus side the scales are down 4lb from 2 days ago to whooooo:)

Hi

Big grats on the loss

Milk diet not easy but keep it up and it will all be worth while. Try and save some milk for nightime or if you feel you cant go without something have a oxo cube (Veggy) in hot water , 14 cals per cup zero fat and has some salts in that you need.

Best of luck with it all

Mark

you're doing really well claire :) the time will fly by now! you know we're all here for when it gets hard.

good luck hun with the milk diet although i have to admit i felt as sick as a pig reading it lol ever since i had my bypass a year ago i havent been able to look at milk let alone drink it lol so good for u take care xxx

Well done one day one - you know we are all here for you if the going gets tough xx

Hows day 2 going claire?

todays been great...felt really full of energy & not hungry apart from 10 mins where i felt a bit wobbly at lunch time but i ate my yoghurt & soon felt fine again. Hope the rest of the week is as easy lol :)

good job i love milk!!

aww thats great Claire :) not so sure you'll still love milk at the end of it though!

Now why isn't there a chocolate and quavers pre-op diet?

Now why isn't there a chocolate and quavers pre-op diet?

That would be my kind of pre-op diet, no, wait, that is my diet at the mo!!

what is the pre op diet please?

Each surgeon seems to have their own, but there are a few common ones.

Milk diet - 3-5 pints of milk and 2 low fat yoghurts per day

Jelly diet - either clear soup or bovril/stock and sugar free jelly

VLCD - low carb calorie counted plan (like the one claires posted above)

Meal replacement diet - protein shakes/slim fast shakes only

The problem is most overweight people have biiiig livers, which tend to get in the way during surgery. So for 10-14days pre op bypass and band patients go on a liver shrinking or pre-op diet. This shrinks the liver by using up the huge quantities of glycogen stored in it (glycogen is stored in 'water' and is the first source your body goes to for fuel, this is why people often say oh its just water when you start losing weight).

Most surgeons are very strict on the pre-op diets, if you don't show a substantial weight loss on them then some won't operate. People tend to lose 7lbs-2stone on them.

Hope that helps :D

Thanks for that. I understand about the glycogen store. god i have so much to learn and so many questions for the surgeon when i see him. may be there a week!!!!

write them down! I didn't think to and hardly asked anything, which I regret.

Sorry if my last post re glycogen etc seemed patronising, its hard to gauge how much people know so I tend to try to make my explanations understandable to all :) Old habit from working with kids for so long.

Your explanation is great...i never realised the whole picture about your liver...i do now !! he he ! 3 days till the start of mine !!! might be a silly question but next sunday is my best friends wedding and i wondered if having a couple of glasses of wine will harm my pre-op diet?? i'm doing slim fast for 2 weeks y'see or what i could drink that wouldn't harm it then? cheers peeps !! xx

Personally I would say keep off the alcohol if you can. If you really want to have a drink then go for something with as few calories as possible, so vodka/gin and slimline tonic/diet coke etc, and try to have as few as possible. With it being at the start of your 2 weeks you might get away with it but in all honesty what's more important, 1 night of a few beers or a lifetime of being the right weight?

shel is right lovebug...definately stay away from the wine, full of sugars it will just undo the days of diet you put in previously as the shrinking of the liver is a cumulative thing.

yeah your right girlies !!!!!!!! i'll just stick to tonic water. I suppose i knew that all along but it just shows how my mind works...that..ooh just one won't hurt ha ha ...i'm quite looking forward to the pre-op diet...takes away the choice and start my mental diet too. I think that part will be the hardest until my band is at the right fill...will take a few months they say but i have unlimited fills with my package and 2 years support programme which i know i'll need. But onwards and upwards as they say!! can't wait for this new start. was looking at peoples success stories and pictures ...fabulous ! a real incentive !!!xx

good choice lovebug :) times going to fly by now!

Back