• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First Fill - Success!

Purple Sparkle

So, after my little problem on Sunday where nurse could not find opening on port, been back to hospital today and seen a different person and he was fab - found port and opening straight away and it was over and done with in a few mins. No prodding and poking and no pain! :D

He put 5 ml in but I could still drink ok so he put another couple in and I could feel it straight away so he took 1 ml back out - was such a relief to get it sorted.

Feel like this is the real beginning now - onwards and upwards!

Justine x

glad it got sorted and do take it easy as going to 6ml on a first fill is a big jump, you may not notice it so much on liquids but when you start having mush and normal foods, altho we want the fills and restriction to kick in, do take it slowly and steady, better to build up than jump. A lady I was talking to when I went for my last fill had huge jumps (she was getting aftercare only due to her original provider being so poor!) but she went up in such big fills it had caused issues and was then finding she was at 13mls and no restriction with only a ml to go until full band :(

Slow an steady is the key with a band, eating, fills etc,

Great news x

glad you sorted I did think they would be better at it , a old friend had a fill nurse to her house caused her a leak thru her port tubing never had faith in them since. anyhow lucky you got a big fill that will keep you going I was only ever allowed a mill or 2 at a time so don't know how it feels going so full so quick but take things easy food wise till u settle

Fantastic news, well chuffed for you. Made my appointment for first fill on 27th July, am a little nervous as my surgeon put the port in middle of my tummy about 2 inches above belly button and that's not where my provider said it would be! But hopefully all will be fine on the day x :)

wow, 3 mil, I only had 1 mil, I had restiction of a sort to start with but at the moment I am feeling the hunger!

good luck and glad it got sorted xx

Thanks everyone - I was surprised that the fill was so much but they have assured me that any future fills will be max of 1ml per time, it is just the first one they tend to do a larger one.

Been back on liquids for rest of today, mushies tomorrow and textured/normal food Friday and if he told me once he told me 20 times 'chew,chew and chew some more!' lol

Justine x

had my first fill yesterday too, but as I am going on holiday in 1 months time, I only asked for a small fill as I don't want any problems whilst abroad. I am 5 weeks post op, have lost two and a half stone so am really pleased, but I know I will put weight on on holiday!!!. so, had 3,5 mil in a 14 mil band. boy its a big needle, and I have to say althought it didn't hurt, it wasn't the most pleasant!!!

Hi jaynel

I have had 2 holidays this year all inclusive and never gained on either just stayed the same. I drank every day as well. Going again on Monday and can't wait.

It's a full new world with the band! I still eat my normal diet, salads, etc and loads of fish but like I said didn't worry about having a wine.

Enjoy it but don't go mad with ice creams and other fatty stuff and you will be just fine x x my syn is the wine so didn't mind living on salads for the week x

God I sound like an alcoholic on this board but I am just enjoying my new life, still losing all be it a bit slower but enjoying the journey 100% x

How does it feel?

Is it like when you first got the band in, that feeling that you're full, and if you try to gulp too fast, it just won't go down?

Do you feel hungry at all?

How does it feel?

Is it like when you first got the band in, that feeling that you're full, and if you try to gulp too fast, it just won't go down?

Do you feel hungry at all?

Hi Bookie

Yes, it feels like it did just after the band was put in. Just sat eating my weetabix now - very sloppy, but I can feel it going down and sitting before sliding through and I am back to sipping my drinks now as I had fallen back into gulping them down during the last week.

I had my fill at 1pm yesterday - up to that point I had eaten 2 ryvita with philly and ham and a banana. After the fill I just had water until about 6pm when I had about 1/4 can of soup and a cup of bovril - no hunger pangs atall.

Hope this helps

Justine x

It does, thanks, that's the way it feels for me now still with just the band deflated, so that answers my own question. :)

Back