• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First step ... Gastric band

mizkirsty

Hi

I'm new to the forum!

I'm having my consultation in 2 weeks for a gastric band to be fitted in nov. I am paying privately as I'm super fed up of the yoyoing I seem to be an expert at.

Anyone else in my shoes?

Any experiences? X

I've been told at my consultation today that they (Homerton) don't like doing gastric banding, prefer bypass or sleeve, but that's not what I want.
Is this why you are going privately for op?

Hello and welcome to a fantastic site, loads of great and supportive people on here
good luck in reaching your goals

Hi Res
I in the very beginning wanted the band only because it was the only one I had ever really heard of so when I had my first meeting with the psych team they told me that the band was slowly been done less and less and they were favouring the sleeve or bypass more reason given were
slipping band
corrosion
reflux
blockages
plus they felt all the re fills /de fills till a "sweet spot" was found could take a while where a bypass/sleeve showed results a lot quicker

Hi

I'm going privately bc my BMI isn't high enough for the NHS to even consider helping me with surgery. So I've made the decision myself to go privately.

The band can be reversed. It's less complicated and therefore has less risk - IMO. And as I say I have about 4st to loose so for me it's probably a better option.

I also like the fact that it can be adjusted!

But I'm sure your dr knows what they are doing and so recommending what they think is best for you!!

I'm excited but terrified too!

Xxx

My surgeon told me categorically that he doesn't do bands!
I started this process wanting a band as I felt any other procedure was too drastic and permenant. When I went to the seminar though and listened to all the info I thought a bypass would suit me better and when I got the chance to discuss it with the dietician and surgeon that's exactly what they said.
They do know their stuff but I'm sure there are arguments for and against any procedure so I guess you need to be open, research and consider all options and make the decision you feel best for you.
Good luck!

Hi

I'm going privately bc my BMI isn't high enough for the NHS to even consider helping me with surgery. So I've made the decision myself to go privately.

The band can be reversed. It's less complicated and therefore has less risk - IMO. And as I say I have about 4st to loose so for me it's probably a better option.

I also like the fact that it can be adjusted!

But I'm sure your dr knows what they are doing and so recommending what they think is best for you!!

I'm excited but terrified too!

Xxx
According to statistics the failure rate is too high for bands. It's much higher than for other procedures. It's one of the reason our hospital has stopped doing them. I was told by my surgeon that at some point they were taking more of them out than putting in.

There are a few people here on this board who have done wonderfully with a band but the number of those who had problems or simply didn't achieve much is much higher. Just think about it that it might cost more in the long run.

Last edited:
I had originally booked a band for the same reasons Mizkirsty. Liked the sound of the adjustments, it was reversible etc etc. I cancelled that op for several reasons - wasn't happy with the provider, read more about the band. Etc etc

I finally realised that the reason I was contemplating surgery wasn't because I couldn't lose weight, but that I couldn't keep it off. So the idea of its reversibility didn't really benefit me. I understood that I needed a permanent tool to enable me to live my life as I wanted. I too have around 4 stone to lose currently.

I then undertook a few months of research. Met with three different providers and settled on the sleeve. I'm now almost 3 weeks post op.

Don't get me wrong, a close friend has been hugely successful with the band, losing 8 stone and realising her dream of having a baby. There are also many inspirational people on this forum who have bands and reading their stories is really great.

All I'd say is don't close off other options. This is a once in a lifetime chance. I also shopped around and got an amazing surgeon.

Hi thanks everyone for your replies.

I originally was going to opt for the balloon. But figured actually if I was going to pay that much money really I wanted something more long term.

I personally don't feel comfortable with permanently changing my anatomy inside. I mean it took me 4 years to agree to the contraceptive implant haha!

I have two friends who have had great success with the band. And after doing my research do feel this is the best option for me. Recovery is quicker - which means I can get back into the gym sooner.

And actually the band can be adjusted for life. If I fail and stretch my stomach again after a bypass it's only reversible by another surgery. And as I said personally I don't feel comfortable adjusting my anatomy to that degree.

I realise with any procedure there's a chance if I don't follow it properly then it can fail. But I know I can loose weight and stay active. I'm hoping this will just provide a tool to help when the plateaux hits. And will hopefully get me into a healthy weight range!

Bypass or sleeve wasn't really a consideration I looked into much. Only the balloon and band.

But I take on board all your valid points.

I do have a surgery date now :) 13th nov.

So here's to hopefully the rest of a slender and healthy life xxx

And I also think if I'm paying for it and not having it on the NHS that's more motivation to make it work. Otherwise I've wasted a lot of money!!! X

Good luck!! I had the band about 6 weeks ago and don't regret it for a second!!! Looking forward to hearing how u get on xx

Sharon. How did you find it all from the pre op diet to surgery to the post op diet? I have just over 10days off work is that enough recovery time?

I'm so excited. But nervous. I've never had an anaesetic before xxx

Hi thanks everyone for your replies.

I originally was going to opt for the balloon. But figured actually if I was going to pay that much money really I wanted something more long term.

I personally don't feel comfortable with permanently changing my anatomy inside. I mean it took me 4 years to agree to the contraceptive implant haha!

I have two friends who have had great success with the band. And after doing my research do feel this is the best option for me. Recovery is quicker - which means I can get back into the gym sooner.

And actually the band can be adjusted for life. If I fail and stretch my stomach again after a bypass it's only reversible by another surgery. And as I said personally I don't feel comfortable adjusting my anatomy to that degree.

I realise with any procedure there's a chance if I don't follow it properly then it can fail. But I know I can loose weight and stay active. I'm hoping this will just provide a tool to help when the plateaux hits. And will hopefully get me into a healthy weight range!

Bypass or sleeve wasn't really a consideration I looked into much. Only the balloon and band.

But I take on board all your valid points.

I do have a surgery date now :) 13th nov.

So here's to hopefully the rest of a slender and healthy life xxx

You're quite right in everything you say. It's a personal decision and you have completely the right mindset. Loads of luck. Have you a pre-op diet to do?

You're quite right in everything you say. It's a personal decision and you have completely the right mindset. Loads of luck. Have you a pre-op diet to do?

Hi! Thanks

I feel like I do have the right mindset. I'm not seeing it as a miracle but a tool to assist in the journey.

And I really do feel the band is the correct procedure for me.

No not yet! I have my consultation next week. So guessing I will be given it then.

I've started slim fast today figured it would only help! Both with portion and getting used to shakes. As I've heard many are shake or milk related!!

What was your pre op diet like?

Xx

Back