• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Following your surgeon's advice!

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
I mentioned on another thread a few days ago that my friend lost his wife very recently to a blood clot, following her surgery. She'd lost 4 stone in the 7 weeks post op, which was too much too soon really and had also had a problem with a post op infection. She felt very poorly and kept wanting to throw up, so the last thing she wanted to do was be active. He told me earlier that she hadn't been drinking the protein shakes she was given because she didn't like the taste, she also hadn't been drinking water and she hadn't been moving around at all. Whilst on the waiting list she had also eaten a lot more than usual too, which I know is common because we want those last few blow outs.
Her death has come as a real eye opener to me. I know we are told the risks beforehand. I've been told to stop smoking and start exercising regularly to make myself fitter before the operation. I've failed on both counts so far. I know people die from the surgery but I've always just felt that it wouldn't be me. But it could be.
Unlike this poor lady, I don't have little kids who risk losing their mum. But I need to get it into my head that I have a responsibility, to my surgeon, the bariatric team, the funding panel, my gp, everyone who has helped me get this far and given me this chance, to do everything I'm told and listen to their advice. They don't give us those instructions for nothing.

I'll be smoking my last ever cigarettes this evening and I'm going to the gp to ask for an exercise referral. I saw two little kids today who are having to face up to life without their mum and it broke my heart.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, its a tragedy. As a mother of 2 little ones it was my worst fear, and the ting that had me tearful right up until they put me out. If Im honest when I woke up after the surgery I was shocked, I really felt i'd be the one in 200 (or what ever it is) who did not.

You are of course right, it is important to follow the surgeons advice, and I too struggled with quitting the fags, infact I only stopped about 3 weeks before my op.

Those poor kiddies.

for yourself, hard as it is, try to focus on the positives, through this site we "know" of so many mor sucess stories than tragedies.

My condolences for the loss of your friend, may she rest in eternal peace.

How sad. But like you say the advice doesnt come without a reason!! I honestly believe my recovery was so good because i was in the best shape i could be prior to surgery.. i was lucky as i didnt smoke but it is proven that even scar tissue takes longer to heal on smokers than non smokers so just on that front its worth it let alone the damage to yr lungs and the complications with anethesia.
Good luck on both fronts but even if its only a couple of extra trips up stairs or a walk around the block whilst waiting for yr exercise referal its worth doing any little thing that you can to aid yr fitness!!

Im so sorry to hear about your friend...how very sad it is for those 2 children, well in fact all of the family and friends including you.
You are so right about the surgeons telling us things for our own good, they dont want to make our life difficult....although it seems like it at times but they are there to help us. They play their part so we should too. I know how hard the smoking is, I used to smoke 80 a day...I quit over 3 yrs ago after 2 strokes so I was really under pressure from the doctors and the family. You can do it hun....just think how much you want the surgery (HUG) All my best for the new regime ;) XX

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend's wife, how tragic for the loved ones she left behind. I was a heavy smoker pre op and stopped only two weeks before and am pleased to say i've never gone back to them. I tried to walk the dog for longer pre op too as you say it must have been so difficult to see those wee one's faces. Please pass on my sympathy to those left behind and big hugs to you hun x

omg how awful, those poor babies, im sos orry to hear this, this to is my biggest fear, you never know what to do for the best hey x

I don't want to put anyone off having the op by posting about this, but perhaps just a warning that you must do what they say and do everything you can to reduce the risks.

gaelicgirl, i'm extending baxter's walks on the field too. He's having a great time lol.

I'm soo sorry to hear about your friend's wife and those kids. I used to smoke a lot. Around 2 pack of 20 each day. I never had problems quiting. I always think of what i need and what might go wrong if i don't or what i will loose. Be strong. I know if i can then anyond can. Please try. I know its hard at first. You can try those electric cigg at first then slowly try to quit. Hope & pray that you quit smoking soon.

X X

I'm so so sorry to hear this and feel for her family. You are absolutely right to say we must follow the surgeon's advice, they know the risks and what increases them and its in our best interests to heed them - the consequences are too great otherwise. Because we've learnt to live with our weight for so long I think we sometimes get complacent and forget the actual strain our bodies are constantly under and the damage it is doing to our health and how susceptible we are after major surgery. A fantastic post and one I hope people heed x

hi hun..
I am sorry about your friend..as a pre op its an eye opener...

Your are right to stop smoking now....I quit back in august with the help of dotty(jacqui) and others...

Here was my insentive..i was told if i did not quit i would not recieve funding and the surgeon would refuse the op if he was aware i was a smoker!!!!!!
Having tried so many times before it was the biggest incentive anyone has given me and I have quit!!!!
Now the exercise bit.... this I am working on..but I am not that mobile .....but it all helps...

My condolences to the lose of your friend.... x x

What a tragedy for those left behind. A cautionary tale for us all.

My heart and thoughts are with the family who lost their loved one. Its so hard knowing whats right from wrong :(

So sad xx

Sorry to hear this sad news. My thoughts go out to you and your friends family. All I kept thinking was this advice is given for a reason and we ignore it at our peril. Still a very sorry case though and i send my best wishes to you all
JO XX

i am so sorry to hear this upsetting news, it definately makes you think................we really must trust these guys x

Aw I'm so sorry for ur loss of a friend and the family she left behind :( I'm on my last month of my 12 mths weight management course the dietician is very pleased with my weight loss so far but at my last meeting she said I need to quit smoking I've really tried I've gone from 40 a day to 8/10 :(( so still not good enuff after reading this I hope it gives me the push I need to stop all together as I want the gastric sleeve more than anything I want to be slim n healthy n lead a long n happy life take care Hun xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

such a sad day for you love ,we need to hear this because its easy to ignore the dangers,thankyou for posting it so well and with great compassion, i like everyone am so sorry for yours and your freinds loss , may she be safe and sleeping tight with the angels and may they watch over her babies and loved ones xxx

omg im so sorry for your friend, the children and family, and of course you :( Thank you for posting this, we all know it happens but dont encounter it :( sending love and healing xxx

This is an older post, that has been revived. The poor lady died back in January 2011, but the lessons to all are so relevant. We do all have to help ourselves and work towards recovery. I too had blow outs before the milk diet started. I put on half a stone, and lost 1 stone on the milk diet. Of course I could have been 1 stone lower, rather than my 1/2 stone nett loss. I will always be grateful I didn't start smoking and it must be horrendous to give up at a time of stress, and when you are also giving up your comfort food as well.

Good luck to all you post oppers who have goals to meet and also have to give up smoking. God Bless.

thanks Trisha, didnt realise it was reposted but still an important heartbreaking post ,x

Back