• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

did the bypass fail of the host!!!

hopelesscase

At aqua fit today i got talking to a woman there who had had a gastric bypass she had it in 2005. her starting weight was 21st same as me she lost 8 stone initially taking her to a size 14. Over the past years she has put 4 stone back on and she is now a size 20. She still went for her 12 monthly check ups and was constantly being told that she was eating too many carbs. She was saying that she can eat and drink anything but has constant runs( too many fats i think personally and did mention it) she also said that she has no restriction. At her last check up she had a barium meal and was told that she had stretched her pouch. She should of gone for a check up last month but decided there was no point as the bypass had failed!!!

I asked her if she had ever done anything like the 5 day pouch test when her restriction started failing and she said but i just love food and im greedy. so i then asked her if she had had any psychological support which again she said oh i went a couple of times but she just wanted me to talk about my life..

I suppose in lots of ways there wasnt the same info and support around then that there is now but her final words were that she was now with a new husband who likes her as she is. which got me thinking did she have it done for herself initially or to please her husband of a failing marriage..

I know if i eat carbs more than twice a day the lbs start creeping on and have to keep a constant check on things. After meeting this woman who was lovely i will be keeping an even closer eye on things as it really has bought it home to me just how easy it would be to undo all the hard work already put into my journey...

A great tip and thanks for flagging this up... for sure... something to watch out for and to learn from... love and hugs Angel, hope you are well xxx

Absolutely, it's got to be a partnership for life and continual healthy eating... you look so good and so healthy... very well done precious... hope to see you at one of the Salford meets ... xxx

A cautionary tale for sure and one we need to remind ourselves of. A bypass cannot deal with the underlying issues which caused our obesity in the first place. And long term results are down to us.

Interestingly, at the support group meeting last night we were discussing factors which contribute to success or failure after WLS. Mr El Hassani told us that international research has failed to demonstrate any evidence that those who have psychiatric as well as dietician support do any better in the long term.

Omg Carole that is a scary story, and a reminder to us all to stick to the original rules:(

Interestingly, at the support group meeting last night we were discussing factors which contribute to success or failure after WLS. Mr El Hassani told us that international research has failed to demonstrate any evidence that those who have psychiatric as well as dietician support do any better in the long term.

That's really interesting Rose, as I read a paper a couple of weeks ago saying the exact opposite! But I think you are spot on in what you say: 'A bypass cannot deal with the underlying issues which caused our obesity in the first place. And long term results are down to us.'

It may sound a but daft but for me living in fear is what I want to do. This past month being at the hospital with Pa 24/7 and relying on snacks from vending machines or coffee shops (mostly lacking in healthy alternatives) on has gone 7lbs how soon could that be 7 stones and then the rest? My restriction is spasmodic and not great, so stoking the "living in fear of regain" helps me keep it all in check

M

That is such a cautionary tale. Thank you so much for posting it. I firmly believe your head has to be totally in the right place to be successful and to continue to be successful.

It's a funny thing about restriction. I've been eating slightly larger portions recently, and wondered if I had stretched my pouch. My gastroscopy last week confirms that I definitely haven't, and my pouch is still as tiny as when it was made 6 months ago.

The food in hospital was pretty awful, not bad but just very tedious, boring and uninspirational. That, coupled with a fear of causing more pain, made me eat much less than I have been doing.

Have I been hungry? No, not at all. So basically, what it comes down to, is that I have probably been eating past restriction, and ignoring pouchey's messages.

The scary thing is that I wasn't really aware of it. I'm being much more careful now.

Grace xxx

Im really lucky in that right from day one i get the most horrendous hiccups when eating. embarrasing they may be at times but they are my way of saying enough is enough!! they can come on after 2 mouth fulls or 12 but as soon as they do its fork or spoon down and thats it!! the couple of times in the earlky days i ignored them i soon hit restriction and hate that feeling so just rely on my hiccups to say nearly there!!

Thank you so much for telling us about this. Definitely something to keep reminding myself of.

i think thats where the danger is long term, especially if you dont get ongoing support, thats where this site is so important to all of us, it helps us keep our eye on the ball so to speak. i honestly think, that if we continue to come on here, non of us would put any weight back on, well at least not a lot of weight, i think a lot of ppl may fluctuate by a few pounds either side. arnt we lucky to have each other. hugs xxx

I think this probably happens a lot to be honest. Without places like this a lot of people flounder and some people just are never in the right head space to deal with life after a bypass.

I know I struggle some days and I have a lot of support online in a few places and at home. Ive been really stressed lately and have been eating total rubbish. Its not easy by any means is it.

It is a frightening story - being pre op - I think sometimes I do have my rose coloured glasses on. But as Dawny says this site will keep us on the straight and narrow.

Just one question though... Can I have the hiccup optional upgrade on the NHS? It sounds fantastic :D

It deffinately isnt an easy ride after surgery.....I love every second of my new life but its harder than I expected. I got as much information as I could pre-op and it still is a bit of a shock :D The best way to go about it I think is look at it as a new way of eating and be happy with what you can have and dont hanker for what you cant :D XX

ha ha ha trisha, it would make life so much easier if we all had the hiccup feature wouldnt it, lol, i just get the feeling that im full, and i might have only had a couple of mouthfuls, but if i eat any more, then i feel really yukky, so i just have to 'obey' the pouch. lol

Thanks for sharing this! I can definitely imagine how this could happen!
The surgery is obviously a fantastic tool. But it IS only a tool. I feel that I still need to make good decisions at meal time, or when confronted with temptation (I don't seem to dump.. yet), keep up my hydration and lead a healthy lifestyle. It's not a magic fix, it's a tool that supports a lifestyle change that *I* (we) need to make happen.
Thanks again for sharing.

It deffinately isnt an easy ride after surgery.....I love every second of my new life but its harder than I expected. I got as much information as I could pre-op and it still is a bit of a shock :D The best way to go about it I think is look at it as a new way of eating and be happy with what you can have and dont hanker for what you cant :D XX

My approach completely! i honestly miss nothing that was part of my old way of eating and drinking... but love everything about my bypass!!!

It is a frightening story - being pre op - I think sometimes I do have my rose coloured glasses on. But as Dawny says this site will keep us on the straight and narrow.

Just one question though... Can I have the hiccup optional upgrade on the NHS? It sounds fantastic :D
I'm also pre op and i must admit the thought of this op not being successful is something i never think about. I am definitely guilty of thinking it's a walk in the park and that 100% effort may not be needed. How wrong am i.....a reminder to myself that i need to put my heart and soul into making the op work for me...thanks x

Back