• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

food after bypass

pmkmrm

;) hey everyone,
can i ask bypassers how the found the first say 3 months post bypass in regards to food and energy?
i had my op on the 13th june and so far have lost 3st 7llb.
i am struggling at the moment with eating morning and lunchtimes are hard i can not seems to stomach my weetabix or my lunch and struggling with what would be a normall dinner all be it a tiny portion,
i worry about the protein and not getting enough i have tried protein shake made me dump and protein drink yuk!!
evening seem a bit better i am living off ryvita,s milky coffee and snack a jacks (1 pkt a day) crunky food seems to go down well?
my diet is horrendous any ideas?
i have M.E. and i think the op and lack of food has made it worse at present any one on here have M.E.?
would love to hear from anyone who is in early stages like me or further along the road bypassers
thanks everyone hope this makes sence xx
katexx

I do sympathise - Im 3 1/2 months post bypass and struggle to eat anything as Im going through the 'no appetite at all and everything tastes wrong' stage. I had a beef stew yesterday which I almost enjoyed - make sure its soft with loads of sauce - also scrambled egg slips down without any probs. As you say, its the lack of protein that worries you. How about bolognaise sauce without the pasta or mince - lay off the snakajacks - they do nothing for you! Try some cottage cheese with the ryvita. Also, try introducing some fruit - it can be tinned in natural juices if you cant stomach fresh. Good luck!

5 weeks as yesterday that I had the sleeve op. I have had it very very easy with the food. But then I'm still not eating much at all!

I've lost 3st 12.5lbs in this time (2 weeks also pre-op diet). I generally get up, take my chewable multi-vit and then have a cuppa. I then normally forget about breakfast as I know I have to wait 30 mins before I eat after the drink. So I've normally forgot. Lunch I'll have either a slimfast shake or cheese and crackers/cracker bread. Dinner I'll have something like boil in the bag fish on jacket potato (No skin) or a microwave pasta/slim fast ocean pie! No snacks in between.

I find I have more energy now than I ever have done and just keep doing things. My house has never been so clean. I even cleaned the outside of the front door this morning as I saw it was dirty when I put the bin out.

I went for a 5 mile walk Sunday and my legs were sore but I wasn't tired, if that makes sense!

At the moment I feel terrific!

Sorry it doesn't make it any better for you but just giving my routine.

Hope this helps

Mickie

No you dont need to dress up and you can eat as many crackers as you like! I used to love baked potatoes - they taste like they have been laced with sugar now :(

I want to preface this by saying this only my opinion and it is by no means to be taken as medical advice or instead of your own health professional's advice.

Mixman & Pmkmrm, you both are not eating enough protein! 80g per day is the minimum for most! First thing is to point out that you MUST eat 3 times per day, full meals no matter what, you need the energy so make it happen, it needs to be a habit for life. Second when using protein drinks or shakes they should not replace a meal, they should be supplements to your already balanced food intake. I know it is tempting to use them as meals but it is not advisable for bypassers, in order for the pouch to work you need to be filling it with solid foods heavy in protein. The ocassional shake-as-a-meal is ok if you are on the go but don't make it a habit! Thirdly snack-a-jacks, crackers and craker breads are sources of fiber but have zero food value. Unless you are getting all your protein, veg & fruit in you should not be relying on them to 'fill you up' that goes against the logic of the pouch, you fill up on fiber and don't get enough other foods in!

Pmkmrm, protein shakes with low carbs cannot make you dump perhaps you chose the wrong one, look on the label should have >5g of sugar. Not all protein shakes taste good, you have to trial them and see which one you like. They are not all alike, some brands I like one flavour but not another. They really are worth the effort. You must increase you protein and balance out your diet or your energy will stay low and you can suffer malnutrition.

Mixman, I am happy that you are feeling well and dropping those pounds. However that doesn't mean that your diet is balance because it is clearly not. Skipping meals and eating carbs (ww pasta, jacket potatoes) as your main meals and using slimfast shakes to replace meals may harm you in the long run.

These are just my opinions and we all have them don't we? I hope I haven't offended anyone and hope that you know that it comes from good intentions. As always put your own health first and check with own your team if you are unsure.

Nic

I appreciate your input Nic. I know I can't be eating like this forever. I know I have to try and balance it a little. At the moment, it's just finding my way into foods that I can eat OK without any effects.

I like the fact that I can go and get a macaroni cheese or a spinach and ricotto pasta out of the fridge, zap it and eat about half and feel full.

The rest of the time I just don't feel hungry. Either that or I'm scared of going back to what I was before. I don't know which it is!

This morning I actually had a yogurt for breakfast as I 'remembered' to eat. Not because I was feeling hungry!

Thank you for you telling me though. I am a man and as such probably stubborn :D and do need things like this pointing out sometimes!

Thank You xxx

I am having problems with the things I eat, I am 8 weeks bypass post op and find all the naughty things like biscuits, quavers, nuts and empty food I find them easy to eat but meat and meals I find it takes about an hour to eat and not satifying at all. I just hope shortly that I will be able to eat a bit more as I have about 5 small bits and I can't manage any more but the 'other' food I seem to be able to keep going

Anez xxx

Back off Caroline Mixman is mine !Got a frilly pinny and pink feather duster all lined up...no clothes just the pinny and duster!!What a sight eh Mixie,bet you wouldnt clean your front door in that.God my husband thinks everything is self cleaning!Cant get him off the bank long enough to clean himself never mind the front door!

thanks nic
you are absolutely right i need to get my act together and sort my diet!! asap! i may pm u for advise. just wanted to say u r fantastic! so much knowledge thanks for your help xxx
kate

I am having problems with the things I eat, I am 8 weeks bypass post op and find all the naughty things like biscuits, quavers, nuts and empty food I find them easy to eat but meat and meals I find it takes about an hour to eat and not satifying at all. I just hope shortly that I will be able to eat a bit more as I have about 5 small bits and I can't manage any more but the 'other' food I seem to be able to keep going

Anez xxx

I hope you don't feel that I am out of line Anez, you can tell me if I am, but I have to ask what in the world are you doing at 8 weeks post-op eating 'naughty things like biscuits, quavers, nuts and empty food' ??? I saw that you mentioned in another post that you are not losing and I wouldn't need to guess why if you are eating junk calories. You must stop that behaviour or you will undo the weight loss tool you just committed to 8 weeks ago! You are supposed to feel full early on when eating solid foods, that is why the bypass works hun. You are working against yourself. You said that you aren't satisfied because you can eat so little, what did you think was going to happen less than 3 months post-op? You need to get your head straight and kick the junk habit. Can I help you in some way, maybe help you write up a healthy menu or something? Just let me know and I am happy to help. We all have our own personal battles, mine has been with my snacky head so I can relate. If someone here can't give you the help you need, please consider contacting your team because your window of opportunity is small and I would hate for you to miss it.

Hugs,
Nic

I hope you don't feel that I am out of line Anez, you can tell me if I am, but I have to ask what in the world are you doing at 8 weeks post-op eating 'naughty things like biscuits, quavers, nuts and empty food' ??? I saw that you mentioned in another post that you are not losing and I wouldn't need to guess why if you are eating junk calories. You must stop that behaviour or you will undo the weight loss tool you just committed to 8 weeks ago! You are supposed to feel full early on when eating solid foods, that is why the bypass works hun. You are working against yourself. You said that you aren't satisfied because you can eat so little, what did you think was going to happen less than 3 months post-op? You need to get your head straight and kick the junk habit. Can I help you in some way, maybe help you write up a healthy menu or something? Just let me know and I am happy to help. We all have our own personal battles, mine has been with my snacky head so I can relate. If someone here can't give you the help you need, please consider contacting your team because your window of opportunity is small and I would hate for you to miss it.

Hugs,
Nic

Sorry Nic but didn't realise you had replied to my message, yes you are right but when I have so much difficulty eating anything healthy, I pick at rubbish just to eat something but I assure you the rubbish I eat is only a very small portion and nothing like I used to eat. I find it difficult having healthy food cause I had a problem with food before the op and to be honest the op hasn't yet changed the problem I've got. Thank you for your kind words and it's nice to hear someone does care. I feel alone at the moment as I don't have my first follow up appointment til the end of sept. I will take on board what you have said and thanks again I'm sure I will get my head sorted.

xxx

Back