• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food shopping

Spikeyjaycee

I feel very strange when I'm out food shopping cos for so long I would automatically head for the sweets/choccies/biscuits/cakes etc and now I can't! I walk around the supermarket in a daze and feel part of me is missing! I guess everyone feels like this?

Hi Julie, shopping post op is certainly different from pre op, but for me it's all good! I used to cringe when I filled the checkout with rubbish and I would die if the checkout person made any comments, which they sometimes did. :eek:

Now I don't get embarrased at all, I do still buy a little bit of junk as my hubby and three children still have it from time to time but overall it's much healthier. I also don't feel like everyone's looking to see what the fat person is putting in her trolley anymore. :D

Cuppa xx

Hi cuppa,
Its not so much what other people thought of what I was buying......its me finding it hard not to put the crap in my trolley!! Part of me thinks...try something naughty - just to see how I am with it - but the sensible part of my brain overrides the naughty bit. At the moment I can't even eat 2 slices of toast let alone something like chocolate!

I was trying to do online shopping and really didn't know what to buy!! A lot of the food was for a visitor rather than me but I did sit there for a good hour before selecting anything!!! I'm sure it'll get easier and less weird!!!

xxxxxxxxxxx

I wonder if anyone has ever forgotten and got half way round the shop before remembering they've had a bypass? I tend to food shop in a daze so it's something I'd probably do.

In the early days post op, food shopping took me bloomin ages as I was checking the labels on everything trying to buy the low sugar/low fat versions of everything.

It does get better though.

Dont you think thats how we got fat in the first place?Chucking all the usual crap in the trolley without thought of the nutritional content.At least now the daze is the minefield of stats on the lables!

I found it hard working my way through the different stages, just as I got the hang of one, I was onto the next. Now I am finding it fascinating looking at food through new eyes, working out new recipes, trying new flavours. I am discovering new parts of supermarkets, like the world food aisles. The only pang of regret was walking past and stack of hot cross buns, I could almost taste them hot, buttery, delicious. But I know it would not be worth it.

Try doing a 'pre-shopping trip' online and check out everything before you go. Then make a list, rush in, get it, rush out. I'm sure it will get easier x

Back