• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gall Bladder

phatmomma

Hi, i am hoping to have surgery. Just wondering if the fact that i had my gall bladder removed 9 years ago going to be a bad thing or not?

Am sure someone knows the answer to this question. Thanks in advance for all responses.

It should not really be a problem. Some people opt to have it taken out during WLS (at the same time). I have had mine taken out, it was done key hole so my surgeon has said it should not be too much trouble. There is an increased risk of having to do open surgery as there may be adhesions from your previous surgery but this increased risk is very very small (you just have to know about it). Your medical team will go through all this with you and explain all the risks. I had my band done after I had my gallbladder out and they managed to do that keyhole still, and my surgeon has said that despite 2 previous surgeries i should still be ok of key hole for my bypass.

Hope that helps!!!! xx

Hi Julie, I think it would'nt make any difference but I don't know for sure. There are some minis that have had their gall bladder removed so they will be the ones to advise you correctly. Good luck and I hope it does'nt affect your surgery.

9 years should be fine! I had mine out years ago and have had a fair bit of surgery since and it has never been a problem. Your doc will let you know if it is going to present any problems. They may want to look at where you scars are if you had it key hole and if your new surgery is going to be key hole. Some surgeons like to go in over old scars and some don't. :)

if anything its better that its out seeing as you obviously had previous problems with it, the fact its out will not affect you having surgery, you may experience a bit more pain if they have to go through adhesions in order to carry out your procedure

Thanks all of you for your responses, i will see what the hospital say when i get my appointment.

I had my Gall Bladder out 9 years ago, I have been to see Mr Supers registrar and he asked if i'd had any previous operations and on any medication, i told him about the Gall Bladder operation and also that i am on no medication and he said that's fine you can come in on day case.So i really dont think that you having your gall bladder out is going to cause you any problems. X

Back