• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band and holiday

Lisav

I'm still looking around at the moment at where to have my surgery, but as I'm going private I'm hoping I'll be able to get the operation done quite quickly. My problem is I have a holiday to turkey booked for the end of July. If for example I had my operation in April, I'd have two and a half months to recover (and lose weight) before I go - but I'm stuck thinking what I could eat? Its a self catering holiday so I would be eating out a lot and it's going to be hot hot hot so I was thinking maybe I wouldn't fancy soup all the time! Question is do I wait to have the op when I'm back or just go for it and feel a little better about myself before I go? I could pack sugar free jelly and cup a soups to have in the room I suppose! Lots of salad and fruit too, but any advice? This is all hypothetical obviously as I don't even have a surgeon yet!! Thanks!!!

At 3 months in you'd eat normal foods (solids) so would be fine!! Knowing the turks I'm sure if they knew you'd had an operation they'd make you small portions as let's be honest theirs do come piled high! either that or order one meal between two and put a bit on a side plate.
the only advice is I wouldn't have a fill closer than 2 weeks before your hol as can take that time to settle down and you go back to liquid/mushy/solids over a weeks period, but other than that no reason why you couldn't enjoy their shish kebabs or gorgeous stews!!! Where you going? I do turkey twice a year and love it!!!!!! X

I'm still looking around at the moment at where to have my surgery, but as I'm going private I'm hoping I'll be able to get the operation done quite quickly. My problem is I have a holiday to turkey booked for the end of July. If for example I had my operation in April, I'd have two and a half months to recover (and lose weight) before I go - but I'm stuck thinking what I could eat? Its a self catering holiday so I would be eating out a lot and it's going to be hot hot hot so I was thinking maybe I wouldn't fancy soup all the time! Question is do I wait to have the op when I'm back or just go for it and feel a little better about myself before I go? I could pack sugar free jelly and cup a soups to have in the room I suppose! Lots of salad and fruit too, but any advice? This is all hypothetical obviously as I don't even have a surgeon yet!! Thanks!!!

Well hun i went with THG had a consultation end of Feb, then booked my op 1 week prior to surgery otherwise i think i would have backed out, i am 4 days post op and have lost 9lbs already, never lost that much before on a liquid diet, so glad i've had it done as i've been contemplating this for 2 yrs and i wish i would have had it done then, i had the gastric band is that what you want? so if you want it done have it done now and you'll be so much slimmer by the time your holiday comes, and as for eating jacket spuds, spag bol, lasagne, anything really as you'll only able to eat a small amount. i had Dr Halstead and he is such a lovely dr, also he had a good look around in my belly to make sure there's nothing untowards as he is also a cancer surgeon.
i paid £5000.00 for my surgery that include 6mth surgery cover, 2 yrs unlimited fills, and a lifetime of aftercare, the surgeon that i had also works for another provider that charges £8000.00 so i'm very happy a little sore around the port area and wind pain in the chest area but with each passing day it's getting better .
xx:)

You will be fine, lots of fruit, salads, fish etc and hopefuly one fill down to help with getting used to much smaller portions x

Yes i am sure you will be fine. We are all different, but I flew a 7 hour flight to the states about 7 weeks post op, and approximately a week after my first fill. There were no issues. I had starter size band friendly meals and the band didnt affect my holidays a bit (good idea to think about taking things like oatsosimple, cup a soups, protein drinks, protein bars as back-up just in case your band does play you up a little or there are not the right food choices available all the time). Dont let day to day life, put your decisions on hold xxx

Back