• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band - Booked in May 2016

Ladyuk62

Hi All,

So thought I'd introduce myself... I have my op booked and feeling very excited for my new way of life.

Anyone have feedback on how you feel after the surgery... Hunger... Ease of drinking as I am aware we don't get a fill until 5/6 weeks so trying to understand what it's going to be like for the first 6 weeks?

Hi there,

I'm the one who was on patient forum. I'm not keen on the side as it's public and for now I'm keeping my surgery to myself.

I had my band op on Thursday. So far I've not felt hungry but I think that's because I might still be swollen. The surgeon and nurse did warn me I would feel hungry before my first fill.

Hope this helps and good luck x x x

It's just sips with the drinking so far but that's fine and I've found ice cubes are good...a new discovery!!

Welcome to the forum. It's a really supportive group x x

I'm a new Bander also . I'm 4 days in .
Welcome to a really good friendly site , full of good advice and encouragement !
Take a peak round the diaries , I spent hours reading those and still had lots to ask ..
Don't be afraid to ask anything
Even Blossom bought up the subject of paper pants ! Rofll :)

Hey I'm dragging you along with me !

' fasten your seat belt , it's going to be a bumpy night ' ( bette davis )

I'm coming...you can't get rid of me now!!!

Although I will set up my own page instead of hijacking yours hunny!!

High jack all you like , but you get to sweep up and turn the lights off .

Hello and warm welcome newbie!

Thank you all for your kind words..

I am very excited to start my journey, I am definitely prepared to make a lifetime change. My issue is maintaining my weight. I travel a lot and stay in hotels a lot so a controlled healthy diet on the go is very difficult as my issue is that I dont eat enough throughout the day and then eat the wrong foods when I get a chance.

I have ceoliac and sometimes I can't always prep so the post op diet is perfect for me and it's prepped...packaged... and able to take to hotels and abroad for work.

Are you getting the HW surgery box? I have this and it's great x x x will hopefully save questions for me at work too x x

Yes, I went with this. It's absolutely brilliant and saves having to worry about food.

I'm not a big drinker or have too big of an issue with food anymore (regarding over eating) so I'm excited to have control of my weight loss as some weeks I exercise 4 times a week and gain weight due to my lack of eating... I think I have a fear of going back to where I once was I have a disconnect with food at the minute rather than an enjoyment.

So looking forward to being on a controlled diet.. I'm even considering stating on the diet plan afterwards as you can stay on the plan for as long as you want.

It's really easy to follow. Although I must admit I'm looking forward to a bit more choice in week 5. The protein cookies are a no no for me at the mo but I intend to have them when I'm on maitenance.
Yep well worth the extra with the 5 year guarantee. So far so good. I honestly couldn't have wished for better care at Bham Spire. Do you know which surgeon you will have?

All the best lovely x x

I agree.. it's well worth the 5 year cover. I'm not sure of my surgeons name, I'll be getting my details for the operation at the end of the month as I had to book in advance with my job so secured my date with my food package and arranging the rest later on.

Silly question and I have read a few stories but wanted advice on what you all brought to the hospital due to it being a day case etc?

Have you booked your fill yet?

Not a silly question at all.

I took my own pants as I was very anti wearing paper ones!! It was just something that really bothered me!! If it bothers you too you need ones either 100% cotton or close too!! Mine were 95% cotton. 5% lycra.

I took a dressing gown and slippers. Deodorant, tooth brush, toothpaste, deodorant and perfume. A couple of magazines and my kindle.

My app was at 1.00pm and I didn't leave till 9pm so anything that keeps your mind active.

A pillow for the way home is essential too. Put it between you and your belt to protect your wounds.

I had Paul Super and he was brilliant.

Are you going to B'ham Spire?

Oh good thinking actually... yes that would be something I would be funny with too.

Think I'll get myself a little hospital bag together nearer the time. I am going into Manchester Spire so think it will be a different surgeon but all HW are highly recommended I believe.

I'm also arranging my first fill on my op day due to my job as I travel a lot.

That's a long time in the hospital, did you have someone with you? Very good tip about the pillow, thank you for that!! X

I think what happens is that everyone arrives at a certain time e.g 12 noon and then the surgeon meets each patient and makes a list. I was third. I think I went through at 2.40pm. They have to be sure you can drink and go to the toilet for a wee. They were brilliant with me. Didn't feel any rush to go so I left only when I felt sure it was right too. Could have gone earlier though. The time seemed to go really quickly x x

My husband stayed in the room and yes you will be fine with any of the surgeons x x x

Any questions just ask x x

I'm with you... ah ok thank you so much.

I hope you are recovering well and good luck with everything, can't wait to hear about your journey! X

That's absolutely amazing... well done!!! Bet you are made up.

I know I can't wait... just hoping i have my own room and my husband can stay in the room with me whilst I recover.

Back