• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band - Booked in May 2016

Yes he will hunny. When you go into the hospital they take you into the room. Free tea and coffee for him!! None for you sadly!! He ate there too and said the food was nice.
My hubby stayed in the room. Do warn him that whist the op takes 40 mins max you are in recovery for an hour so tell him not to worry.

You walk into theatre and then they take the bed from your room and wheel you back. Just tell him not to go for a nap on your bed lol!!!

He won't be with you in the direct recovery after surgery but you will wake with a nurse beside yourself and as soon as your properly awake you go back x x x

My care was excellent and I was extremely nervous so you will be fine x x x

I was wheeled down to theatre as I conveniently forgot my slippers so wasn't allowed to walk :)
The porter was a lovely bit of young eye candy to ! Straight into see the anaesthetist , no messing about or waiting , although he joked my surgeon was finishing his take away hahaha !
Needle in , drugs in , less than 2 mins after getting on that bed I was out for the count .. Woke when the doc asked me to shift my bum !
I'm a calm person so I didn't cry or anything before , but I did find it emotional ..

Pain in recovery was intense until they got it under control so don't be scared to ask for meds .
After all they've been in your tummy with some salad forks tossing and poking about !
Mindy
Xxxx

Ha ha Mindy...I did nearly cry!! Just held it back. It was just fear of the unknown. I had morphine straight after. I would def agree on that score...ask for it!...wouldn't be as scared of being put to sleep again though. Apparently I was very quiet after for a long time too...Pete wondered if they've swapped me for a less chatty person...no such luck for him!!!

You will be great. I'm the biggest wimp in the world and without wanting to sound cocky I do feel secretly proud of myself for making such a big decision and following through with it. I swear if they'd offered me a refund before I was put to sleep I would have taken it!! But here's to the new slim people who are hiding inside of us!!!

Watch out world!!!

Thank you somuch for your help on this...

New questions pop into my head all the time and I'm so glad I have this site now.

I feel so much calmer now, more so for my hubby... he'll be worrying so glad he can wait in the room.

How did you all sleep the first night and when are you all starting to incorporate exercising? We have dogs so hoping I am not out for too long... love walking my dogs x

Hi and welcome I went to the Manchester spire it's great there's three surgeons there I've had ops with two of them mr li and prof ammori both fantastic surgeons I think from others on here healthier weight use mr li he's lovely good luck x

Obviously watch the dogs jumping at you for a while and their claws if they're on your lap
I can't walk much due to needing 2 new knees but I waddle about a lot..
Listen to your body and when it's sore stop , you don't get medals for hurting yourself afterwards ..
I cannot feel the band inside at all , the ports are sorest and annoy me . The wind and bloating is bad also and hubby says I look like a ballerina hippo trying to wiggle and contort the wind up .. Swine .. Good job I love him , he thinks he's so funny ..
I must quit wiggling naked in front of the bedroom window though , the neighbours might think I'm doing a lap dance !

I slept fine. The nurse told me to take the pain relief just before bed. I think that helped x x

I'm pottering at the mo but hoping to be doing more in the next few days x x x

Thank you all...

It's such a relief knowing I can talk to you all through this journey.

Although I'm not put off by the "horror stories" it's lovely to read the successes... honest struggles and support system for a life changing decision.

Ok so have my pre op appointment now and counting down the days to my operation...

Bring it on... very excited!!!

It will fly by !
I'm sure Blossom will agree that 2 weeks post op I feel amazing seeing as I'm probably on less than 600 calories a day .. Can't feel the band inside , just the site where the port is if I lean on it ..
Your so near now and the starting gun is about to go off for you !
Mindy
Xxx

I'm so glad you feel amazing. How are you finding hunger? Is it an issue? Also I suffer from bad migraines so water in take is concerning me as I normally get bad ones if I'm dehydrated.

I know they are silly questions but curious to know how you guys feel afterewards but without the fill (first 5 weeks)

Nothing is a silly question if you need an answer ..

I didn't struggle to drink fluids at all after the op , I managed plenty of water from the morning after the op ..
Some had a problem for a couple of days after the op but it soon passed ..
You may be ok like me , but if your not you have to force yourself to drink water .. Every 5 mins take a sip , keep a sippy top bottle of water right beside you .
If you take script meds for migraine you will need to ask your surgery to change them for dissolvable ASAP along with any other pill that might be a problem swallowing ..
Get some chewable/dissolve neurofen also from the chemist .. And a box of Windeze dissolve .. You will need these after surgery ..
I drank Complan made with milk for a couple of days after , so maybe get a box to use ? Also milked down plain soup , no lumps , tomato is my fav ..
If you have a pre op work sheet then read it and remember ..
I'm 2 weeks post op now and I have had a few times when I get hungry , but again I try to be prepared and have something ready to keep me full .. Homemade soups are great along with smoothies ..
Good luck !
Xxxxxx

Hi All
I too have my Gastric Bypass booked for in May (12th May 2016).

Currently struggling through the Liver Shrinkage Diet ... I choose to do the Slimfast Liquid only Diet as prescribed by the Dieticians at Homerton Hospital.
Choose this diet because I thought it would help to prepare me for the two/three weeks of liquids only after the operation. Good or bad idea ??.
Must admit I'm not feeling as hungry as I thought I might, but I am missing eating solids.
The only "solids" I'm allowed is Sugar free Jelly, which I really am getting bored of.

With the operation creeping up I am beginning to get a bit nervous. Not sure how bad I will be closer to the date.
But, I am looking forward to getting my life back after the operation.
I know the operation Is just the tool but I am planning to use this tool to make a real difference.
I do miss eating the foods like doner Kebabs, Chicken Burgers and KFCs. But also know that I couldn't have carried on the way I was....

I look forward to the encouragement and advice ( god knows I need it ) from you all who have already had the operation.

Good luck to all, who like me are preparing for the operation and to all post ops who are thriving for you weight goals.

Lady
Come and join us Banders in the Banders cafe on here . That way you are easier to find and you can find us if you need urgent advice :)
Mindy
Xxx

Hi Singh and welcome ! Brilliant forum and always someone who can help
Xxxxx

Hi All,

So thought I'd introduce myself... I have my op booked and feeling very excited for my new way of life.

Anyone have feedback on how you feel after the surgery... Hunger... Ease of drinking as I am aware we don't get a fill until 5/6 weeks so trying to understand what it's going to be like for the first 6 weeks?

Welcome to the site and congratulations on booking your surgery. I got banded at the beginning of Feb 2016 so I'm still early on in my journey and I have to say it is one of the best decisions I have ever made- wish I had done it earlier.

I think before the surgery, the initial stages seem so restricting and you wonder how the hell you'll manage but imop and from what a lot of other banders say too it will fly by and you'll wonder what all the stressing before hand was :)

Hi All
I too have my Gastric Bypass booked for in May (12th May 2016).

Currently struggling through the Liver Shrinkage Diet ... I choose to do the Slimfast Liquid only Diet as prescribed by the Dieticians at Homerton Hospital.
Choose this diet because I thought it would help to prepare me for the two/three weeks of liquids only after the operation. Good or bad idea ??.
Must admit I'm not feeling as hungry as I thought I might, but I am missing eating solids.
The only "solids" I'm allowed is Sugar free Jelly, which I really am getting bored of.

With the operation creeping up I am beginning to get a bit nervous. Not sure how bad I will be closer to the date.
But, I am looking forward to getting my life back after the operation.
I know the operation Is just the tool but I am planning to use this tool to make a real difference.
I do miss eating the foods like doner Kebabs, Chicken Burgers and KFCs. But also know that I couldn't have carried on the way I was....

I look forward to the encouragement and advice ( god knows I need it ) from you all who have already had the operation.

Good luck to all, who like me are preparing for the operation and to all post ops who are thriving for you weight goals.

Hi Singh welcome! Looking forward to hearing how you get on x

Back