• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band Questions...Help Please!

coralie

I was banded yesterday and now at home
and hurting...when does the 'being sat on by an elephant' feeling go away?

My tummy now feels quite 'solid'...Full of air i think? I have tried being burped by my otherhalf, to no avail! I have windeeze and gripe water, but not sure when to take these?

I was wondering? I was not told what to do with my dressings? I have dissolvable stitches? Shower/bath?....I always think of questions to ask, too late!

I have managed 2 cups of milky tea and a slimfast and lots of water. Would i be ok with yogurt...'Onken' do a natural yogurt?

Sorry for all the quizzing questions! :)

Hi Coralie

Just keep taking your pain killers and the elephant feeling will subside. I had waterproof dressings on my wounds so assuming your the same a shower will be fine.

Take it easy but keep moving around to shift all the wind, you will be burpind and farting away before you know it!

Re the yoghurt, I know it says on the list things like yop, the yogurty milk shake but not sure about proper yoghurts - might be worth double checking your sheet.

Hope you feel better soon x

hi coralie, this feeling usually goes away after the first week.

My tummy now feels quite 'solid'...Full of air i think? I have tried being burped by my otherhalf, to no avail! I have windeeze and gripe water, but not sure when to take these?

take these when ever you feel you need to but the best thing to remove trapped wind is to get up and walk as movement disperses this best, the more active you are the quicker you will get better.

I was wondering? I was not told what to do with my dressings? I have dissolvable stitches? Shower/bath?....I always think of questions to ask, too late!
have a shower as going in the bath soaks the wounds and will stop them healing. if the dressings come off then change them with sterile gloves, the dressings can be bought at most chemist or most gp's will provide more free.
I have managed 2 cups of milky tea and a slimfast and lots of water. Would i be ok with yogurt...'Onken' do a natural yogurt?

yes yoghurt will be fine as long as its lump free.

liz x

Thanks for the info.

I'm still a little confused about the stitches and plasters. Mine feel waterproof, but what will happed if the plasters come off, will my stitches still be ok?..Can you tell i am lucky enough to only have had a common cold and have no experience with hospitals!!

Mazza, i asked the doc and he says he puts in 3ml when he puts in the band, so perhaps that is why you had restriction?

I'm off to have some delicious Slimfast. :) I seem to have a new found love for it.

Thanks for the info.

I'm still a little confused about the stitches and plasters. Mine feel waterproof, but what will happed if the plasters come off, will my stitches still be ok?..Can you tell i am lucky enough to only have had a common cold and have no experience with hospitals!!

Mazza, i asked the doc and he says he puts in 3ml when he puts in the band, so perhaps that is why you had restriction?

I'm off to have some delicious Slimfast. :) I seem to have a new found love for it.

Hi Coralie

The plasters will come off eventually but they will stay on for a few days worth of showers.

Thanks for letting me know about the fill, certainly explains my restriction if I have 3mls in my 9ml band!

Be careful with yoghurt, I had one on my first day back at work (week post op) and it literally went straight through me (sorry TMI) - not nice!

Enjoy your slimfast honey - they are lovely arent they! Still buy a six pack with my weekly online shop.

Take care x

HI you will feel better soon i think we all forget how major the op is take it easy and you will bounce back when your body is ready.

Hi Coralie.. Well done you lol. Its all over now and you can concentrate on getting better.
I had porridge . Well oatmealy stuff really the next day. I went on to muller rice pretty quick and I still have them usually for breakfast. I pureed any food with a blender for the first week or two.
Hold a pillow to your tummy when you laugh or cough.. and put your pillows in a v shape and one under each arm at night.
I had waterproof dressings so there was never a problem showering.
Ring the hospital if you have any queries at all.. they really should have given you an information pack.
Good luck and keep us informed (I love reading how everyone is doing). x
PS never needed gripe water so dont worry about taking any as you may not need it. Also painkillers I didnt need them either once out of hospital.
I only get the elephant if I eat too fast or dont chew enough xx

Hi Coralie

well done on your banding :D

Windeze and gripe water didn't work for me or peppermint tea :rolleyes: but peppermint cordial helped push the wind down over :eek:....I've just started burping this last week (4 weeks post op tomorrow) not sure why it wouldn't come up, but now it happens most unexpectantly! I call them my 'Bender burps' (if you watch Futurama you'll understand :eek::eek::eek:)

hope you feel much better soon xx

Keep wound site dry and undisturbed for first 48 hrs at least.
The reasoning behind this is the wound heals better in a warm moist enviroment.Also our skins are covered in millions of bugs which is normal, however if they travel and land in a wound/ incision site they can sit there and cause the wound to detoriate.Infections etc. I would ask your practice nurse to look at the wounds after the first 48 hrs to check the healing.
Well done and good luck. (I am a trained nurse should have said earlier)

Thank you so much for your help!! What would i do without you?!

I'm feeling soooo much better today. I did some rather wierd sleep walking last night though!...Not to the fridge, thankfully! I think the codine in the pain killers was making me feel a little strange, so i am just going to use dissolvable paracetamol as and when i need it.

I tried 100ml of yogurt, thinned out with milk and it hit me like i had swallowed a stone...back to Slimfast!

Thanks again for all your help! :)

Back