• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric bypass newbie looking for advice and friends

lynn,

dont give up....... and keep on your doctor to do the refferal. dont like zenical...... didnt agree with me at all....... no diet or meds have helped me more than the gastric bypass has. even with all the pros and cons to it... i wouldnt change a thing. hope everything works out for you..... i will keep you in my prayers

theresa

hi nessa, im a believer in positive thought. i visualised myself after the op well and happy and losing weight! i didnt dwell on any of the negatives theres really no point!!! just believe all will be well and it will!!! your making a brave decision that will change ur life for the better!!! when is ur op???
Dxxx
Hiya hun

My op is on the 21st March.... it is less than a fortnight now, Im soooooooooooo exited......... 1st day of the rest of my life.......

Lv Nessa xxx

hope everything works out for you..... i will keep you in my prayers
theresa

Oh thanks so much, appreciate it. :)

The only thing with NHS route is waiting list. God knows how long it is in NI. :D

hi nessa did u mean the 21st of april??? i will be thinking purple positive thoughts for you... you'll be another one of us bypass gals saying wer glad we did it and wouldnt change a thing!!! im finding eating so much easier now even tho the amounts are a third of wot i was eating b4 at least its normal food tho my tastes have changed!!! your gonna be so happy nessa believe me!!!

lynn my original thread buddy!!!! im gonna be thinking purple thoughts for u 2!!! it would be absoloutly fantastic if u can get ur op on the nhs!!!! im rooting for u!!! now u have sum ammo fight for your rights tooth and nail!!!!

i think its fab to have so many bypass buddies on my thread!!! love and greetings to all of you!!!
Donna xxxxx

I can't put it off any longer so am going ahead. In another year or two I could have another ten stones on at the rate I'm going.:eek:

Hi nefer, thanks- are purple thoughts the same as positive ones? Cos I need lots lol. :D

Me too

Hi all

Can I join your group too please??

I have been trying for nearly 10 months now to get weight loss surgery and to cut a long story short I have been accepted and I have my initial appointment with the surgeon in 2 weeks time! (yipeee and mmmm). I know this will change my life forever, I've had weight issues since I was 4! Mum was taking me to the Dr about it at that age so now 33 years later I am finally getting some help with it.

They say that roughly 2-3 months after my appointment I will have the surgery but I am worried and keep thinking about it but this site has helped a lot already.

Has anybody any advice on what questions I should ask the surgeon for my appointment please.

Nice to 'meet' you all and I appreciate any advice.

Thanks everyone

Nic xx

Hi Nic, course you can join us, no need to ask. I thought it'd only be me and Nefer on this thread but there's loads of us now, it's fantastic. :) I too have been overweight since about 4/5 years old. I think it started when my Mum made cheese on toast one day and I asked for some, been addicted to the stuff ever since. :eek: I've always felt an outsider cos I'm fat, more so now that ever but hopefully that's in the past, or will be soon lol.

Now the questions you ask will depend on what op you're having is it a gastric bypass? I have read a lot over the 'net and books. I thought my surgeon only offered the band so was unprepared for him telling me about the bypass. He's recommended the bypass over the band and I think he is right although I was apprehensive and remain so if truth be told. There's still a part of me that clings to the hope that I could do this myself but the reality is I can't. The most weight I ever lost was 4st last year on LL (lighterlife, a meal replacement diet). I am now the heaviest I have ever been at 21st 2lbs. I'm finding that the extra 8lbs I have put on in the last 4-5 weeks has really affected me, I am finding my asthma a lot worse. :( Sorry, I seem to have rambled on a bit as per usual lol.

Hi all

I'm new to this to and awaiting my appointment with the surgeon (2 weeks today!) Seems to of taken forever to get to this stage but I'm both worried and excited but hopefully we can all help each other, I'll keep you posted.

Nic xx

Embarrassed and Ashamed but needed to post!!!!
Hi Everyone,

I am not new to Mini Mins but new to WLS I have done LL and Cambridge and failed at them all, I have since put on all and more of what I lost, same old story with every diet I try!!!!

I spoke to my GP about WLS and he referred me he was fantastic, I suffer with depression, so on 27 March 2008 I went for my pre op assessment, I was so nervous and scared, but they were lovely, I saw 4 different people, the consultant, the anesitist, diatician and the pre op nurse.... then the consultant sat and chatted with me and gave me the choice of the bypass and the sleeved procedure he explained both to me and told me to research the sleeved procedure and then just to let him now which one I wanted, and booked me in for the 15 May!!!

I am scared and the closer it gets the more nervous I get, my dreams are really vivid, my birthday is the 21 May and my Wedding Anniversary is on the 23rd and we had arranged a party for it as it is 10 years of marraige... I have said i will go ahead with it but wont be doing much dancing...LOL

My consultant didnt explain to me about the vitamin tablets!!!! can someone enlighten me on these!

I am positive about this surgery alot of people think it is to drastic and all i say is spend a day my size and then tell me it is drastic.......

I really feel this is my only chance, of being slimmer and watching my son grow up.........

Just not sure what to expect, was talking to someone the other day and they said their friend had had it and found it really hard to move about and was really sore for about 5 weeks, that panics me.....

Any support or advice would be much appreciated.

Hi
I'm new to all this too, and both excited and nervous, hopefully when I've had my appointment with the consultant and see all the staff I will feel better.

Two weeks today!

hi nessa did u mean the 21st of april??? i will be thinking purple positive thoughts for you... you'll be another one of us bypass gals saying wer glad we did it and wouldnt change a thing!!! im finding eating so much easier now even tho the amounts are a third of wot i was eating b4 at least its normal food tho my tastes have changed!!! your gonna be so happy nessa believe me!!!
Yes the 21st April hunny.....
But I am having a 2 stage procedure done because of my brittle asthma... Im having a BAND fitted on the 21st and then when I am better and on less steroids my wonderfull surgeon will then turn it into a BYPASS.... So my journey is going to be a little dragged out, but ultimately we have the same goals.
Thanks for your kindness
Lv Nessa xxx

hi new bypass buddies!!!

hi nic and mandy welcome to the bypass buddies!!!
i think having to live with the trauma of being really overweight is much more drastic than having the op!!!! but only ppl in our situation really understand that!!! i thank the universe every day that i was blessed enough to have this op, ive been big all my life but over the last 5 years or so ive been putting on a stone a year and feeling more and more awful physically and mentaly.... in mid jan this year b4 i started the pre op diet i was over 22 stone and a size 26-28 im now 17.7 size 22 and feeling great!!!:D
id tried every diet under the sun too but diets take will power over food and that was something i didnt possess!!!!:sigh:
but the bypass becomes your willpower!! i used to eat takeaways 5 nights a week, have gregs pies and pasties or sarnies 4 lunch and snack on chocolates and crisps. now i dont even like most of that stuff!!! stodgy food makes me too full and feel kinda sick, too much sugar makes me uncomfortable so i avoid them and cos they dont taste that nice anymore i dont miss them!!!
the first few weeks after the bypass are the worst cos ur only on liquids and slosh uv got a belly ache and not much energy and even tho u cant eat solids and ur not really hungry ur head still craves food, its like u go thru a mourning period, uv lost ur best buddy food.... but believe me it wears off and wen u see those pounds just dropping off it makes it all worthwhile!!!
after the bypass ur body cant absorb calories or vitamins like it used to so ul hav to take vitamins for the rest of your life. i take 2 multi vitamins 2 iron tabs and 2 calcium/D3 tabs every day.... u get used to it ;)
so i wish u both luck on your exciting journey and remember u have bypass buddies here to support u all the way and answer and questions u may have!!!:)

hi lynn!!! yes purple thoughts are extremely positive ones!!! lol... its just the way i say it.... well wadda u expect im just a crazy gal with an alien inside her!!! ha ha ha :D

hi nessa, im sending a double dose of purple positives your way!!! but the alien and i truly believe urs is gonna be a wonderfully glowing success story!!!

lotsa luv to all!!!
Donna xxxxx

Hi Guys ,can I Join You All .i Had The Band Done Last Fri.im Ok Just Struggling With The Food Demons.there Names Are Bread And Pasta.
I Have Got A Thread If You Want To Read About Me,basically Ive Been Overweight For 15 Years.i Am 6 To 7 Stone Overweight And Can Put A Stone On Easily In 2 Weeks.
I Love Food And Have Been Bulliemic As Well So Struggle Daily.
Welcome To My Worldxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

welcome everyone,
mandy... i had the bypass done 7 weeks ago today.. i have lost 3 stone and was back to work after one week.... i am a hairdresser and salon manager. i have benn going to the gym and walking like mad. i do struggle sometimes with food... as one day what i choose will be fine... try it again in a few days and it wont agree with me. i am about 10 stone overweight... and wls is not the easiest option... but niether is being overweight... i want tolive a long healthy life, i too have tried every diet under the sun, excercise, ect........ nothing worked..... wls gave me a new lease on life...... and im not looking back.... it was the best decesion i ever made... wish i would of made it 10 years ago. good luck withyour surgery...... you can have other parties later in life ........ now is your time to live and do what is best for you. all i can say is go for it..... you'll be glad you did.

hi nic and mandy welcome to the bypass buddies!!!
i think having to live with the trauma of being really overweight is much more drastic than having the op!!!! but only ppl in our situation really understand that!!! i thank the universe every day that i was blessed enough to have this op, ive been big all my life but over the last 5 years or so ive been putting on a stone a year and feeling more and more awful physically and mentaly.... in mid jan this year b4 i started the pre op diet i was over 22 stone and a size 26-28 im now 17.7 size 22 and feeling great!!!:D
id tried every diet under the sun too but diets take will power over food and that was something i didnt possess!!!!:sigh:
but the bypass becomes your willpower!! i used to eat takeaways 5 nights a week, have gregs pies and pasties or sarnies 4 lunch and snack on chocolates and crisps. now i dont even like most of that stuff!!! stodgy food makes me too full and feel kinda sick, too much sugar makes me uncomfortable so i avoid them and cos they dont taste that nice anymore i dont miss them!!!
the first few weeks after the bypass are the worst cos ur only on liquids and slosh uv got a belly ache and not much energy and even tho u cant eat solids and ur not really hungry ur head still craves food, its like u go thru a mourning period, uv lost ur best buddy food.... but believe me it wears off and wen u see those pounds just dropping off it makes it all worthwhile!!!
after the bypass ur body cant absorb calories or vitamins like it used to so ul hav to take vitamins for the rest of your life. i take 2 multi vitamins 2 iron tabs and 2 calcium/D3 tabs every day.... u get used to it ;)
so i wish u both luck on your exciting journey and remember u have bypass buddies here to support u all the way and answer and questions u may have!!!:)

hi lynn!!! yes purple thoughts are extremely positive ones!!! lol... its just the way i say it.... well wadda u expect im just a crazy gal with an alien inside her!!! ha ha ha :D

hi nessa, im sending a double dose of purple positives your way!!! but the alien and i truly believe urs is gonna be a wonderfully glowing success story!!!

lotsa luv to all!!!
Donna xxxxx

Hi

Thanks for your support I can't wait........... for my op, counting down the days!!!!!

Was goign to go and shop for a new outfit for our party, told hubby I will go even if just for an hour but have decided agaisnt buying anything new, I have got loads of nice dresses that I havent really worn, they will do!!!!!!! they are comfortable too, with a few accersories I will look Fab!!!!!!!

Was getting nervous but I have read some of the threads and I agree positive thoughts are what is needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will keep you all up to date!!!

hiya everyone,
just wanted to say that having the wls was absolutely the best thing i ever did in my life. yesterday i got in a pair of jeans i bought on sale 3 years ago...... tags still on them as i was never ever able to get them..... not even 3 days ago.. but WOW i look great if i dont say myself... even wearing my hubby's cardigans with them... got 3 from his wardrobe already... everyone saying how great i look has been such a lift to my self esteeem...... really couldnt believe my weight loss till yesterday...... now im seeing results... and loving it. if anyone is considering wls............ Go For It

such purple positive happy feelings coming from this thread its gr8 i love it, im always popping on to read the new stuff cos u all give me such a boost!!!

hello all. just wanted to say i really appreciate all the support we get on this site........ seeing others achieve what i would like to, hearing about people's struggles, and accomplishments really make a difference... even being able to read post that i have writen b4 shows me growth... and gives inspiration... thanks to you all!

Back