• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

stressed at meal times ? eat alone ?

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
i cant or very rare eat with my O/H and my son, it stresses me out to much ! when im stressed my pouch goes tight and i cant eat and bin the lot. so latley when ive ate with a agravating child at the same table ive binned my meal and waited until next meal and ate alone, strange one, do you choose to eat alone ? or can you cope with stressfull kids at the same table ? its a deffo NO NO for me.:eek:

nooo more 4 me when i do im awaiting a kick off lol.

liz x

I haven't even had an operation yet and find it stressful to eat with my 3 kids. I always manage to sit down with them while they eat but struggle to actually eat at the same time.

I always sit down and eat with my other half. But, as I havn't had my opp yet I can see this changing when I do. x

I don't have kids, so I can't really cpmment on that but as for eating alone, I do during the day as I am alone but my OH and I always sit down to a meal together in the evening.

He is a very fast eater, so is done very quickly. I used to stress out because I would sometimes eat to quickly.

Now, I have learnt my own pace and things are better.

Liz, why don't you make your dinner, keep it for a bit later but sit down with family and have a drink with them. Then once they have finished, you can sit in peace and eat to your own pace.

Oh God Liz you're worrying me now, why aren't you able to eat a proper meal???, you've had your band a good while now!

Im on my fluid only diet at the minute and meal times are an absolute no no cos I could literally eat my arm off im that hungry, just making the dinner almost kills me!!

Once im eating properly again I will definately be sitting at the table with everyone, my children are 7, 4 and 10 months and its really annoying my hubby at the minute that he's eating on his own without me and he isn't enjoying his meals cos im not with him its just him and the children, thankfully my children aren't annoying at the table which probably makes it easier

hi kate i can eat a meal just not with kids around me, as my son is a fussy eater & messes about with his meal and pushes all my kick off buttons, when i get stressed i cant eat my own food as my pouch goes tight and rejects what ever i try to put in it. so now ive chosen to eat alone and only eat with my son once a week, my O/H i can sit with its just kids i cant tollerate at meal times.

I don't have the kid problem but have to say that I rarely ate at the same time as them when they were little anyway, was always too busy cleaning up after them..lol

I do try and sit at the table with hubbie now though even if I'm just eating runny slop. I keep looking at his meals amazed that I could ever fit the amount thats on his plate in my tum.

I'm also turning into a nag, watching how many buscuits he's eating etc.

Have you tried addressing your Son's eating problems too Huni??? The more he can see it upsets you, the more he will continue to do it. You have to be stronger though and take control. If he doesnt eat it, dont make an issue of it...tell him he can wait at the table until ALL of you have finished, but there is to be no snacking in between. If he doesnt sit and eat his meals, dont give him anything else but drinks until he gets bored of missing out. You must not shout, or get angry with him as he sees this as a victory.
I have a band and can still eat with my Hubby and Daughter....I have the same size meals as her she has noticed that Mummy's plates are smaller, but I still eat with her, sometimes the same things, sometimes different.
Be patient, it will work.

xx

Hi Liz

I don't have the prob you have at meal times but do get the tightening of the band if stressed out and its not a nice feeling.
Ask him if he would let you enjoy tea times with him and if he continues this then maybe take something from him like his favourite TV programme or a computer game until he can let you eat a stress free meal with your family.

Hope u get there hun xxx

I not had the band (as liz knows) but I understand where u are coming from, I dont eat around kids full stop............as the dinner plate will end up the wall thro my temper of not being able to eat it ..........I get so irate my tummy goes into knots and tightens (without the band) and I get a build up of food and sometimes end up vomiting. So now I eat kiddie free..........I am exactly the same when I go into a cafe/restaurants.....if there is a screaming brat nearby I ask to be moved or I dont eat.................
All the best - MeJulie xx

thankyou for your replies x he doesnt mean to annoy me but does lol, i suppose im just used to eating away from him now aprt from once at the weekend, its not him thats got the problem its me haha, just wondered if anyone else felt the same way.

hi julie i hate it in the cafe as well especially when theres those plastic highchairs and they kick them constantly and scream :eek:

i must be getting old or something as my patience isnt as good as it used to be ;)

I know wot cha mean liz. It really annoys me when ppl have babies/toddlers etc and they let em bawl and they dont do nowt to shut em up..............they just sit there immune to their bawling and it pee's me off when ppl pay good money to eat food and they cant eat it in peace.............

i dont mind bratts but its the ignorant parents that do nothing to control em that fks me off, sum times ive even approached them and said cant u control your child, if mine did that then it would stop quicker than it started up ! :eek:

when they squeeling in trolley in asda/tesco where ever i go i eeekkk at em they soon shut up lol more from shock of not expecting it, the parents say ooo cheers HAHA :eek:

Last edited:
Dont come shopping in bolton then as one of my little ones is a screamer full time. Has been since she was born and still is now at 8.
to an onlooker shes a winging child, to anyone who knows her she is adorable but in constant pain and discomfort due to uncontrolled epilepsy and sensory issues assosiated with her severe autism.
better keep her at home in future.
on the eating front the more you respond to yr sons picky eating the more he will do it even if you sit with a book and a drink whilst he is eating and just tell him whan he starts moaning. if you dont like it leave it but no treats.
The one thing i promised i would never do with my son was tell him to clear his plate or eat everything befor he could have anything else. i was fat for a reason and i believe that not being allowed to leave the table before i had finished as a child had contributed to it.
carole

hi carole all children are different and have different circumstances i was just mentioning in general and didnt mean to cause any offence and i appoligise if ive upset you as that was definatley not my intention.

regarding ryans eating habbits ive found the best thing to do with him is ignore him as giving him attention regarding his food makes him worse so now i choose not to eat with him if i can help it as its better for both of us, i never ever have told him he has to finish all the food on his plate and i always say when you feel full then leave it which he does, he fully understands about banding and knows all the ins and outs of it as ive chosen to be honest with him from the start, everyone is different and thats what ive personally chosen to do with the situation for now.

liz x

HAHA DEAL DONE GAYNOR X :D

;) im lofted and smiling x ;)

happy days ! it gonna cost u more postage as i only got 1 bratt to send in the royal mail :rolleyes:

Hiya
I found this post quite interesting. I know I may sound thick, but didnt think that stress could affect the band in the way you have mentioned, but it goes a long way to explain some of the difficulties I have had with my band in the last few weeks.
Thank you so much for your comments Liz, they always turn a light bulb on in my brain (or a canary with a match:p).

On another note, and I dont want to start any arguements, but the aim of this particular thread appears to be related to stress and how it affects bands and eating etc. I for one totally agree with Liz about bratty kids in cafe's, restuarants and Tescos, they are annoying- full stop. I took no offence to it, and I have kids myself, but would not allow them to behave that way when we were out. My eldest son had Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity, and was learning/language delayed, but this was not allowed to play out in public. He was put on medication when he was 4 to control his Attention Deficit Disorder, and I can never remember a time that he misbehaved in cafe's restaurants or shops. If he did play up, it was in the privacy of our own home. He knew that if he played up when we were out, he would end up losing out on something. I must add that my son will be 29 this year and has turned out to be one of the nicest people walking this earth, everyone I know that knows him, loves him, and tell me at every opportunity what a nice person he is. I am sorry to go off on a tangent, but I must agree with others, this thread was not meant to alienate anyone, and the truth of the matter is, there are a lot of kids having kids out there these days, and they do not control them, you only have to go to Mcdonalds to see some of these young mothers on their mobiles, while totally ignoring their two year old, who is running round like a headless chicken, screaming at the top of their lungs.
No offense was meant, and I personally have learned more about my band, which all goes to helping in me being as successfull as I can.

Go Liz

MNL;)

Back