• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric sleeve post surgery problems

Had the scope last Wednesday but again there was still food in my stomach and I hadn't eaten any puréed food for a week so not looking good. Turns out I did not have a complete sleeve as my spleen was too large and so instead of my stomach being the shape of a tube I have a large portion of the fundus left at the top of my stomach. I had a swallow test last Thursday and discovered a stricture at the bottom of my stomach which had become inflamed and so swollen it was not allowing food to pass. The consultant managed to.firce. The scope through to make sure it was not a total block but with the swallow test nothing was getting through. I have been put on steroids (Dexamethasone 4mg IV) for 5 days and will be reviewed on Monday. I am only allowed clear soup and jelly for a week (have been nil by mouth for 5 days prior to that!) so don't know what I will be allowed after that, whether it will be back to purée for 4 weeks then try soft food, hope to fond out on Monday. Been allowed on home leave for 2 afternoons but have to back in hospital tonight so I can be reviewed tomorrow. I still don't think this will by resolved because once I start eating again it think food will start to build up again. If it does my consultant will try to do a stretch under a general but if all else fails it will mean a conversion to a bypass and the removal of my spleen! Will keep you updated as to my progress, however since I started my weight kiss journey I have lost 4st 7lb, I am only worried that if I have. Not had the complete sleeve this weight loss will be short lived. Any one else not had the complete Sleeve, if so I would really like to hear from them regarding there weight kiss journey.

Just been discharged from hospital tonight. Not sure how far forward I am. Still on soup for another 10 days then see my consultant again. Still gave a stricture but full sleeve was not carried out due to enlarged spleen. If conservative treatment (4mgs of Dexamethasone twice a day) does not work it may be a stretch or further surgery to remove my spleen and convert to the bypass, so I just have to wait and see how things go. When I get back onto food will be the telling time. Keep you updated. X

Goodness me l wright, this is not the journey you had planned. Whst a shock fir you. How are you feeling and do you have good support at home ?
Sending you virtual hugs and wishing you well xx

Not quite what I expected but I feel quite good in myself now and I have no regrets. I would do it again it is just unfortunate that I was one of the very few who had to have complications, I don't want my experience to put anyone off having the operation this has been a miner set back in beginning the rest if my slimmer, healthier life. Onward and upward. Thank you to everyone for your support and good wishes, it gas really helped me when I felt down. I will of course keep you updated as to my progress. Lynn ex

Hi
Hope you get better soon. Also had post op complications following a sleeve in December 2013. The barium / endoscopy showed a kink in the pouch but luckily all resolved. Don't give up until they sort it out albeit I recognise you must be tired and exhausted from not eating properly.

Hi Hope you get better soon. Also had post op complications following a sleeve in December 2013. The barium / endoscopy showed a kink in the pouch but luckily all resolved. Don't give up until they sort it out albeit I recognise you must be tired and exhausted from not eating properly.
how did your problem resolve? What has been you weight loss to date and are you still loosing? I have been told I have lost 70% of my excess weight and am frightened that this us only because I have been severely restricted with food! hope I don't put it all back on as I have still a large amount if stomach at the top although it does narrow due to the stricture at the bottom. Have a feeling I am not out of the woods yet! X

Hi,

Not the best news, but also not the worse. At least your home around family who I'm sure are supplying lots of love. Sending lots of support, keep in touch xx

how did your problem resolve? What has been you weight loss to date and are you still loosing? I have been told I have lost 70% of my excess weight and am frightened that this us only because I have been severely restricted with food! hope I don't put it all back on as I have still a large amount if stomach at the top although it does narrow due to the stricture at the bottom. Have a feeling I am not out of the woods yet! X

hi
Problem was resolved by surgeon expanding my pouch. Also have a small hernia leading to acid reflux and been prescribed lansoprazole and Metaclopramide which help. Weight seems to fluctuate and lost about 6 stones incl. pre op. Aware I need to up my exercise levels as trying to lose another stone by 5 month check up next month.

hi Problem was resolved by surgeon expanding my pouch. Also have a small hernia leading to acid reflux and been prescribed lansoprazole and Metaclopramide which help. Weight seems to fluctuate and lost about 6 stones incl. pre op. Aware I need to up my exercise levels as trying to lose another stone by 5 month check up next month.
you also seemed to have a difficult time, thankfully they are rare but many congratulations on your impressive weight loss and I am sure you will be on target for your next stone. Keep up the good work. Lynne xx

You have such a positive attitude after such a difficult start. Wishing you the best of luck on your on-going journey.

You have such a positive attitude after such a difficult start. Wishing you the best of luck on your on-going journey.
thank you, I see my consultant on Wednesday so will see what he intends to do next as my problem has not been resolved. I will let you know how it hoes. Lynne x

Sounds awful I hope you get sorted, I am currently considering having a sleeve and so unsure what to do, so scared of things going wrong :( Good luck xx

Good luck with the endoscopy, I hope all goes well and they find the reason, it all sounds horrifying, so glad im on this site, you get the true picture of what to expect, I have no date myself yet so just in the waiting room.....

I wish you well with the rest of your journey

kate x

Hi,

How did you get on on Wednesday? Hope it went ok and you got some answers x

Hi, How did you get on on Wednesday? Hope it went ok and you got some answers x
unfortunately I have to back into hospital on Monday 12th May to have my stomach stretched where the stricture is. It will be under a general and I will be in hospital for 2 days as a complication can be a rupture. If it doesn't work I may have the stretch repeated several times and if that does not work I will have to have open surgery, my spleen removed and a conversion to the gastric bypass. I am hoping the stretch works! Will keep you posted as to my progress. Still only able to eat soup, jelly and yogurt at the moment and it will be 12 weeks since my surgery next Thursday. Thanks for your good wishes xx

Goodness me, how are you holding up? It just sounds horrific, I know that's not helpful but keys not beat around the bush, it wasn't what you were expecting at the beginning of your journey, are work being ok with you? Had you told them about it?

I wish you all the very beset and strength to be brave through all of this, you seem really upbeat about it all, I'm not so sure I would be xxxx

Poor you. You have really been through the mill. I hope it gets sorted soon to relieve your discomfort. I had complications immediately post-op after a bypass. Had open surgery 2 days later to untwist my bowels which if left, could have gone gangrenous and killed me! I am now perfectly fine 14 weeks post op but the recovery has been long and slow. I developed lots of complications following 2nd surgery including paralytic ileus (not pleasant), chest infection and wound opening up due to constant vomiting. Took 10 weeks to heal. I spent a long time feeling sorry for myself and thinking I was the only one. But things do go wrong for some but you do get better. I was NHS as well and they were very thorough. I know it's no consolation but the doctors want to make you better! I am 4 stone down and would never go back. Glad I had the bypass now although, when I was ill, I was full of regret. Time is a great healer. Hoping you're soon on the road to recovery x

Goodness me, how are you holding up? It just sounds horrific, I know that's not helpful but keys not beat around the bush, it wasn't what you were expecting at the beginning of your journey, are work being ok with you? Had you told them about it? I wish you all the very beset and strength to be brave through all of this, you seem really upbeat about it all, I'm not so sure I would be xxxx
Hi Adrienne, thanks for the post. Work have been brilliant, I went back this week and have had the opportunity to finish early if I needed to. I only told some key members of staff at work but after loosing so much weight and being in hospital several times people were beginning to think I had cancer so I gave permission to a colleague to tell people. Everyone has been so supportive at work and are glad to see me back. Thank you for your good wishes. Lynne x

Back