• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Going back to work - who did you tell???

Porpo

Just been reading the going back to work posts and was thinking that some people will go back having lost quite a lot of weight.

Did you tell people at work that you were having WLS or not?? I'm thinking of keeping it to myself but realistically will they guess anyway??
x

I told my Manager and that's it. If anyone comments on me losing weight, I will just say I had to go on a liquid diet for 3 weeks for minor surgery, and because I've lost some weight, I'm going to carry on myself :)

xxx

My lot came to visit in hospital! Told them from the off. You could always say you have finally found a diet that works for you - not a lie!

I told everyone cause I well excited lol and if people didnt like it that was tuff lol

I am not telling anyone, im just about to start my final year of uni so i dont see it being a MAJOR problem. I've told my parents cause i need their support. And im hopefully going to get interviews for teaching around christmas so i will be telling them so they dont refuse me for my weight (the whoel fit to teach thing).

You dont have to tell anyone you dont want to about your surgery, you can just say you are on a really strict diet with the hospital that will explain it to most, its entirely your decision.
Good luck back at work

Jay xx

I've told a few people that i was thinking about going for weight loss surgery, but as soon as i mentioned it i began to backtrack and wish i hadn't. Not sure why really x

I think the fear of people's reactions will affect who I tell!! I may tell my boss. Still haven't decided!! I guess I still have a while to go so have time to decide!!

I'v told every one i know and a few i don't know, and they are all supportive. I have not told them it's on the nhs though, i don't want them to think i'm a scrounger.

i still feel a bit sheepish/embarassed about my plans to have a bypass so i have only confided in people i am confident will be supportive so far. I work in a really good team of predominantly women, most of whom are working hard at their own weight loss issues but i have asked them not to tell other people in our department. I don't feel as if i have to be open about anything as its my private business but i don't want to have to lie to people, particularly those i like and respect when (and if !) i lose the weight so i'm not sure how i'll react post op when the questions start.

I have not told them it's on the nhs though, i don't want them to think I'm a scrounger.

I am not sure why you would think that way Sue :confused: I was offered WLS by my GP as a way of saving two things. My life which is a good thing, and the NHS tens of thousands of pounds.

The ongoing cost of treating someone who is morbidly obese with comorbidities far outstrips the cost of WLS even with the aftercare.

I also guess you have worked and paid your taxes and stamp all your working life, so you will have more than paid for your operation with your contributions. I pay over 12 thousand pounds a year in tax and National Insurance so no way do I feel like a scrounger and neither should you. Just saying like.......

How do those who have paid for surgery feel about those who have been done on the NHS?

Now who did I tell? pre op very very few people. I told my boss, well he would need to know where I was for a couple of weeks :D my daughter, and two girls who used to work for me who I trusted and love and would never have forgiven me if I'd not made it off the table without saying goodbye.

Post op I tell everyone. With WLS so prevalent in the media these days, anyone who thinks people wont guess they've had WLS when they suddenly after years of obesity, lose half their body weight is kidding themselves :D

I have to say everyone has been really supportive, and I'm glad I've given them the opportunity to be honest with me and me with them.

You must take the approach that you feel most comfortable with, but never feel that you have taken the easy way out by having WLS. As we all know this is hardest thing most of us will ever do.

I was open with everyone and so glad i was. One friend said the other week god could you imagine if you hadn't told anyone with the rate you lost at people would of thought you were dying.

I haven come accross any negativity in fact pre op some really close friends ralied round making soups for me and froze them in ice cube size portions. Others have had a sort out of their wardrobes and donated their cast off and saved me hundreds along the way with the promise that as i passed them downsizing i would pass my castoff on to them. One friend has her name on an outfit i bought a few months ago and its nearly on its way to her.

Work wise again i was open with everyone and when i turned up at a training 5 days post op people thought i was teasing them that i had had it done until i flashed my plasters.

Everywhere i go be it the office, the local shop, the gym, out with friends etc. people constantly comment on the ever changing me even atthis stage of my journey and the weight loss slowing others see what i dont on a daily basis.

I suppose it also depends on how much you have to loose as to how drastic it appears to others but with 12 to loose i couldnt of done anything other than speak up.

each to their own but i like karlos and others am extreemly proud of myself for taking action to have a happy healthy life.

I am not sure why you would think that way Sue :confused: I was offered WLS by my GP as a way of saving two things. My life which is a good thing, and the NHS tens of thousands of pounds.

The ongoing cost of treating someone who is morbidly obese with comorbidities far outstrips the cost of WLS even with the aftercare.

I also guess you have worked and paid your taxes and stamp all your working life, so you will have more than paid for your operation with your contributions. I pay over 12 thousand pounds a year in tax and National Insurance so no way do I feel like a scrounger and neither should you. Just saying like.......

THANKS KARLOS, YES YOUR RIGHT, I HAVE WORKED ALL MY LIFE (40 YEARS) (TOOK ABOUT TWO YEARS OFF TO HAVE THE KIDS). IN FACT I HAVE TWO JOBS AT THE MOMENT, ONE FULL TIME IN A LEATHER FACTORY, AND PART TIME I MAKE THEATRICAL COSTUMES. SO YES I THINK I HAVE PAID MY WAY.

THANKS KARLOS, YES YOUR RIGHT, I HAVE WORKED ALL MY LIFE (40 YEARS) (TOOK ABOUT TWO YEARS OFF TO HAVE THE KIDS). IN FACT I HAVE TWO JOBS AT THE MOMENT, ONE FULL TIME IN A LEATHER FACTORY, AND PART TIME I MAKE THEATRICAL COSTUMES. SO YES I THINK I HAVE PAID MY WAY.

Told you dint I more than Sue more than xxx

Yes i wish i could of got my surgery on the N.H.S.
I have never had any treatment /care from N.H.S and have worked for all my adult life since 16 taking 6 weeks mat leave for my child in the 70s thats all we got.

I would not meet the criteria but i am helping my sister who is in very poor health and has no spare cash due to ill health and she has worked for 20 years before she got all kinds of health problems.

Work ethics and low self esteem would make me think like Sue. Its that part of me that thinks i am not worth/desrving of it.

Got a lot of work to do on me . Mia

I mean i am helping my sister apply via g.p for WLS. Mia

yes i wish i could of got my surgery on the n.h.s.
I have never had any treatment /care from n.h.s and have worked for all my adult life since 16 taking 6 weeks mat leave for my child in the 70s thats all we got.

I would not meet the criteria but i am helping my sister who is in very poor health and has no spare cash due to ill health and she has worked for 20 years before she got all kinds of health problems.

Work ethics and low self esteem would make me think like sue. Its that part of me that thinks i am not worth/desrving of it.

Got a lot of work to do on me . Mia

that's kind of you mia.
That's how i started. I took my daughter to gp to ask about wls for her, and he put both of us up for funding and we both got it.

Back