• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What did you tell your work?

Banderbird

I'm sure this has been discussed many times before, but I couldn't find much on a search - sorry!

I don't want anyone at work to know about my WLS, so I was wondering what plausible minor surgery I could say I was having.

If you didn't tell your workplace, what did you say?

For the moment I'm only telling my immediate family and very close friends.

I didn't tell them anything. I booked a fortnight's holidays, and every time I need a fill I'll book half a day off. As far as I'm concerned it's none of their business!

I too am wondering this, I have to book holidays 3 months in advance so can't use that option, I have never spoke to my boss or any of my 300+ workmates apart from msn (I work online) I wondered what my "sick note" will say

I just said I was having surgery. No-one asked what.

I too am wondering this, I have to book holidays 3 months in advance so can't use that option, I have never spoke to my boss or any of my 300+ workmates apart from msn (I work online) I wondered what my "sick note" will say

Mine said abdominal surgery.

I told them the truth, I had 8 weeks off as had open surgery an my sick note said abdominal surgery.

I told my bosses boss what I was having and asked her not to tell anyone and told her I was telling everyone else I was having "lady surgery". the men dont want to know and other woman just ask if you ok. My sick note did say gastric bypass so it was a good job I told her. I suppose if I asked the GP he could have put just "surgery" but I didn't think about it at the time. I had 9 weeks off, it seems to me they don't appreciate if you rush back before you're ready so I didn't. (-;}

I told my work the truth and although they turned out not to be a great place to work for, at the time they were very supportive but I understand if you don't want to tell them that. You can ask for you sick note to say gastric surgery rather than band. It is completely ok to do that.

Did you all have a long time off? My work are really supportive but wonder how long i'd be off for? Im having a gastric bypass!

I had 8 weeks off because I had a very physical job, if you sit at a desk, 2 weeks should be enough, if you can get 3 you will feel more like your self after 3 but you will cope with 2 :) xx

I had 8 weeks as had open bypass. I think it took 6 weeks to feel 'normal' again, I was so tired in the first few weeks. My work were really supportive, I told a few people I was having the op but think some people must of gossiped while I was off as a lot more people than I told knew when I got back and one lady even said she was gutted for me that I was still big an the surgery hasn't worked. I was 28 stone pre-op I was never going to be a size 8 after 8 weeks. Silly woman

I had 8 weeks as had open bypass. I think it took 6 weeks to feel 'normal' again, I was so tired in the first few weeks. My work were really supportive, I told a few people I was having the op but think some people must of gossiped while I was off as a lot more people than I told knew when I got back and one lady even said she was gutted for me that I was still big an the surgery hasn't worked. I was 28 stone pre-op I was never going to be a size 8 after 8 weeks. Silly woman

Oh my word! That sounds just like my boss, shows the ignorance to wls though.

I told my boss whilst she was supportive, she has no clue and has said my 3 stone in 4 months is a shame its so very slow lol!!!

My sick note said abdominal surgery, but I only took 3 days off.

That made me chuckle what did she think they were going to do? Cut you in half lol

I told my employer I was having my hiatus hernia repaired, which was done at the same time so I didn't lie. My GP wrote laparoscopic surgery on my sick note as I forgot to collect the sick note from Dolan Park when I left at 07.00!!
I have still only told 5 people and no-one from work.
I just book my band fills around my shifts.

one of the benefits of being self employed is I only need to tell myself (must remember to raise it at my team meeting lol) ... the downside is I am a candle maker and do a lot of shows so I need to try to time the surgery around my work, if I don't make and sell then the kids will have to be put in the cage with the guinea pig and live on hay and carrots for a while.....

Oh my word! That sounds just like my boss, shows the ignorance to wls though.

I told my boss whilst she was supportive, she has no clue and has said my 3 stone in 4 months is a shame its so very slow lol!!!

My sick note said abdominal surgery, but I only took 3 days off.

I just avoid all conversations about it now. If people ask how I'm getting on I just say I haven't been weighed for a while.

I can't be bothered explaining myself when they are so ignorant.

Back