• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What did you tell your work?

That made me chuckle what did she think they were going to do? Cut you in half lol

I didn't chuckle at the time, I wanted to slap the patronising look right off her face.

She's another one I just avoid talking to about the surgery now. I wouldn't mind but she could do with shifting a few pounds herself!

I didn't chuckle at the time, I wanted to slap the patronising look right off her face.

She's another one I just avoid talking to about the surgery now. I wouldn't mind but she could do with shifting a few pounds herself!

Usually those are the worse, I think they like to put others down in order to make themselves feel better

I told my manager at work and asked her to keep it to herself which she has done. I am glad I did because I have had so many probs and I have needed a lot of time off. I know I can trust her and she is very supportive

I've had a gastric balloon rather than surgery (but you still need at least 10 days to recover from that as you do nothing but vomit 24/7 and can't even keep fluids down initially) and I simply asked my gp to put something more generic on my sick note rather than spelling out exactly what I had down. She was fine with that, no problem at all. Just ask them to put "post-surgery recovery", "laproscopic surgery", "abdominal surgery" or something similar.

I'm not telling work what I'm having done, i just wondered if anyone had a plausible idea for what I could tell them I'm having done that would warrant a week off.

I can't just say 'abdominal surgery' because that won't avoid the gossip. They won't even ask for a sick note, so that doesn't matter.

For those who've been able to tell their colleagues, that's great .. But I'm not going to.

Hiatus hernia is one possible idea.

The weight loss is easily explainable as a diet; as it's a band I'm not expecting the weight to fall off and I doubt anyone will notice for a while.

Appendix or gallbladder op? X

I told my boss, and she hasn't said a word thankfully! But everyone else, including most of my friends and family think I've had a hernia removed!! My friends husband had his hernia removed a week after I had my sleeve and the comparisons are quite scary! Lol! Scars in same place, had to eat mush for 8 weeks, burps all the time, still can't eat really big portions! So that's worked really well for me hahahahahaha! Xx

I told my boss and got a referral to OH. this meant my time off post op (4 weeks) didn't count towards a disciplinary trigger point because the surgery was to treat my T2.

I also have a colleague who had a Nissen Fundoplicaton for a hiatus hernia repair a month before i had my band and his scars and recovery were exactly like mine including the diet and weight loss. Go with the hiatus hernia it's common enough.

I too am wondering this, I have to book holidays 3 months in advance so can't use that option, I have never spoke to my boss or any of my 300+ workmates apart from msn (I work online) I wondered what my "sick note" will say

o_O you have perked my interest I love the idea of working from home what do you do?

jo

o_O you have perked my interest I love the idea of working from home what do you do?

jo

Online gambling bingo/poker etc :)

The pay is ok (my friend gets the same pay working in a local shop), I pretty much chosen the hours that suit me (its a 24/7 operation) it is a sitting on your bum job so doesn't help with weight loss :D

I am there to help folks and to make sure rules are upheld ie no swearing no spamming etc. All you need is a decent pc/lappy and an internet connection and anyone can do it.

The pay is ok (my friend gets the same pay working in a local shop), I pretty much chosen the hours that suit me (its a 24/7 operation) it is a sitting on your bum job so doesn't help with weight loss :D

I am there to help folks and to make sure rules are upheld ie no swearing no spamming etc. All you need is a decent pc/lappy and an internet connection and anyone can do it.

Sent you a IM hope you do not mind

I'm a manager of a nursing home didn't want everyone knowing - told my regional manager and my admin but everyone else just thought I was having 2 weeks leave. I took 3 weeks off in the end my boss was really supportive having that extra week off I felt more like ME going back to work.

Only thing is I'm now lying on a pretty much daily basis when staff asking me how I'm losing weight and can I get them a copy of diet!

I told my line manager what I was going to do and it was kept discreetly between my line manager/dept manager and H R team.. Until I hit the probs I had and my parents allowed the release of the information. From an employer point of view they supported me before, during the messy aftermath and still try now. There are the haters in every work place however I'm glad I told my employer. Without them bending over backwards and pulling the stops when I was on life support I'd have lost my home and everything. I was told pre op I'd be off work for upto 4 weeks, I was hospitalised for 5 months and returned to work with drains and feeding tubes. Quite a shock to everyone particularly with what had happened but I'm getting support from the people there where its needed. They understand why I sometime dump, etc.. From a health and safety point of view they've looked up on how they can help me if I needed it and something made me very ill at work

What is the average length of time people usually take off after having by-pass surgery? I haven't told anyone about my operation plans except my immediate family. I don't want anyone else to know. I already feel like a failure that I have been unable to take control of my weight without people judging my discussion for surgery.

What is the average length of time people usually take off after having by-pass surgery? I haven't told anyone about my operation plans except my immediate family. I don't want anyone else to know. I already feel like a failure that I have been unable to take control of my weight without people judging my discussion for surgery.

It all depends what you do as a job really. I've got quite a physically active, heavy patient handling job. My boss would not let me back until I was 3 months post op. I was on light duties for 2 months after I went back, as advised by occupational health.

Well, I've told work I'm having 'stomach surgery'. It's not a lie, and I've booked off a total of 8 days (Tues to the following Weds). TBH I've worked there for 25 years, have never taken maternity leave (and will never) so I think they can allow me this. I don't take much sick leave.

Back