• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What did you tell your work?

I told my line manager it was for gastric banding. As it is elective i am not immediately entitled to the sick leave and it's the discretion of the manager whether they allow me sick leave or not. (I don't particularly agree with this as I believe I would have been dead in 10 years if I hadnt had the surgery, wouldnt have been a good worker then, but hey!).

Luckily there was no issue with me getting the sick leave. Especially since the port site wound has broken down slightly and I am now on a further two weeks sick leave with strict rest (and boredom).

I told my line manager but to everybody else I only said abdominal surgery. I'm a midwife on a busy labour suite and had 5 weeks off sick leave and came back on light duties for first month

I told my manager and senior manager the truth 3 months ago when I made the decision to go ahead with the bypass.

Today I had a meeting with my manager and have been advised they will be withholding the occupational sick pay element of my salary as the surgery is elective. Very disappointed. (Surgery in 10 days time ) Have decided to challenge this for several reasons, the primary one being I'm not having cosmetic surgery, I honestly believe I'm extending with life and improving the quality of it.

Has anyone had a similar experience ? Or can offer any advice ? Many thanks.

I have taken annual leave and used some flexi time which will give me 3 weeks off in total after my gastric bypass, my surgeon said this should be fine, so fingers crossed, I really do not want to tell work colleagues as I don't want any negative comments,I'll tell the the truth after the op if they ask how I'm loosing weight

I'm not telling work anything, I'm taking 2 weeks holiday and using some flexi time to give me a total of 3 weeks off after my gastric bypass, my surgeon says this should be fine so I hope it goes well!

hi, I have only told my sister and my manager and team leader at my place of work reason been I don't want everyone watching me ,putting me under a spotlight I have in my mind made a life changing plan and have lost some weight pre op and is happy to have done so but the meer idea of been watched is too much. I plan to tell the family then everyone else fingers x just weeks before the operation not to stop all the questions as I feel I would be supported in my life plan but to stop the "when`s it happening ?" questions and the added pressure I think I will put on myself.

I've had the same problems with my company, I went back to work 6 days after op, by day 9 I was in a bad way with severe constipation so had a sick note for the following week as I had torn my back passage(sorry if tmi) but they refused to pay company sick and wanted me to take the week as hol! Acas advised me and I was given the week as ssp, apparently if its company sick pay they can choose the rules for paying it

Hi was the issue with your back passage from the surgery and what type of surgary did you have? cheers

I told my line manager but to everybody else I only said abdominal surgery. I'm a midwife on a busy labour suite and had 5 weeks off sick leave and came back on light duties for first month

I'm a midwife too, I've just booked 3 weeks off with annual leave,don't want work to know what I'm having done, so just hoping not too bad when I go back.

that hardest part I found at week 3 was that you can still not eat
my daily consumption consisted of bits of joghurts and soups etc probably totalling of 300-400 kcals in the day so I was lethargic all the time and certainly could not have gone back to delivery suit at that stage. but everybody recovers differently and it's amazing what you can cope with when you have no choice. best of luck to you x

Yes, I'm a bit concerned that I will have a few days at work while I'm still on the liquid stage.

I did tell people I'm going to do the Slim Fast diet 'soon' though, so hopefully I won't get too many comments and won't feel too tired.

I told my work of what will be happening (fingers crossed) next year. They said the op would be sick leave. I guess I'm lucky I work for a great company. I was worried t hat they would say it was a choice surgery and not covered, but I was wrong.

Hi slimby50, if I was being operated upon under the NHS, there wouldn't be a problem. It's because I'm unwilling to wait until I'm heavier/or become ill and going privately they are withholding my occupational sick pay. So disappointed :(

I am sorry. I hope everything works out for you.x

Thanks slimby50, it's just so frustrating how short sighted they are being. Will still fight it, hopefully I'll have an opportunity to have my say next week.

Fingers crossed for u. They say that obesity is an illness. I will b thinking of u.

Hi lippyloirston and allrico, I had a band and the problem was I became constipated as I just couldn't drink enough as it was filling me up, and I wasn't getting any fibre with not having my usual veg and fruit. Apparently I strained so much I tore myself, but I am all ok now.

Back