• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Good exercise after surgery

elizaxx

does anyone have any recommendations for a good exercise routine to follow when I'm healed up after surgery? something that is fun, and good for beginners :)

erinangel

I'm gonna try doing the cross trainer as good for arms and legs and maybe some light weights to help tone up. I will probably only manage once a week when I'm back at work but I'm really hoping working 45/50 hour weeks in a busy kitchen will help.

erinangel

Yes tried that for a few weeks before operation its was much harder than I thought it would be a proper came out tired :D

los in it

I too do Zumba and go to my local gym at least 3times a week, I use the exercise bike for 20 minutes, the cross trainer for around 10 minutes ( want to build that up) then the treadmill for 35 minutes, as that is my walking time into work I've also got myself a smart band that links to my mobile which tracks my walking and sleeping and other stuff during the day so maybe think about investing in something like that doesn't have to be pricey mine was around£20 on amazon

los in it

I try to do the minimum of 10thousand steps a day then on top the gym stuff having the smart band really helps me to reach daily goals if I'm under the steps then I have a stroll to the shops to make up before you know it your walking more without thinking!

Last edited:

Sunshine99

FitBit is great! Best fitness gadget ive ever bought. (Had mine 2 months now)
Toni :rainbow:

puddytats

I couldn't get my fitbit (2 of them) to work with my mobile and I didn't want it to pare with the computer as my phone is more useful. I gave up in the end but when I eventually decide which phone I want, I may try again.

Up until 18 months ago I used to dance (jazz and musical theatre). I want to go back when healed and possibly take up ballet too. I also want to negotiate with work to start 30 mins later one day per week so I can get to the early morning swim - my local pool opens at 7am and it's too tight to get into work on the 8.10 bus!

Sunshine99

@puddytats , My friend linked my FitbitHR up to my I-pad for me (i would never have worked it out on my own). Wow, dance & ballet...sounds like hard work..but fun. I like watching street dance, but i could never do dancing. I actually prefare to watch backing dancers...to hearing and watching a singer perform. I was a fan of Diversity for a bit..lol.
Yeah, i want to go early morning lane swimming again. But, would prefare to get another stone off first.
You'll get them ballet shoes on before you know it!
Toni :rainbow:

puddytats

I've never done ballet - jazz and musical theatre (one class) was enough, plus the beginners ballet was straight after J&MT, and it was asking my body too much to do both. It was hard enough driving home and showering, never mind another class, especially after songs like "Me Ole Bamboo" from Chitty - it's so fast! I didn't dance as a kid - I did gymnastics, but have had NO thoughts of going back to that! The dance school are doing another show in October, but i think it's pushing it for me to go back for the show, they're already practicing. I won't be able to dance for a good few weeks yet - that leaves a little of August and Sept, plus in the middle of that, I'm away on holiday for 2 weeks, so I don't think I'll make the show this time.

I daren't swim at the moment, I'm expecting pain and I think 10 days post surgery is asking a bit much!

My fitbit I could not link to my Samsung Galaxy S4. I had 2 different fitbits and asked one of the tech guys in carphone warehouse, Amazon and Fitbit themselves, with no joy. I am due an upgrade - holding on until I find a good deal, as there is a new Samsung due out, and the prices of 'older phones' will fall again. I'd like an S7 - they're just too expensive!

FeeBee

I do mostly walking too and the occasional bit of cleaning.
I read this earlier then went out for a walk, got home and realised my Fitbit had fallen off at some point. The band has been popping open recently but I'm gutted :( then an amazing friend offered me a replacement! It was out of warranty but I washed my first one by accident, contacted them and they replaced it for free which is partly why I'm such a fan :)

los in it

I also walk, try to do 10000 steps or more each day and visit the gym going to restart the Zumba ( tutor gone will try new tutor at new venue) as I miss the group routines!

Hannah2

I am wondering how I am going to get on with exercise after my op - struggling after my knee arthroscopy and not meant to be going for walks yet! Tried swimming this week and breast stroke was a big no! So I ended up sort of cycling with my legs - felt good but overdid it so struggled for a few days. Will have to take it as it comes and listen to what my knee will let me do!

Lynneslims

I had a knee arthroscopy in January. After 3 weeks I was encouraged to walk as much as I was able to do - which wasn't much. Had lots of physio which only stopped because of my sleeve op. Also they gave me weekly hydrotherapy class specifically for people with bad knees. This helped but I was in agony for the rest of the day after the class. I'm a keen swimmer and the physio said I cannot do breast stroke legs at all. So I do breast stroke arms and crawl legs. It's tricky but works. Even better is to find an aquafit class in the deep end. You wear a flotation belt so you won't sink but it's zero impact. You can work your knee really well and after a couple of weeks you'll see a difference.

My knee op isn't a success and I will need a new knee however we are hoping that this can be delayed with weightloss. After the sleeve op the knee became worse and I'm now 10 weeks out and it is only now that I can see an improvement- prob because 3 stone down. So initially I was slow to get down to exercise as the dr recommended walking which was one thing I couldn't do. It was 6 weeks before I was allowed back to aquafit deep end. But walked to dogs yesterday at a good pace for 30 mins without a sit down. A few weeks ago the walk would've been punctuated with many stops.

Knees are shocking but the wls will help loads - after a few weeks.