• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Got pre op Date. Nerves are here!

South Beach

Nerves have come crashing down today!

Hi all,
I had the OGD check today at Sunderland Hospital. All went well. I am now on the 6months or less list for the Gastric Bypass due to previous health problems if there is too much internal scars they said the will perform the gastric sleeve.

I am now sitting here asking myself am I sure? Its the list of complications that can occur that is freaking me out.

My husband is very supportive and took time off work to go with me today. He also went to the seminar back in January.

I really would like feed back on what to expect after the operation.

I was so lucky, i was back on the ward within an hour of coming round, NO PAIN AT ALL! and I am allergic to morphine so that was my main worry! I had a costa coffee an hour after that, and was up walking to the loo and up and down the corridor straight away after my coffee. To be honest I could happily have gone home the next morning. I went to see my friend on a different ward in the evening and watched all the saturday night tv ( Strictly, x-factor and i'm a celeb!!) with her. My recover was trouble free, I was able to walk to the shops ( half a mile away) within a few days, no problems sleeping, a bit tired though and had a nap every afternnon. and now a year later I am virtually at target with a BMI if 24!

Hi South beach do not worry it is not pain so much as alittle discomfort it is difficult turning over in bed but apart from that its only the wind pain which everyone gets a degree of that can be painful but they do give you peppermint caps and painkillers if you want them. I was back on ward at srh by 12.30ish by 2 I rang n spoke to al those whon were worrying bout me had nutha sleep and by 3.30 was at toilet got gown off and jim jams on, toilet on my own with drip stand for company, able to greet my night visitors at the door of my little room. I never looked back the next day was Sunday and I had a walk out side with my visitors we sat in the sun it was lovely thye all had coffee n hot chocolate I had water. but hey i was free and op over, I left that hospital so damn proud of myself was 10 feet tall it was along journey home and I felt shaken when I got home took off my clothes and hubby helped me get a shower clean night clothes on and I slept on the couch ready for the visitors. I walked a little each day and a bit further but made sure I ahd a nap on afternoon was exhausted went back to work after 2 weeks, was amazing really the wounds healed up really well. Don't worry bout it just get through it honestly I would recomend it to anyone. Its amazing how goo it is to have it doen keyhole, its worth doing the milk n yoghurt diet to shrink your liver. xx

Thank you for your reply. I am feeling calmer now than I have all day. I am new to this club and not sure if I am replying to the correct box!

You ARE very welcome, any time. Just stay calm the results are good if you work with it. x We have all had the doubts creep in somewhere a long the line its only natural as it is a life changing decision. xx

South Beach said:
Thank you for your reply. I am feeling calmer now than I have all day. I am new to this club and not sure if I am replying to the correct box!

Hi x

I've just had op at jesmond not far from you. I had the band fitted yesterday. I know it's not the same op as you are having but remember your surgeon knows what he's doing and carries out these operations all the time. I had my op at 8.45am and home at 6.30. I had a shower in hospital and a bit discomfort but more like wind. I had ovarian cancer a year ago and had a total hysterectomy - trust me the pain yesterday was A WALK IN THE PARK compared to that ? I had my liquid paracetamol (calpol) 2 x yesterday and 1 liquid codeine and 3 peppermint teas.
I even did a little ironing when I came home x
I think the seminars are there to tell you everything no warts and all but also it's a life changing op you are having. If your worried speak to ur surgeon again. You will feel amazing when you have had it done. X x xx x x

Got the letter. Pre op is next week and Gastric bypass date is 21st May 2013.

The nerves have kicked in. To be honest I am freaking out!

I start the milk pre op diet on the 6th May. Husband is being very supportive. I do not think he gets the nerves I am feeling though.

I am worried about the possible complications.

Please could anyone let me know how long are you in hospital and any tips for once we get home?

Thanks

Hi Kat, can't offer you any advice because I'm pre op but I'm the same as you - worrying about complications! But on the flip side I'm excited about a new beginning :)

How long you are in the hospital depends on how well the surgery went and how well you recover! Some people are out after a night or two - I was in for four nights. Private patients only usually get a couple of nights I think with their package but they can pay for extra.

Not sure if I have any tips for when you get home really and you have a supportive husband there to get you bits and bobs as and when you need them. The things I would say to have in would be your multivitamins, no added sugar squash and ice pops, milk and some thin soups. I'm sure others will be able to add to this!

We all worry about complications and it's a risk we take when having the surgery. Fortunately, they are not very common.

Hope that helps a little bit :) Good luck with your pre-op diet x x

Hi I thought I had replied but not sure where the page has gone! Still a bit of a newbie.
good luck hon with your op too. I will try and keep updates on what happens.

Hey south beach, I was told that you can use crusha on the milk diet. But you can also use it for ice lollies. just thought I would share, because I think we might end up getting a bit sick of milk by the time the 2 weeks is up x

Hey Caraline,
I did not know that we could use crusha.. Cor blimey not thought of that brand in decades! Lol since i was a wee one. Hehe. I re read the milk diet book they gave us and realised that we can have Mugs of tea still. SO not in such a panic on the pre diet. I can get very mardy with out my mug of tea! I think it is an addiction to tea. I may use up a third of my milk allowance in tea! I am eating the muller yogurts toffee flavour for breakfast and lunch at the mo as I realised It said fruit or natural for the pre op! Even snuck one in the hubby's packed lunch.
Hows the nerves today?
Kat

haha, My nerves are starting to settle down a bit at the moment. just trying to keep myself busy. I even attempted going swimming with my lasses yesterday. stood on my scales this morning and put 2lb on :( I think all the exercise yesterday has turned to muscle. I didn't realise that we could have tea. I better get that booklet opened. I'm a coffee person myself, but has long has its hot I will be OK. I wish Wednesday would hurry up though, I hope to god we pass the pre opp.

Hey ya Caraline,
aw the 2lb could be just fluid. It may be gone by tomorrow. You can have coffee on the milk diet too!
It says water, TEA, (honest in caps I am sure.) coffee, and low calorie drinks or squashes are allowed freely with sweeteners are allowed too.
ooh sugar free jelly is also allowed. yum.
I am just not sure if the milk is separate to the tea or coffee or do we use it from the 2-3 pints a day in our tea.. or coffee? I will ask on Wednesday. Must admit same hope to god we pass the pre op too. Off to do the rhythm rocker tape again! Go arms. burn me some cals.. ;)
I am feeling excited today about the procedure. Nerves are a bit better too. Also the home made veg soup can we use just chicken stock cube and garlic and ginger in it too, to help mask the carrots? Its how I normally make veg soup. parsnips, carrots, swede, onions or leeks. Normally lentils but i know they are not allowed on pre op.
Have you got a veg soup receipe?

Last edited:
You can have tea and coffee on the pre op, as long as you don't add sugar. You can also drink sugar free squash and diet fizzy drinks. Good luck both of you :)

You can have tea and coffee on the pre op, as long as you don't add sugar. You can also drink sugar free squash and diet fizzy drinks. Good luck both of you :)

Hiya
I started milk diet yesterday- my op is next Saturday.
As you can see, here is a list of all allowed items and fizzy drinks is definitely not allowed on here! But, all providers are different and I think it depends on the procedure. Also, depending on when people had surgery, guidelines could or world have changed so I would check re fizzy!

On day 2 and can say I'm not finding it hard at all- but I'm not at day 3 yet lol!!

Bex xx

Attachments

• image-4079582688.jpg
    image-4079582688.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 40
ooh just read, you can't use crusha, and I have just bought some. Liz from the Sunderland site said you could use that. I think I better check that up.

Hey South Beach, I can't even cook. I keep looking for the odd recipes on here. But your soup sounds lush. lol x

Back