• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Guy here

james192

Hi everyone, i have just come back from my GP and have been refered :)

I have always had a problem with my weight, I saw some people when I was about 10 in Manchester about it.
I had always been overweight, at 15 I was 15.5 stone but I was keeping my weight steady due to playing alot of rugby (training 2 hours aday apart from sundays). I had a huge appetite but was not putting on weight (was not losing it either!)
When I was 17 I damaged my knee (ligaments) playing rugby which was the start of the problems. I could not play so was not getting the exercise beacause I was on crutches but was still eating huge amounts, so, I started to pile the weight on.
It became worse and worse until I now have a BMI of 46 at 22 years old. I have been on countless diets; Weightwatchers (hated the classes as I has the only male), Atkins, Slimming World, 2 personal trainers and lots of fad diets. My old GP gave me Accoplia 6 months ago but it made me depressed (not prone to it though) so came off it after 2 months.

I saw my new doctor today in Leeds and she was very understanding. She refered me to a surgion in Leeds and she seemed to know quite abit about it (she explained that Leeds was very good). She also give me the other weightlose tablets (rudctil?) for the time being until I get my appointment :)

So i have a few questions! How long will it take for the appointment? and when will i find out if im accepted by the PCT? If im not I will go private even though my private Bupa will not cover me :mad:

Thank you

Can't answer any of your qustions James - but just wanted to welcome you to the site .... and hope you hear soon.

Good luck!

Hi everyone, i have just come back from my GP and have been refered :)

I have always had a problem with my weight, I saw some people when I was about 10 in Manchester about it.
I had always been overweight, at 15 I was 15.5 stone but I was keeping my weight steady due to playing alot of rugby (training 2 hours aday apart from sundays). I had a huge appetite but was not putting on weight (was not losing it either!)
When I was 17 I damaged my knee (ligaments) playing rugby which was the start of the problems. I could not play so was not getting the exercise beacause I was on crutches but was still eating huge amounts, so, I started to pile the weight on.
It became worse and worse until I now have a BMI of 46 at 22 years old. I have been on countless diets; Weightwatchers (hated the classes as I has the only male), Atkins, Slimming World, 2 personal trainers and lots of fad diets. My old GP gave me Accoplia 6 months ago but it made me depressed (not prone to it though) so came off it after 2 months.

I saw my new doctor today in Leeds and she was very understanding. She refered me to a surgion in Leeds and she seemed to know quite abit about it (she explained that Leeds was very good). She also give me the other weightlose tablets (rudctil?) for the time being until I get my appointment :)

So i have a few questions! How long will it take for the appointment? and when will i find out if im accepted by the PCT? If im not I will go private even though my private Bupa will not cover me :mad:

Thank you

Hi James

Great news on the referral. I can only tell you from my own point of view but when the PCT received the referral I got notification that I was awarded the funding on the 10th January. They had received the letter (which took weeks from my Dr) in between Xmas and New Year so it wasn't a long wait.

What sometimes happens though is that your case will be put in front of the committee and they may need to ask some questions from your GP and in that case they will write to your GP, and then your case will be reviewed again (worse case scenario there). Fortunately my GP included everything in the letter so they didn't have to ask any more questions.

Good luck and if there is anything else I can help you will just shout xx

cheers, she seamed quite clued on so hopefully she will. I have tried finding information on Leeds PCT guidelines on the BOSPA website and on googlde but could not find anything. I hope they go by the NICE ones then I will be in more of a chance.

cheers, she seamed quite clued on so hopefully she will. I have tried finding information on Leeds PCT guidelines on the BOSPA website and on googlde but could not find anything. I hope they go by the NICE ones then I will be in more of a chance.

I'm sure they do go by the NICE ones in Leeds x

hi james i dont know anything about that because i went private, but worth every penny had it done a year ago and down nearly 8 stone now so at the moment im sitting on top of the world so to speak without leaving a dent lol good luck with it all. lv georgina xxx

Hi James,

I can't say about NHS as I am looking into gastric bypass privately - am waiting to speak to my local Spire next week as the lady I need to speak to is away this week. Should soon be able to let you know how straightforward it is to go private if for some reason the NHS does not work out for you.

Good luck and welcome to a really supportive site - you are among people who really understand!

cheers everyone. Yeah if I dont manage to go on the NHS then I will go private with Bupa i think. Just looking forward to this as my confidence has hit rock bottom.

so in the meantime just take it one day at a time and keep coming back here to let us all help pick you up :p

Hi James
I had mine privately so cant really speak about how long you will be waiting. But i saw my surgen for my first consultaion on the 29jan, and i had my op on the 5april, could of been sooner but i needed a bit more time.

We are around the same age and i have to say i am so pleased and lucky enough to have this done now instead of 10years down the line. I'm only coming up to six weeks post op but i have lost just over 3stone and am feeling great!

good luck!! x

Hi James,
Welcome to the site. Like the others, I'm going private. I booked my consultation for 3 weeks after I phoned Marcus Landauer to go with BUPA in Manchester. It is costing me £10,000 but I'm hoping it will be worth it. My pre-op tests are on tuesday and I'm having the op on May 31st. I could have had mine earlier too, but wanted to wait until after my uni exams. They say that it's safer to have the op when you're younger so go 4 it!!

erm, id like the same I think, id rather have that than the open one. But will have too see what the surgeon says. Is the bypass more common/recomended now then?

I think it depends on what you want and what your surgeon thinnks would be best. Initially I researched the band, but having looked into it I now think I would prefer the bypass but am happy to be guided by what the surgeon says....i think it is an individual thing really. See what happens:D

I had the keyhole bypass. I wanted the band to start with but my Dr said it would be no good for me and also he tends to perform more bypasses than bands these days as he thinks there are less complications! Everyone is different though and with your Dr you will make the best choice for you!

hi james as i said i went private had my consult on 3rd may 2007 had my bypass 31st may 2008 so it was quick lol, i paid £8.500 at bupa in southampton i travelled 374miles because if i had it done in wales where i live it would have cost me £12.500 so a big difference so shop around so to speak phone some private hospitals just to get some price guides if u cant get nhs ok take care lv georgina xxx

hi james, i'm from leeds and went o my doctors week before easter to ask about the gastric band, she said she would refer me ...2 weeks later i had an appointment at nuffields private hospital.prof mcmahon recommended the bypass due to amount of weight i had to loose.
also surprised me by telling me it would be the following month.......wow!
i go for my bypass 6th june all funded by the nhs.surprised,excited and nervous!!!!
good luck james....michelle7272

Hi james

If you get done at leeds your in very very good hands . The main man there is the best in the country.

As for time you will be done and dusted through everything within a year as long as you get funding.
It may seem a long time but it will go very fast and you will have a goal plan todo so the operation is as safe as possible for you. From start to finish once i had funding was 10 months.

Its worth the wait

Good luck

Mark

Hi James,
I'm From Leeds Also, I Think The Surgeon Decides Which Surgery Is Best For For Each Individual Person And There Bmi's.
I Cant Beleive How Fast Its All Happening.....i Went To Ask About The Gastric Band Easter Week ,got A Appointment With Surgeon 2 Week Later Getting Bypass (recommended Due To High Bmi) 6th June.
Have You Been To See Your Doctors Yet?

Back