• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

halve me.... please!!!

halve me

right here we go!! im starting my wls journey tomorrow as day one of my pre-op diet is fast approaching
undecided.gif

just a quick recap of my story so far!! ive always been overweight and I mean all my life... my dad showed me some piccys the other day and I could have cried at how big I was from being 2/3 years... anyway after trying every diet under the sun since the primary school dietician decided I needed help here I am 13 days away from having a gastric band that I hope will change my life for the better.

anyway im 29 and im married to my wonderful hubby and have 2 beautiful girls aged 8 1/2 and 5 years. after my 5 year old was born i didnt recover very well and was diagnosed with a condition called fibromyalgia (fm) it affects all of my body, I have chronic fatigue and chronic pain and found I used food as the best pain killer off all!!

I started my wls journey about 3 years ago when I first asked my dr about the possibility of surgery after trying all the drugs and 'normal' diets she thought I was a great candidate and wrote to the pct to ask for funding. to cut a long story short she went on maternity leave and the matter got ignored, i didnt chase it and tried to again deal with loosing the weight on my own and sadly failed and added more weight to the battle!!! when my dr returned from her maternity leave and I eventually got an appointment with her to discuss the possibility of surgery again and she apologised for not getting it chased up last time as it turned out that I did get the funding but nobody followed it up. She apologised as she thought I could have been 2 year further on in my journey than I am now. But she again applied for funding and luckily they agreed straight away. I have a bmi of 52 and have other health problems my fm is the main one but I am prone to raised blood pressure and a lot of mobility problems due to my fm. I walk with a walking stick and really do struggle to get around. Any little task is huge to me. Just walking up the stairs is a nightmare. So obviously they agreed that the wls was the best option for me.

My first appointment was at Macclesfield 8th December 2008 where I was told by the dr that I was a great candidate for bypass but I stood my ground and told him I only wanted a band!! Now after 18 weeks of waiting for a date I went to my first pre-op appointment, where after worrying profusely about putting weight on from being listed I found I had actually lost 3lbs!! they wondered why my bp was raised as at that stage I hadn't been told my weight was OK!!

so here I am tonight eating anything I can get my hands on before starting my pre-op soup and jelly diet tomorrow for 12 days before my op on the 27th April. I do realise that the next 2 weeks are going to be tough and it doesn't help that I am petrified about having a general anaesthetic
cry.gif

thank you all for reading and hope for those who are pre-op still it gives you hope that one day it will be you! i never thought i would get this close!

p.s sorry its so long!!! i like to waffle!
cheesy.gif

All the best Halve Me. I too am pre op and have my band fitted on 30th April so only a couple of days after you. So we shall be on the loosing side together.

I am so glad you have got what you wanted eventually and i am sure you will loose the weight and start to feel healthier.

Good Luck hun!!

thanks soontobethinsue and good luck for your op hope all goes well for you. what pre-op diet are you doing?

I am doing the low cal shakes and soup for 5 days. However I am considering doing it for 10 days as I would like to loose 10lb before the op and get used to the liquid diet. I have only been given 5 days worth so may have to buy some more or even do milk diet for 5 days after the low cal. Not sure.

good luck!!!

.x.

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck - i just love reading all the stories, its just fantastic to know your not the only one going through it. Stuff yourself silly tonight !!!

hi sue!! thanks for the best wishes i can say i'm definatly stuffed now!! and am going to make my jelly ready for tomorrow!!

thanks gaynor :) not long for you either!!!
day one on the soup and jelly and i woke this morning with a headache from trying to remember that i could only have soup and jelly etc!! and a bad tummy from all i ate the night before... food which i can say i didnt really enjoy??? i am sure that at some point i will put something in my mouth without realising it and then panic!

not done too bad today, went to the cinema not long after waking this morning the smell of the hotdogs got to me a bit but I had my water to sip through the film. yeah!! Ive had 3 soups and 2 bowls of jelly. And loads of drinks. I stood and got a great big smell of the kids fish fingers, chips and peas, was so tempted to just put some in my mouth and taste it!!! but i didnt! Not had too many runs to toilet....yet!!am waiting for that but so glad i have a downstairs loo!!! Can already feel the brain not working too well... not that it did anyway! oh well 1 day down 11 to go!!
undecided.gif

Best of luck to you!

thanks jenni :) wow looking at your ticker you are doin really well! as our stats are quite similar were you also tried to be persuaded by drs etc that the bypass might be better than going for a band?

thanks jenni :) wow looking at your ticker you are doin really well! as our stats are quite similar were you also tried to be persuaded by drs etc that the bypass might be better than going for a band?

Hi there, no I wasn't persuaded because I had to go private and I made it clear that the band was what I wanted. I've heard of a few people having pressure put on them but for me- like yourself, a by-pass just simply wasn't what I wanted.
I'm really pleased so far with the results that I have been getting from the band. I'm having first fill next tuesday. I was a bit iffy about getting it done then but I was having the x-ray and a lot of people do so I booked it - turns out it was good timing as I'm just beginning to want to eat a bit more.
I have already noticed that I'm walking faster and my knees and ankles ache less. I expect with FM these slight but continual changes will really make a difference to you. It's also great to start saying "Hello" to the smaller sad abandoned clothes at the back of the wardrobe ( and the ones in the spare room and the really small ones in the attic)!
I did find the pre-op diet, while hard, really kick started the determined weight loss mindset if you know what I mean - I really hope that the next 12 days go well for you. Let me know how you are doing!

Good luck with your pre op diet and the surgery that will follow. x

Back