• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

halve me.... please!!!

Hiya,

I found that maccs expectations for the pre-op were rather high! I was told i should lose 2 stone, think I lost about 16lbs and I stuck to it religiously.

Also, from memory I think you're under Mr Brough like I was, and he scared the bejesus out of me the morning of the op saying if my liver hadn't shrunk he would sow me back up and he'd know if I'd cheated etc. Even though I hadn't cheated I felt guilty as heck for not losing 2 stone and was convinced I'd come back with no surgery done.

Ignore him, so long as you've stuck to it all your liver should have shrunk properly. Different people carry different amounts of glycogen so we all have different pre-op weight loss.

Hiya,

I found that maccs expectations for the pre-op were rather high! I was told i should lose 2 stone, think I lost about 16lbs and I stuck to it religiously.

Also, from memory I think you're under Mr Brough like I was, and he scared the bejesus out of me the morning of the op saying if my liver hadn't shrunk he would sow me back up and he'd know if I'd cheated etc. Even though I hadn't cheated I felt guilty as heck for not losing 2 stone and was convinced I'd come back with no surgery done.

Ignore him, so long as you've stuck to it all your liver should have shrunk properly. Different people carry different amounts of glycogen so we all have different pre-op weight loss.

hiya shelbell, i know what you mean but mr brough was lovely when i saw him just before my op he was pleased that i had lost nearly a stone and seemed happy, i told him how i had stuck to it!! and thankfully he didnt sew me back up he did it!!! hope your ok and little un ok? x

sorry ive not updated for a while but cant spend too long on the laptop yet!!
im all done and dusted!! im now 5 days post op and feeling better each day, my main problem is my wound being tight and tugging a bit but otherwise no problems!
i arrived at the hospital just before 7am and still didnt really feel as nervous as i thought i would! i was more worried about my hubby worrying about me!! after arriving i was seen by one of the nurses (who were all lovely) and they went through all my theatre check list etc and after changing into my lovely gown and sexy teds stockings (i know how could my hubby resist me!!!!) my cons came and spoke to me and got me to sign my consent form and told me i was second on his list after a bypass, and then i saw the anaesthetist. me and hubby sat watching telly asking if each other were ok at 2 minute intervals!!! and the nurse came in at 10:30 to ask if i was ok and that it wouldnt be long then 2 seconds later came and said they were ready for me!!! Hubby walked me the short distance to theatre and had a bit of a sob! (or there was lots of dust in the air as he likes to say!!)
ive never had an anaesthetic before and was more concerned about that and the state of my liver than thinking any further than that! Theatre staff were lovely so calming! the anaesthatist struggled putting a venflon in my hands and after 3 attempts got one in to give me a sedative that made me stop shaking and then the next thing i remember is waking up mumbling did he do it?? was my liver ok ??!! and then felt a pain in the top of my tummy for which they straight away gave me more morphine.
i was back in my room talking to my hubby 2 hours after walking down to theatre! if i made sense im not sure!!!
Thankfully no catheter just them horrible teds stockings that i have to wear for 2 weeks :( after 2 hours being back i decided i wanted the loo and asked them to help get me up but was too soon and i went all faint and clammy and they quickly put my oxygen back on and lay me back in bed....opps! they said i was ambitious!! i just felt dizzy and sick a lot but i think that was because of the morphine i had had. i started to sip water after coming back from theatre which was lovely after not having anything since midnight the night before!
i slept on and off and was sat up changed into my nightie and going to the toilet on my own by 6pm i felt tired but ok, the night staff at 9pm decided after i had drunk a full jug of water i could have my first cup of coffee and milk for 2 weeks!! it was heaven! had a strange night sleeping on and off and bp checks etc but by 8am i was up, washed and dressed ready to go! the nurse came and asked me if i wanted to try some yogurt i think i nearly bit her hand off!! but could only manage a few licks of a teaspoon full!!!! it was a strange feeling, at this time even though i know my stomach is still swollen i felt like i had made the right decision for me to have a band rather than bypass,
a nurse gave me a bag with clexane for me to inject myself for 6 days and disolvable paracetamol (euch!!) i cannot stand disolvable medication they make me want to be sick especially as now i cannot gulp it down!!! that is strange trying to remember not to gulp anything fast. i had a milkshake the other day and started to gulp and then though s**t i shouldnt do that!!! anyhow i was home and on the sofa by 12md and was happy to be home, tip- make sure you take a cushion and blanket for the journey home!
ive really got a great amount of restriction at the minute, i am struggling to eat more than one teaspoon of yogurt for my breakie, 1-2 teaspoon of soup for my lunch and same for tea. i am managing more each day but am so worried that i dont overdo it. im also struggling to drink i am varying my drink water, orange juice, milkshakes but cannot drink more than a tiny sip every couple of minutes. and to feel full is strange sensation as i very rarely got that before now.
my wounds are tender and im really worried about the staples busting open but they appear ok! im taking it easy but my hubby is off til next week so i will see how i go when i have to sort the kids out etc, luckily my fm is bahaving itself at the minute so that helps but since i started the pre-op diet i have lost 18lbs (since before the pre-op it is now 22lbs) havent lost any since the op but that is prob due to the swelling etc . i did wobble a bit if i had done the right thing as it is hard sorting your brain into being happy with only a teaspoon/one taste of something before you are full. i still feel i want more but i am learning. oh and the wind!! the kids think the burping is hilarious!!
like i say day 5 now and looking forward to healing and getting on with being a looser!!!

Lovely to hear you are doing so well, sounds like things couldn't have gone better. To help get fluids in, try to vary hot & cold. Some people find hot easier, others find cold easier. Hope your recovery goes as well as your op did.

Take care & rest,
Nic;)

Glad it went well, and glad mr B was nice to you! He might have read my post before hand lol, he's made hints about reading what people write online before!

here i am now 3 weeks post op and getting a bit depressed that i have only lost a pound since the op!! it really does not make sense as i have stuck to the diet sheet only had soup and yogurts and drinks prob only having around 500-800 cals a day. i understand in the first week or so the body has healing to do an swelling etc but why has it not moved yet. i have a great restriction its not like im having soup for england! im sure it will start moving soon but needed to rant about it not going sorry!!
next week (4 weeks post op) i can start on mushy food and cant wait for that!! i cant wait to need to use a knife and fork again i am sick of using spoons and bowls only!!

Hi HM

Sorry to hear its still not shifting! have you contacted your provider about it?

You have done really well being on the lquids for so long, as you know I was 'allowed' to go onto sloppies at week 2.

Hope it starts shifting soon!

Maz x

HiYa, Fisrt of all Congratulations on your Op and I am sorry, I have only replied now, I must have missed this post somehow,
You have to remember its still early days for you yet, and you are doing and have done great on your sloppy diet, I don't know much about the band, but what I can gather it takes a couple of fills, before you get a good real restriction, I am sure Liz will be along soon to help you out with this, but I just wanted to say stay strong and hang in there, You will start to lose very soon, Sending big hugs, sorry your going through a crappy time at the mo. HUGS X

Don't be down hearted, it's still early days and you have a lot of time ahead of you, you will lose more it may just be a little slower than you would have liked but you will get there. Congrats and good luck. xxx

thanks for the reply's ladies, they really do help! well i think it, my fat!, has started to decide to leave my body as its obviously not going to get all that fatty stuff it used to!!! i have lost 2 lbs in 2 days now!! i know its early days and it will take time but im so pleased at least 2lbs has decided to disapear!

well done to you now it is starting to shift the right way things can only get better , good luck and best wishes on your journey, there is hope for us all.
kerry
are you on face book

here i am now 3 weeks post op and getting a bit depressed that i have only lost a pound since the op!! it really does not make sense as i have stuck to the diet sheet only had soup and yogurts and drinks prob only having around 500-800 cals a day. i understand in the first week or so the body has healing to do an swelling etc but why has it not moved yet. i have a great restriction its not like im having soup for england! im sure it will start moving soon but needed to rant about it not going sorry!!
next week (4 weeks post op) i can start on mushy food and cant wait for that!! i cant wait to need to use a knife and fork again i am sick of using spoons and bowls only!!

Hi Doll
I had bypass surgery on 27th April and have not really lost anything...everyone keeps saying it will come off, so Im chucking the scales, and hoping for the best! Fingers crossed for us both though hun! xx

salski i know what you mean about the scales i am getting my hubby to hide them and only let me get on them once a week now!! im sure you will start loosing soon also! x

kerry thanks for all your wishes hun im sure we will get you to surgery and the pct wont know whats hit it soon!!! yeah i am on facebook did you get my email address when i last pm'd you? if you did look for me using my email address. x

Back