• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has any one thought about it?

farzu

Hello everyone,
I was just sitting in the hospital for my dietitian appointment and a thought suddenly came to my mind. I was thinking if there is any charity or grants for wls? If not then shouldn't we start one as the Gov is cutting off NHS funds? We are all sufferers and feel the same as everyone feels.

If we could find 10000 people to donate £1 each, or find 1000 people to donate £10 each, we could save and trun around someone's life.

What do you all think of it? We spend a lot of money for smoking, drinking etc etc . There are so many charities for everything including animals but i never heard of any for obese people and WLS. If we can show everyone how we lead our life, people sure will be helping us. I have lots of great ideas about it but need some advice first.

If anyone knows of a charity or geands or want to add anything . You are most welcome.

There are so many obese people in the country who doesn't even know about the surgery. Just think how we can transform soneone's life.

OK i'm getting too excited now lol, but please give me your views.

Last edited:
great idea but how do you choose whos surgery to fund you would be overwelmed with people asking to be the lucky person x

I was thinking of Lottery system. we can put the name of people who needs surgery and just pick up one every month or 2 . there are a lot of groups in FB and lots of people.
what do you think Liz?

wlsinfo.org is a charity for weight loss surgery x

i dont think this would work, as lovely asd it sounds, how do you choose who is the 'deserving candiate' for the wls?... everyone who has a weight problem has a emotional underlying problem that goes with it, so therefore they are all ready vunerable, and quiet desperate people as it is, let alone doing something that they see as a potential life saving op, so could you imagine someone with co morbitys being turned down?!, the emotional impact and desperation could put that person in a even more vunerable desperate situation, eeeeek it sits very umcomfortable with me xx

I was thinking of Lottery system. we can put the name of people who needs surgery and just pick up one every month or 2 . there are a lot of groups in FB and lots of people.
what do you think Liz?

i think initially its a fab idea, but be aware you will get people giving you sob stories to try get surgery sooner or a quick freeby, it could cause alot of conflict, its still a nice idea though x

Last edited:
I agree Liz - nice idea but at the moment the NHS performs well over 2,000 WLS ops a year, goodness knows how many private ops are carried out. Demand would be very high! x

Thanks for the views and ideas. Have to think everything thoroughly first to take any action.

In all honesty i have to say no... I know it's probably looking like i'm saying it because i've had my surgery but it's not. Firstly the emotional lows and highs of people waiting to see if there name was lucky enough to be pulled out would scare the heck out of me. Knowing how desperate it can make people.

I would be interested to see if someone could set up a charity to help obese people, not just with weight loss info as we all KNOW how to lose weight, doing it is another thing. I'd like to see some kind of counselling and also someone helping us fat folk to learn to love ourselves a little bit more. So many times i've heard you all being negative about size etc (your own, not others i might add), how many times i've heard someone moan because they're large and they have kids and don't think kids will love em cos they're fat etc.... We need help to get rid of these silly ideas and help people before they get possible wls.

Weight loss surgery is about fixing the head as well as the stomach xx

A nice idea in principal... and the sentiment behind this is very thoughtful, but in reality... it would be difficult to divide so many deserving cases...

I agree with the worry about funding cuts pending this year and the fact that many doors are likely to be closing for those very much in need.

For sure, there isn't enough importance attached to wls surgery, the implications for those in need and gravity of the surgery for those affected in any event... so in my opinion, wls is very much thrown to the bottom of the 'pile' in many respects sadly...

Thankfully, this forum has raised my awareness more than anything... I'll be forever grateful to you all...

Love and hugs xxx

Back