• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anyone else put on weight with gastic bypass,im a bit annoyed with myself!!!

emma-louise

my new life!!
Hi,

Right....I'm a bit annoyed with myself,I weighed myself yesterday and I've gained 4lbs,I ain't going to lie over Christmas I've made a few bad few food choices as I've been so fed up lately.
I've posted before about me feeling quite low with no energy/mood swings etc
But you take it for granted that you won't ever put weight on with a bypass, and this has teaches me a lesson.
Anyone else put weight on?just so I don't feel an idiot!!!

Hi sweetie, don't be so hard on yourself without your op you would have most prob put a lot more on over the xmas period. I'm only 3 month post op so can not answer your question but i am sure there will be lots of posts to come that will reasure you. At least you recognise where the gain as come from and we all make bad choices at some time or other but just learn from them (I dumped last night for the first time know not to do that again lol) or should I say try not to do that again. Good luck hun and hope someone replies soon xx

Thanks magsy,

Just can't believe I've done this!
How silly am I!
One thing I should have mentioned is this is the first time since 15 months I had the operation that I've actually gained.

Hi, we had my sons wedding last aug and I gained about 3lb in 3 days so your not alone ! i don't think I went that mad as I was only 5 months post bypass but it shocked me ! I'm a slow loser but it came back off within 10 days so I wouldn't worry too much . I hope your not beating yourself up over it. you have done very well and you will lose it ! I think we all let our guard down from time to time after all if we didn't we wouldn't be on here ! Take care x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

happyhilary said:
Hi, we had my sons wedding last aug and I gained about 3lb in 3 days so your not alone ! i don't think I went that mad as I was only 5 months post bypass but it shocked me ! I'm a slow loser but it came back off within 10 days so I wouldn't worry too much . I hope your not beating yourself up over it. you have done very well and you will lose it ! I think we all let our guard down from time to time after all if we didn't we wouldn't be on here ! Take care x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks for this,
Just feeling as though I've really let myself down.

Come on folks love to hear I'm not the only naughty person xxx

Why is that? so you can justify your weight gain to yourself because others have gained too?

On average 30% of WLS post oppers will regain up to 30% of the weight they once lost so you're not alone. However just because some do regain doesn't mean we should be happy with it, or accept it if it happens to us. I see you're in the "this is not going to happen to me" camp which is good.

You are in the danger zone that happens around 18 months or so out, where appetite returns with a vengeance and our bodies start to adapt to get over the malabsorption issues.

So from now on you're going to have to work a little bit harder just to maintain where you are, and if you want to lose more would have to work even harder. Change to lifestyle in the first year are so very important if our relationship with food and exercise is going to change to give us the chance of lifelong success. It won't be easy from now on, and it gets harder as each month passes post op.

So more or different exercise will be required, regular weighing to keep track of your weight every week or so, food diaries to keep check on your intake are a good idea. Go back to the good practices that got you where you are, and back to the basics of good healthy nutrition with the onus on protein first and plenty of fluids

Good luck with it

in well over a year you have only put on 4lb... well youhave done really well hun... now that you are aware of the extra poundage, you know you can do something about it... dont beat yourself up... as Karlos says... back to good nutricous foods... and get back on it!! you can do it!! xx

At the support group last night the nurse Kirsty was saying there comes a time (approx 2 yrs post op) where, like Karlos says, your body has adapted and you can gain weight. This isn't a magic tool that will stop you facing the consequences of poor choices for the rest of your life. Accept that without the bypass you'd probably have gained much more and had more problems losing it again, and move on.

Karlos said:
Why is that? so you can justify your weight gain to yourself because others have gained too?

On average 30% of WLS post oppers will regain up to 30% of the weight they once lost so you're not alone. However just because some do regain doesn't mean we should be happy with it, or accept it if it happens to us. I see you're in the "this is not going to happen to me" camp which is good.

You are in the danger zone that happens around 18 months or so out, where appetite returns with a vengeance and our bodies start to adapt to get over the malabsorption issues.

So from now on you're going to have to work a little bit harder just to maintain where you are, and if you want to lose more would have to work even harder. Change to lifestyle in the first year are so very important if our relationship with food and exercise is going to change to give us the chance of lifelong success. It won't be easy from now on, and it gets harder as each month passes post op.

So more or different exercise will be required, regular weighing to keep track of your weight every week or so, food diaries to keep check on your intake are a good idea. Go back to the good practices that got you where you are, and back to the basics of good healthy nutrition with the onus on protein first and plenty of fluids

Good luck with it

Thanks Karlos,
You are so right, I have took it for granted the past weeks that I still have to work hard.
I think a few changes are needed x

Raynebubble said:
in well over a year you have only put on 4lb... well youhave done really well hun... now that you are aware of the extra poundage, you know you can do something about it... dont beat yourself up... as Karlos says... back to good nutricous foods... and get back on it!! you can do it!! xx

Thank you x

Ruthiep said:
At the support group last night the nurse Kirsty was saying there comes a time (approx 2 yrs post op) where, like Karlos says, your body has adapted and you can gain weight. This isn't a magic tool that will stop you facing the consequences of poor choices for the rest of your life. Accept that without the bypass you'd probably have gained much more and had more problems losing it again, and move on.

Thanks ruthie,

I'm feeling a bit silly...everyone is right,surgery is only a tool and not a miracle.
Im in a size 12 now and very pleased with myself for achieving this,so I'm not going to ruin it for the sake of bad food choices!
Prawn salad for tea!

Thanks all x

Hi Emma-Louise, you are not alone! I also have gained 4/5lbs over the past few weeks, and I'm only 4 and a bit months post-op. It has been a big wake-up call to me, especially as I think I am a slow loser anyway. Wrong food choices and lack of exercise are probably my reasons for gaining - both of which I am now addressing:) I do think that it is a good reminder that we cannot become complacent and whatever got us fat in the first place can continue to do so now! Don't beat yourself up though, just move on and make sure it doesn't happen again lol:)

Thanks Karlos,
You are so right, I have took it for granted the past weeks that I still have to work hard.
I think a few changes are needed x

And I have no doubt whatsoever that you will get a handle on this xxx

I have had weeks were the scales have been unkind only by a couple of pound but find it comes off again a few days later. On the hole I am still loosing though so I dont let them little gains get to me as I know our bodies behave strangly at times with fluid etc.. As long as I know I am making the right choices then the scales will right themselves. Luckily I maintained over Xmas through luck more than anything I had done right. You will get back on track I am sure of it so dont beat yourself up just focus on the future. Good Luck xxx

mandym1 said:
I have had weeks were the scales have been unkind only by a couple of pound but find it comes off again a few days later. On the hole I am still loosing though so I dont let them little gains get to me as I know our bodies behave strangly at times with fluid etc.. As long as I know I am making the right choices then the scales will right themselves. Luckily I maintained over Xmas through luck more than anything I had done right. You will get back on track I am sure of it so dont beat yourself up just focus on the future. Good Luck xxx

Thanks Mandy,

I really need to up my liquid intake,I've struggled with this way before having my operation.
And to get back on to Wii fit x

This site is soooooooo good. Tells you how it is and what you need to do to get back on track. Love the balance as well (Direct approach) and (encouraging approach). Where would i be without all my weightloss buddies. I thank you all xxx

Magsy said:
This site is soooooooo good. Tells you how it is and what you need to do to get back on track. Love the balance as well (Direct approach) and (encouraging approach). Where would i be without all my weightloss buddies. I thank you all xxx

I agree...you can count on Karlos to give you a direct approach when needed,and he did just that!
And I felt better for it x
I can honestly say without this site I would be lost! Especially when you have concerns or worries x

Hello
Im feeling the same im only 7 months post op and i have stalled for the last 2 months very very disheartening, i do believe i have not been making the best food choices this thread is exactly what i have been needing to read! i am away to make a list of high protien pouch friendly foods and get myself to asda :) also ive just poured myself a pint of water i shall drink this before hand.. thank you for the kick up the ass!good luck everyone.. i shall get into the size 12 maybe 10 :) xxxx

also im not eating enough! i have just realised i have no interest in food i need to get into the way of making up nice high protein foods and enjoy them.. i go all day not eating i pick all day.. thats me ill be back next week to tell you about my loss! xx

Back