• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

having a band is no tool to lose weight, its will power

Ah Bella!

It makes me so cross for you reading that you weren't a volume eater but have a sweet tooth AND you told the surgeon this too!

The band does work better for volume eaters, as does the sleeve and wrap - but people with a sweet tooth who would otherwise struggle to give the sweet things up 'usually' would be advised to have a bypass.

You probably now this already if not pre op but deffo post op.

Misconceptions? yes they are everywhere. Over weight people only eat too much, banders melt / liquidise chocolate etc. Neither of them are true but they are something we face over and over again.

What will you do next Bella, do you have a plan b? xx

Hi Mazza, yes I told my surgeon but I just got that "yeah right" vibe of him like I was lying. He did say bypass was probably the best option for me that I could only hope to loose 3/4 stone with the band but that is all I wanted to loose and a friend of my mums almost died getting a bypass and as it was irreversible and twice the price, I thought the band the best option for me.

I am learning to love my body as it is, and eating well not less. I am trying to let old obsessions go and find alternatives to satisfy that darn sweet tooth. I believe now its all about balancing hormones. Getting blood sugar levels more even and just letting what will be, be. Because dieting has not worked thus far and after watching several documentaries eg the men who made us fat, know the diet industry exists to make us fat to sell us a solution that does not work that we keep buying over and over and I am just not buying anymore :)

Last edited:
It's good to hear more about your experiences Bella'sBand. As you say, if it was as easy as 'just' dieting, none of us would be on this forum. I'm a great dieter, could lose weight for England, but keep it off? Not a chance and so much of my life not lived to the optimum because of it.

As Mazza says, do you have a plan B?

It's good to hear more about your experiences Bella'sBand. As you say, if it was as easy as 'just' dieting, none of us would be on this forum. I'm a great dieter, could lose weight for England, but keep it off? Not a chance and so much of my life not lived to the optimum because of it.

As Mazza says, do you have a plan B?

I have lost and gained I do not know how many times so I definitely feel you on that one. I believe the more diets you do, loose, gain it back, plus a few more for good measure is a cycle and dance we all buy into. And if that's the info that is feed to you over and over how did any of us stand a chance to begin with?. I started my first diet at 14 years old at just over 10 stone, and have never seen that number since. Dieting created a cycle that only set me up to fail and gain again, add on some more, then hate myself for just not sticking to the diet. Well I am not hating myself a second more for being on a roller coaster that had no end. The stats on successful dieters is abismal. Oh how I win we could give links on this forum lol. I am now eating smarter not less. I am not perfect at it yet, but I am happier. I support anyone who finds a way that suits them, just sadly the band was it my way.

I can totally appreciate the extra effort that is needed when you are a sweet eater opposed to a volume eater. I have spent the past years trying to convince my Dr that I don't eat alot and my friends would always comment that they didn't understand why I was overweight as I ate less than my slimmer friends. But since having the band it has really shone a light on how I managed to put on weight over the the years and why the weight has not melted ofbas easily as I had hoped with the band.

My surgeon suggested a bypass was best for sweet eaters, but I was determined not to have such an invasive surgery. This has meant that my weight loss has been alot slower, but on the plus side I actually feel alot more proud of myself because I know that there has been more discipline from myself rather than restriction from the band.

The myfitnesspal app is a saviour and I would recommend it to anyone especially when you can't understand why you are not losing any weight.

Hi Sarah.
The dietician does not appear to come to the Southampton clinic and the nurse is only there once and occasionally twice a week so even fitting fills in around my shifts is difficult as my employer does not allow medical appointments during shift time.

Hi Traceystevo
THG didn't discuss anything with me other than when the surgery could take place and if I could leave the deposit there and then - lol
I agree I also could tell the dietician anything over the phone and she wouldn't know any different. I could quite easily have told her I had lost 5 stone instead of 2 and she would have been none the wiser.
Keep going and I hope things are getting better for you?
practicly every time i ring up for a fill they are fully booked and the dietitian is hardly ever there, the nurse is ok but still not much help to me she askes the same question every time are you eating plenty of fish and veg and crunchy food and i dont know how many times i say i dont eat fish or veg this was the rason i wanted the band because all other diets fail as i do not eat fish or veg, they never detured me or said it would not work even though i did not eat them so i just stopped saying it and i agree with the her because i just can not be botherd to explain to her again what i dont eat i last went for a fill in october and was told i can not have another fill because the nurse was not happy that im not losing weight and said i must have a face to face with the diatitian, but then i get an email saying sorry no face to face i will get an email/phone call in december, what have i paid for it puts me off going back:mad::cry:

You are really having a tough time..
I would stick it out with your provider and demand some attention..a dietician appointment and a follow up as to why you are not losing :/

Back